The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Thinking about the ipad air 4 - 56gb. I'm always recording videos on my iPhone and then uploading to my Google Drive. I'd like having Garageband on ipad and hoping there would be an improvement in audio/video using the ipad air 4. I'm guessing 64gb would be enough if I'm moving audio/video off ipad/garageband huh what you think, that is if anyone is using the ipad air 4...wasn't wanting to spend another few hundred for the 256 gb.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not sure what you are expecting to be able to do here. I have an ipad air 2, 32GB and it can take pretty good quality video with the onboard camera (the back camera is HD, the front ‘selfie’ camera is not).

But the audio portion of the video is captured via the onboard mic, which is not great, and I would not normally rely on it for music.

To make an audio recording, I can record my guitar direct into garageband on the ipad using a line 6 gadget which has amp sims etc, this bypasses the onboard mic by going into the lightning connector, and sounds pretty good.

What I cannot do, is perform both activities simultaneously, i.e. record a video via the camera app, while recording audio going via the lightning input into garageband. There just doesn’t seem to be a way of running both applications at the same time. If there is a way of doing this, it would be very useful, but I cannot find anything online that suggests it can be done.

If you are happy with the onboard mic audio, then certainly the ipad can take good videos. But I don’t think you could get the audio part of it into garageband on the ipad, it’s just embedded in the ‘movie’ file.

Whenever I have used the ipad for video, I recorded the audio into another recording device at the same time, then matched them together afterwards (on my desktop PC using video editing software).

User Info Menu

Just seeing if anyone here had any experience with the iPad Air 4. I’m just a home player that is always recording for my own use. I have an iMac with GarageBand but seldom even turn it on, mainly doing acoustic music and was thinking the iPad may be a convenient gadget for couch/patio for most anything I need. I have read good reviews on it.

iPad Air : Completely Redesigned, Available Now

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Not sure what you are expecting to be able to do here. I have an ipad air 2, 32GB and it can take pretty good quality video with the onboard camera (the back camera is HD, the front ‘selfie’ camera is not).

What I cannot do, is perform both activities simultaneously, i.e. record a video via the camera app, while recording audio going via the lightning input into garageband. There just doesn’t seem to be a way of running both applications at the same time. If there is a way of doing this, it would be very useful, but I cannot find anything online that suggests it can be done.

You can have GB recording in the background. Open up a project, then tap on the Settings gear. Go to Advanced, and turn on the Run in Background setting. You should be able to start recording in GB, then switch to the Camera app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Thanks, I just tried it and that seems to work!

Actually I already had ‘run in background’ turned on, I think I originally had to do that anyway, in order to activate the Line 6 app (mobile pod) and also run garageband at the same time. I probably didn’t realise that I could exit both apps (leaving them still running) and then start the camera app as well.

What is very handy is that the captured video used the audio signal from the line 6/garageband audio channel, and ignored the internal mic. I wasn’t expecting that. So if you didn’t need to do any further mixing etc, that video would be fine as it stands, with good audio.

User Info Menu

In fact I don’t even need to run garageband. If I just plug the guitar into the ipad using the line 6 gadget and start the line 6 pod app, then the camera video takes the audio signal from that app. Handy for doing a quick solo guitar video.

If you wanted to video an acoustic guitar with good audio, there are various external mics available for the ipad, and presumably the onboard camera would use the audio from an external mic when connected.

User Info Menu

I'm thinking about the 64gb wifi only. I upload all my iPhone audio/video to my Google Drive account and then delete from iPhone to save storage space. Being that the iPad Air has USB-C connection Sweetwater says the Tascam US- 1x2HR is USB-C and will work if I wanted an audio interface. It's $119...so cost wise $539 for 56 gb iPad Air 4 WIFI only through WalMart

User Info Menu

I haven't messed with any of my devices lately, but I used to plug in a separate mic to my phone or iPad for recording.

I believe that GarageBand and most other apps will use the audio input from any external device that's plugged in and bypass the internal mic.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

There are plenty of reasonably cheap mics for either iPhone (Lightning connector) or iPad (USB-c).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    In fact I don’t even need to run garageband. If I just plug the guitar into the ipad using the line 6 gadget and start the line 6 pod app, then the camera video takes the audio signal from that app. Handy for doing a quick solo guitar video.
    Actually this statement was slightly incorrect, after further messing about I have established that the iPad signal chain is as follows:

Guitar -> Line6 sonic port -> iPad -> ipad Video camera -> Line6 pod app -> garageband (optional) -> ipad headphone output.

In other words, although you hear the Line6 app with its amp sims and effects in the headphones while recording, the audio signal captured by the iPad video camera is just the clean ‘direct’ input guitar signal, without any amp/effects added.

Not a problem to me, as I can treat the guitar sound afterwards by dropping the video file into Reaper and applying a plugin. Or I may be able to feed my amp line out, or a tube preamp signal, straight into the Line6 Sonic port, before it goes into the iPad. (It has a line input for this, although I’ve never tried it).

Anyway, interesting stuff, further tests required!

What I do like about this is that for minimal setup, you end up with a decent quality video, with good clean audio, it’s all in sync, and it’s easy to polish the whole thing up a bit in Reaper on my desktop. (Reaper allows you to edit/process the audio track, and still output the whole thing as a video).

User Info Menu

56gb (thought it was 64?) isn’t much. Spring for more if possible. I use a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 to record the audio into AUM, an AU mixer app, where I load amp sims, EQs, whatever. AUM allows me to capture both the processed and dry signals in case I want to re-amp. The 2018 iPad Pro is beefy enough it can the Scarlett and the 48v for two condenser mics with its own battery- truly mobile. I record video on an iPhone, AirDrop over to the iPad, and use the LumaFusion app on the iPad to marry the processed sound to the video.