The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I’d like to plug my guitar into my Mac (USB-C).

What sort of hardware do I need? I’ve got GarageBand on my laptop. I don’t know anything about this.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Edit: I no longer recommend the UMC22, too much latency when monitoring from the PC while playing guitar (and I don't like direct monitoring a direct guitar line). Get the UMC204HD which has much less latency.

I don't have a Mac but I know that the hardware I have is listed as working on both Mac and PC.

This option has worked great for me:

1- Behringer UMC204HD Sorry! Something went wrong!

2- Amplitube 5 (start with the free version, it just doesn't have as many amps, cabs, pedals, etc. as the pay version) AmpliTube 5 CS amp simulation and guitar gear modeling software

This all will cost you $100.

If you don't have good headphones then it costs more, I like these and they're are one of the most popular studio headphones, probably the most popular at this price: AKG K240 Studio Semi-open Pro Studio Headphones | Sweetwater

If you're interested about how that sounds, here's an example of that interface and Amplitube 5. All this was done, guitar and keyboards, plugged into my computer and monitored with headphones.

Garrison Fewell Improv For Guitar pg 116 - YouTube

Last edited by fep; 07-10-2021 at 08:41 AM.

User Info Menu

I’m just going through this. Just bought an iPad Air which is USB-C . I had an older Apogee One audio interface for an old iMac that I plugged my electrics into and it has a nice condenser mic but yea there’s no option to get it connected via USB-C…. SweetWater was a great help. After telling them what I needed to do Josh suggested getting the TASCAM US 1x2HR audio interface bout $120 and Apple Lightening to USB 3 Camera Adapter. It’ll be in Saturday. You can email or call SweetWater and they are very helpful.

I’m a tech dummie but you’ll have to have an audio interface that’s USB-C to plug your guitar into and ideally an adapter to be able to charge your computer etc like the one I mentioned. I have GarageBand also and it’s gonna take some thinking to get organized to record. This is what I got

TASCAM US-1x2HR USB Audio Interface | Sweetwater
    Last edited by BFrench; 07-10-2021 at 08:54 AM.

User Info Menu

Adapters are available, female USB-A to male USB-C, for very little money. This might work - Electric Guitar to USB Interface Link Cable For PC Computer Recording Studio | eBay

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    I’d like to plug my guitar into my Mac (USB-C).

What sort of hardware do I need? I’ve got GarageBand on my laptop. I don’t know anything about this.
    You need either:
    • an audio interface (such as a Presonus AudioBox or Focusrite Scarlett) + (maybe; I'm not sure what cables the interfaces come with lately) an adaptor to go from USB-B to USB-C, or
    • a guitar/USB-C cable (such as this).

I'm still using an older mac with USB-B and have both an interface and a guitar/USB cable. IME, the interface works much better (the cable can have latency); I'm not sure if the guitar/USB-C cables work better.

Once you're plugged in, you can use the amp simulator plugins in GarageBand are mostly very good (except that the presets can be kind of extreme and you have to tweak them a bit).

User Info Menu

The Scarlett 2i2 from Focusrite costs more than what Frank (fep) suggested but it's a very good product for the money and a lot of guitar players----including jazz guitar players here---use it, so it's easy to find someone to answer any questions you might have about it.

Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen USB Audio Interface | Sweetwater

User Info Menu

I use a Berringer Xenyx 302 USB.

You would need the proper cable to input to your laptop.

User Info Menu

Why not get started right away running into the microphone input jack, through a tuner (or any pedal, bypassed)? Your recording software will have a setting to select the computer's microphone input.

Guitar--->inst cable--->pedal--->inst cable--->adapter to fit little jack--->computer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    The Scarlett 2i2 from Focusrite costs more than what Frank (fep) suggested but it's a very good product for the money and a lot of guitar players----including jazz guitar players here---use it, so it's easy to find someone to answer any questions you might have about it.

Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen USB Audio Interface | Sweetwater
    I changed my post as I no longer recommend the UMC22, too much latency when monitoring from the PC while playing guitar (and I don't like direct monitoring a direct guitar line). Get the UMC204HD which has much less latency.

I'm sure the Focusrite is a good choice, only heard good things about them and they are not that much more expensive than the Behringer UMC204HD.

To the OP, be glad you aren't shopping for this a year ago as they had gone the way of toilet paper.

User Info Menu

Using the focusrite 2i2 and after installing its ASIO drivers, I was able to reduce the buffer size in Reaper on my desktop PC to a point where I cannot hear any latency at all when recording overdubs and monitoring from the PC.

My desktop is a recent one but it’s fairly standard, not high-spec for gaming or anything like that.

