The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 84 of 84

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdwaverider
    I have played a number of gigs in the past two years using the Digitech TRIO+ for bass and drums, and its integrated looper for comping melodies and solos. (You may or may not know that the TRIO+ is a joint-development effort between Digitech and Band in a Box.)

I run the TRIO+ through a Harbinger PA system, and the guitar through a Quilter amp. When I'm looping a guitar track, it is channeled through the amp, too. I get great feedback from folks in the room about tune selection, and from other musicians who stop by to remark about the tone. I have seen people walk in off the street at a coffee house I'm playing and start dancing... probably the result of the drums and bass behind me. It's a great feeling.

That said, I've been inviting my bass player buddy to every one of the gigs I have landed as a solo artist in the past six months. Not only is it impetus to become a better guitarist, I think the crowd finds it more interesting, too. He's not always available, so it's nice to have the TRIO+ to fall back on.
    The TRIO+ is an interesting piece
    of gear...would love to hear it in action in a jazz setting. There are some YT's but it sounds kind of stiff to me....but I guess so does BiAB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've started making backing tracks with BIAB, try to only use Real Tracks, generate a song, freeze and export it to mp3. Some of the Real Tracks have regions that don't sound great, I export all the tracks in aif format into Logic Pro X and do a little cut and paste to spruce it up, plus Logic has lots of sound options for any midi that you import from BIAB. Sounds like a lot of work but once you have done it a couple of times, it is pretty easy.

example

I'm using DropBox to share tracks with friends and solo over each others tracks, it's easy to import aif, mp3, whatever, into Logic Pro or BIAB.

User Info Menu

Yes I’ve done that occasionally to get rid of an annoying piano chord or something. I export BIAB as 3 separate WAV files (bass, drums, piano) then import them into Audacity, then I just silence the audio over the selected piano chord or whatever in the piano track. Then export the whole lot back out as a single WAV file and use that as a backing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Yes I’ve done that occasionally to get rid of an annoying piano chord or something. I export BIAB as 3 separate WAV files (bass, drums, piano) then import them into Audacity, then I just silence the audio over the selected piano chord or whatever in the piano track. Then export the whole lot back out as a single WAV file and use that as a backing.
    You can do that within BIAB using the mixer tab ... May be not just silencing a few chords here and there,
    Maybe using their separate RealBand app part of the BIAB package, which offers more advanced capabilities.

This way you even keep control of some BIAB feature, like rapidly changing/editing styles or tempos for experimentation purposes

User Info Menu

this is an extreme example:
    • all piano notes have the same velocity, no dynamics whatsoever. Think: clavichord or a keyboard that is not velocity sensitive
    • all piano notes have been quantized (it’s just a literal midi version of a well done transcription, no micro triplets or 32nd note triplets)
    • the tempo is even (not like a natural trio would play)

Of course, Jarrett is sometimes, like in this example, “touched by a higher power”. In this instance, Jarrett just seems to fly. And even in this example, without volume dynamics or micro timing... there is still some flying going on. You’ll be surprised.

Good accompaniment, computer generated or not, is made by good musicians, with care and patience. If a computer style sounds robotic, it’s been poorly made (think iRealbook, most biab and yamaha styles).

enjoy

User Info Menu

Can Biab play jazz chords?

Computer says...no.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djang
    Can Biab play jazz chords?

Computer says...no.

sorry Djang im missing something, can Biab play Jazz chords or not? if it cant, what can one do to make it play?

I have a very old version of Biab i have not used for about 3 years, may 2010 version i cant remember as its uninstalled, anyway i seem to remember it could.
    irealpro most definitely play Jazz chords.

In fact i dont see why not its only notes, perhaps the naming of chords is a problem like no Diminished Maj7 in ireal. No Major7th #9 etc not tat the last is common at all.

User Info Menu

The funny thing is, some styles play the chord voicings right, but bass notes and piano or guitar riffs are wrong on the intricate chords. For voicings there are special macro notes programmed.

but, if you play tunes like Chelsea Bridge, Nica’s dream or other tunes with explicit mmaj7 or #11’s, the bass and most times piano will mess it up.

The reason it doesn’t “stand out” like a sore thumb is because most parts avoid 7ths or 4ths. But when you have smooth walking bass lines or nice piano riffs, it becomes obvious. I used BIAB since the first version. It has always been like this.

What I do with my styles, and it saddens me, is I avoid the nice upper structures (7, 9, 4). In exchange, I focus on the groove. This way the styles are really happening, but harmonically rather middle of the road.

Since BIAB 2005, I think, drum styles have 120 ticks to each beat, as do all other instruments. This means each beat can have a hit, a note or a rest on any of 120 ticks. If your song is 120 bpm, events can happen every 4 milli seconds (that’s fast!) Take most “sequencers” were you only have 4 ticks to the beat, 16 ticks for each bar, like Korg’s marvelous Gadget app.

Biab is very able to make very elaborate rhythmic styles.
    Styles with a mixture of swing and straight feels, like Samba where the shakers play straight but the timbales and snare drum play a slurred swing. And even odd meters (in a 4/4 frame, cause BIAB doesn’t know anything beyond 4/4.) can be made and sound very good.

it’s a mixed bag. Other softs are harmonically richer, but don’t have the rhythmic potential or the variation of Biab: Yamaha plays every A-, B-, C- part the same way. Biab is totally random (with weighted patterns...), meaning you will never hear two parts the same way. And if the style is well made, it never sounds boring. And I mean, not only my styles, there are styles like Oregon style inside BIAB that are quite good.

i love BIAB and I hate it. But I use it daily with Kontakt libraries and it sounds killer.

Softs like iRealpro are just not there, even though they are harmonically correct. The styles are limited and rather bland, there is a lack of variation or randomness, they are boring

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djang
    Softs like iRealpro are just not there, even though they are harmonically correct. The styles are limited and rather bland, there is a lack of variation or randomness, they are boring

i know you know what youre doing, but will disagree slightly only because irealpro is and was designed as a realbook basic back on a mobile device phone or tablet, i think it was fantastic for when it first materialised, as it gave one access to an instant repository of Jazz Standards and many other tunes be it Rock pop Classical etc etc.

The problem starts when one compares it to dedicated software like Biab (which is a great software) yes there are limitations.
    So for me irealpro is great for what it was designed as, running on mobile low powered devices i know of several pro jazz players who use it on ipads tablets etc.
    instead of carting a book round. I might add they only occasionally looked at something specific. But as a whole knew the tunes.

Ireal can be tweaked a bit after, if used as midi. the sounds i agree are not great, but adequate. i am aware of your work, but that takes and needs a much much higher quality,

things like guitar trio can be exported the harmony voicing used and then played by a piano of your choice, that already gets you out of the normal piano thing/mould.

giving away my secrets here. ha ha