The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Hello

Anyone familiar with an audio interface that works directly with iPhone video camera? I’m looking to use an external mic to record guitar videos straight to the iphone as the actual audio being recorded to the video. I saw the test run video on the Joyo Momix and that’s sort of what I’m going for, though he trialed it to garage band and not to a video. Any input is appreciated.

thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

MV88 - Digital Stereo Condenser Microphone

comes with MOTIV audio/video and fits my iPhone 11

User Info Menu

I like to record with sources going into a "box" the PreSonus AudioBox iTwo, which has a USB for power and another for output to a device. I run the cable from there to my iPhone to record.

Here's a recent one I did

User Info Menu

Thanks for the responses, both very helpful!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BFrench

is it possible to get a cable extension so you could set the mic up further from your phone if needed?
    cheers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzism;[URL="tel:1134427"
    1134427[/URL]]is it possible to get a cable extension so you could set the mic up further from your phone if needed?
    cheers!
    You can buy lightning cable extensions on Amazon starting around $8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone;[URL="tel:1134205"
    1134205[/URL]]I like to record with sources going into a "box" the PreSonus AudioBox iTwo, which has a USB for power and another for output to a device. I run the cable from there to my iPhone to record.

I have a Presonus audio box 44 VSL and so I bought the usb to lightning adapter. I connected the usb output from the audio box to the iPhone and it records direct to the phone video camera. So far so good, but when I try adding the jam track on channel 2 it doesn’t come through to the phone recording though I can hear it in the headphone mix. I tried the other channels and it appears that only channel 1 will print audio to the phone recording. Do you have that issue with the iTwo?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    I have a Presonus audio box 44 VSL and so I bought the usb to lightning adapter. I connected the usb output from the audio box to the iPhone and it records direct to the phone video camera. So far so good, but when I try adding the jam track on channel 2 it doesn’t come through to the phone recording though I can hear it in the headphone mix. I tried the other channels and it appears that only channel 1 will print audio to the phone recording. Do you have that issue with the iTwo?
    It’s probably the adaptor, or perhaps the output is and older usb protocol. I am amazed at the subtle differences among generations of usb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Switch channels and if you have the jam track but no guitar, it’s a stereo data problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BFrench

on your recommendation good sir, I’ve just purchased the MV88 and downloaded the MOTIV app Please forgive these basic questions, but how do you get iReal book to play backing tracks in the background while the video app is open? As soon as I open the MOTIV video app On my iPhone, the iReal backing track disappears. What’s going on?

User Info Menu

Wow, no response. I should have asked about chord scale theory LOL

User Info Menu

Maybe it’s not possible? Ireal Pro does not seem to have a ‘run in background’ setting anywhere (unlike Garageband).

If I run Ireal Pro on my ipad, it goes silent as soon as I launch any other video or audio app (e.g. the camera, music memo, or Drumgenius).

But other people on the forum probably know a lot more about this than I do.

User Info Menu

You could export (‘share’) the audio from Ireal pro to Garageband (save it to the Files - Garageband file transfer option), then open Garageband and drag the audio (select it from the list in the Loops symbol) into a Garageband track. Then run or record in GarageBand (ensure it is set to ‘run in background’ in Advanced settings).

This should let you open a camera or video app, without stopping the Garageband playback or recording.

You might have to combine the video and the Garageband audio afterwards though, I’m not sure about that.

This videoing business is never as simple as one would like it to be!

User Info Menu

Thx Graham. Through some changed circumstances I’ve finished my commitments here and have joined the long cue waiting for a flight to Australia. With some time on my hands I was thinking to do some vid recordings, maybe join in some of the virtual jams, but I didn’t want to spend a lot of time fiddling with gear. Still quite surprisingly in the 21century, some things are still not as plug and play as I would like.
    cheers!

User Info Menu

Somewhat off topic yet on, years ago I was always able to play iReal and have it keep going as I opened up the video recorder app, or any other app for that matter. After one of the IOS upgrades it ceased to be possible. I suspect there is a way to revert back to that setting but would be buried deep in programming.

