The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi there,

I'm just getting ready to purchase my first cab mic, my amp is a vox pathfinder 10 (yes I know it's not the best - I'm a student so that's what I could afford).

I have a scarlett 2i2 audio interface which I would plug it into.

I have about 500cad or 400usd at max to spend.

What I've learned from reading the other threads is that a ribbon mic would give me the warmest sound and so I've found these mics:

Another option would be the sm57.

If anyone has recommendations - let me know.

Best,
    C

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Sennheiser 906 (not 609!) is good for guitar cabs live, and for recording. Just hang it over cab and go!

User Info Menu

An SM57 is indestructible, relatively inexpensive, and an industry standard so its eq properties are well known.

User Info Menu

I went through a lot of mics trying to find the most accurate sound. I settled on a condenser. Dynamic mics plain old did not give me the detail that I require, and did not represent the sound of my rig. Dynamic mics are designed around micing live sound - aka being able to handle lots of decibels and compress it down to a useable sound. They're not designed to give an accurate sound. Side note: I actually use a discontinued Pathfinder 15 lol. I did get a new amp tho, but I use the lil open back with a 8" Jensen in there as my cab. But yeah, I urge you to check out condenser mics in your price range as they will give you the most accurate sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Will Box
    The Sennheiser 906 (not 609!) is good for guitar cabs live, and for recording. Just hang it over cab and go!
    I have that more budget friendly 609 and it works fine for me, for live monitoring as well as recording. It’s more hifi sounding or perhaps a bit more scooped than an SM57 or 58 but it’s a fine mic at a better price point than the 906 (imho), but I have never tried the 906, perhaps it’s a lot better in comparison with the 609?

The 609/906 design is ideal to use live (or in small recording rooms), since you don't need a mic stand.
    Last edited by Little Jay; 07-06-2021 at 03:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    I went through a lot of mics trying to find the most accurate sound. I settled on a condenser. Dynamic mics plain old did not give me the detail that I require, and did not represent the sound of my rig. Dynamic mics are designed around micing live sound - aka being able to handle lots of decibels and compress it down to a useable sound. They're not designed to give an accurate sound. Side note: I actually use a discontinued Pathfinder 15 lol. I did get a new amp tho, but I use the lil open back with a 8" Jensen in there as my cab. But yeah, I urge you to check out condenser mics in your price range as they will give you the most accurate sound.
    If you want to capture the ‘whole’ sound as you hear it in the room, then yes, a condenser gives much better results; especially for acoustic guitar of course, but also to capture an amp in a room (if placed at a distance, not right in front of the speaker)

But it depends on your purpose. Live monitoring with a condenser is much more difficult. If you just want to record the sound directly from the speaker then a condenser seems a bit overkill. But it’s a matter of preference.

It never hurts to have a good condenser around. My tip is the Nady PCM 200. At $83 an absolute steel but I have used this in professional recordings with great results and several studio technicians were pleasantly surprised by it, even prefering it over much more expensive ones. All the vocals of our album This Is Eva La Voix were recorded with the budget Nady.

Amazon: Sorry! Something went wrong!
    (Link works!)

Nice test review of budget condensers: 7 Best XLR Condenser Microphones Under $100 - Perform Wireless

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    If you just want to record the sound directly from the speaker then a condenser seems a bit overkill. But it’s a matter of preference.
    Capturing 95% of the sound instead of half doesn't seem like overkill to me. It's more of whether the damn mic is doing its job at all lol. You have to crank the amp to not get a super dull sound using dynamic mics. The guy is using a 6.5" practice amp.. Just trying to save the op some trouble when he wonders why isn't this sm57 working for me when it's so highly regarded. You can still mic the speaker with a condenser to get that up close, compressed sound, it's just more sensitive, more suited to the volume levels he'll be using.

Thanks for the input everyone, in the end, due to the cost restrictions I had, I decided to go with the e609.

With that said I'm still very thankful for the information everyone provided.

Little Jay, Thank you for the budget recommendations - I may also pick up the Nady PCM 200 in the future.

Clint 55, as of your last comment, the next thing I will probably consider is an amp upgrade.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cuppajoe
    Thanks for the input everyone, in the end, due to the cost restrictions I had, I decided to go with the e609.

With that said I'm still very thankful for the information everyone provided.

Little Jay, Thank you for the budget recommendations - I may also pick up the Nady PCM 200 in the future.

Clint 55, as of your last comment, the next thing I will probably consider is an amp upgrade.
    Good choice on the 609! It’s a good budget allrounder that’s very useful for many purposes.
    Last edited by Little Jay; 07-07-2021 at 08:52 AM.