User Info Menu

I love my M-audio 2x2 interface. It has a USB-C port, is very easy to use, and has excellent electronics. They make several, starting with the Solo - but I’m not sure the least expensive ones have a C port. Mine was $100 on sale.

User Info Menu

Focusrite and iPad for me. Both USB C but I stick a powered USB hub in between that allows the iPad to charge while recording, adds a USB MIDI keyboard, and has a slot for a memory card. The memory card works and is visible to the iOS file system.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Using the focusrite 2i2 and after installing its ASIO drivers, I was able to reduce the buffer size in Reaper on my desktop PC to a point where I cannot hear any latency at all when recording overdubs and monitoring from the PC.

My desktop is a recent one but it’s fairly standard, not high-spec for gaming or anything like that.
    I use the 2i2 into Reaper on a Windows laptop. I never hear any latency.

I had tried the same thing with Ableton Live a few years ago and the latency drove me crazy. There was a way to remove it, but it took several steps I couldn't remember reliably and which were not obvious.

I set Reaper up by following instructions in a video where the presenter pulls out an old laptop which never had Reaper on it and walks you thru the steps. Easy to follow. Worked perfectly.

I don't know exactly what happened to eliminate latency, but it worked.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BFrench
    I’m just going through this. Just bought an iPad Air which is USB-C . I had an older Apogee One audio interface for an old iMac that I plugged my electrics into and it has a nice condenser mic but yea there’s no option to get it connected via USB-C…. SweetWater was a great help. After telling them what I needed to do Josh suggested getting the TASCAM US 1x2HR audio interface bout $120 and Apple Lightening to USB 3 Camera Adapter. It’ll be in Saturday. You can email or call SweetWater and they are very helpful.

I’m a tech dummie but you’ll have to have an audio interface that’s USB-C to plug your guitar into and ideally an adapter to be able to charge your computer etc like the one I mentioned. I have GarageBand also and it’s gonna take some thinking to get organized to record. This is what I got

TASCAM US-1x2HR USB Audio Interface | Sweetwater
    If they are suggesting a lightning adapter instead of USB-C they obviously have absolutely no idea of what they are talking about! A good USB-C hub with USB-A connectors should allow you to keep using your legacy hardware. Most new versions will also allow you to charge your apple device at the same time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I use the 2i2 into Reaper on a Windows laptop. I never hear any latency.

I had tried the same thing with Ableton Live a few years ago and the latency drove me crazy. There was a way to remove it, but it took several steps I couldn't remember reliably and which were not obvious.

I set Reaper up by following instructions in a video where the presenter pulls out an old laptop which never had Reaper on it and walks you thru the steps. Easy to follow. Worked perfectly.

I don't know exactly what happened to eliminate latency, but it worked.
    I don’t think I had much latency to start with, but anyhow I decided to reduce it as much as possible. I think I got this procedure from a Reaper or Focusrite tutorial, can’t remember now.

Anyway what I did was select ASIO as the audio device in Reaper Preferences (this selects the Focusrite), this displayed an ASIO Configuration option (which controls the Focusrite itself), and in there I reduced the buffer size from the default (which I think was 128) to 64.

So really I think it was the Focusrite I changed, rather than Reaper.
    Last edited by grahambop; 07-11-2021 at 09:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I don’t think I had much latency to start with, but anyhow I decided to reduce it as much as possible. I think I got this procedure from a Reaper or Focusrite tutorial, can’t remember now.

Anyway what I did was select ASIO as the audio device in Reaper Preferences (this selects the Focusrite), this displayed an ASIO Configuration option (which controls the Focusrite itself), and in there I reduced the buffer size from the default (which I think was 128) to 64.

So really I think it was the Focusrite I changed, rather than Reaper.
    Yeah I guess that Reaper setting is adjusting the Focusrite, or changing both?

I have been using 128 and don't notice latency at that setting. At 256 it is noticeable.

User Info Menu

yeah I'm just fussy! Whatever the default was, I noticed a very slight latency. Playing fast lines, I could hear the acoustic sound from the guitar a fraction ahead of the sound coming out of the phones or speakers, which I found a bit distracting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I haven't done much with it, but I went with 2i2. Works great with M1 iMac and M1 MacBook Air. It also worked great with a 2011 iMac with the included USB adaptor.

The setup was one the slickest thing I've seen in 25 years of Macs and peripherals. (I've been making my living with Mac for about 20 years) I was up and running with the included free version Pro Tools First in about 10 minutes. The one I got also has the same kind of option for Ableton. You plug the thing in, it pops up on the desk top, you click it and a instal program fires up. You just follow the prompts and you're recording in no time.

I'm not a recording engineer, but my friends who are recommend it. I think it's well worth a few bucks more.