User Info Menu

Similarly, years ago I had a solo gig providing ambient soundscapes and some groove based music for this yoga group. Thinking about portability I ran my guitar through a small interface made by radial into an iPad. I remember being able to run iReal and an app called JamUp pro through a software router called Audiobus. It worked great. As you say, with upgrades I don’t think iReal is compatible now, at least on iPhone. I’ll check more but I’m easily frustrated and just go back and play the instrument instead of tinkering with gear all the time. Even though I know it’s sometimes necessary.

User Info Menu

The FAQ in ireal pro says it doesn’t work with Audiobus 3 ever since an ios upgrade.

Having said that, I only have Audiobus 2 and ireal pro doesn’t appear there either, as a compatible app.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I like to record with sources going into a "box" the PreSonus AudioBox iTwo, which has a USB for power and another for output to a device. I run the cable from there to my iPhone to record.

Hi Lawson,
    That’s a nice clear recording. Is the backing track running from the phone while you are recording video. How is that being handled?
    cheers!

User Info Menu

Update

I wound up purchasing the Joyo Momix for $125. It is compact and super easy to use. It has three inputs, plug it in to your phone and plug whatever is to be recorded into the Momix. I use it by plugging the direct out from my DV Mark Jazz 12 amp, and an iPad backing track into the momix. The momix plugs into the phone and I hit record on video. I can either mute the speaker of amp and use headphones or I can plug backing track into amp with speaker on and record that mix to momix. I’m still tweaking the levels because there is no meter to see if your clipping. I think it’s great, here is a sample.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzism
    Hi Lawson,
    That’s a nice clear recording. Is the backing track running from the phone while you are recording video. How is that being handled?
    cheers!
    On this track I ran the backing track from an iPad directly into the first channel of the PreSonus iTwo box, and brought the guitar from the DVMark micro50 head's XLR direct line into the other input channel of the box. USB out the back to the iPhone for the audio.

In the computer, I use Screenflow software and adjusted the levels of the backing track and guitar, and then I panned them both to the center before outputting to the MP4 file.

Sometimes I monitor with headphones, "silent stage" recording, but I prefer to have monitoring and hearing my music "live" as I record. But each way works fine.

User Info Menu

Update

I wound up purchasing the Joyo Momix for $125. It is compact and super easy to use. It has three inputs, plug it in to your phone and plug whatever is to be recorded into the Momix. I use it by plugging the direct out from my DV Mark Jazz 12 amp, and an iPad backing track into the momix. The momix plugs into the phone and I hit record on video. I can either mute the speaker of amp and use headphones or I can plug backing track into amp with speaker on and record that mix to momix. I’m still tweaking the levels because there is no meter to see if your clipping. I think it’s great, here is a sample.

Yeah, that sounds great! Good separation between the track and the instrument, very clear definition. What kind of cable do you use to connect the iPAd to the Joyo, or how are they connected ? I live in an apartment so using amps would be problematic for me.
    Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzism;[URL="tel:1146567"
    1146567[/URL]]Yeah, that sounds great! Good separation between the track and the instrument, very clear definition. What kind of cable do you use to connect the iPAd to the Joyo, or how are they connected ? I live in an apartment so using amps would be problematic for me.
    Cheers.
    The appeal of this particular setup is that I can either Play loud or silent. In your case using silent mode is paramount. The iPad for the backing track plugs directly to the Momix with a 3.5mm cable (headphone wire) and the guitar goes through my DV Mark first then comes out the DI output to the Momix. I can either turn the speaker on or off from the DV Mark making it a loud session or a silent. If you don’t have an amp feature like this you can plug directly to the Momix but the tone suffers and you would need to supply reverb with a pedal.

User Info Menu

The appeal of this particular setup is that I can either Play loud or silent. In your case using silent mode is paramount. The iPad for the backing track plugs directly to the Momix with a 3.5mm cable (headphone wire) and the guitar goes through my DV Mark first then comes out the DI output to the Momix. I can either turn the speaker on or off from the DV Mark making it a loud session or a silent. If you don’t have an amp feature like this you can plug directly to the Momix but the tone suffers and you would need to supply reverb with a pedal.
    Hey man, thx for the tips with getting a user friendly recording rig. I went out today and found something similar to the Joyo, a roland Go mixer Pro X. Pretty happy with the results. Well cant do much about the playing, but its super easy and convenient and best of all my wife's not screaming at me to clear the amps and all the crap out of the living room LOL
    Cheers!