The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 133
    Quote Originally Posted by helios
    The cable is heavy duty too!
    Attachment 55904
    Unless they changed something, the cable is a pain the butt. It was always twisted somehow, or felt like it anyway. I take care of my things, but the cable failed on me at the Y connection a year ago. Only had them for... oh, eight years now... Fair enough. Anyway, I just cut it off and converted them to a single side cable headphones. All good.

I can recommend these as well. Inexpensive, pretty good, much more comfortable than the Grado (for me). Detachable cable, and you get a long straight one and a shortish coiled one in the box, what's not to like. These are the first ones I grab.
    CB-1 Studio Headphones by Status Audio

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

One of the early replies summarized things pretty well and in very details.

A few points though:
    - ear buds are of low audio quality, specially for bass so for practicing with jazz music playalongs this isn't recommended.

- closed headphone are great for listening to music, but not for hearing what you play if the instrument you play isn't part of the audio output connected wuth the headset.

- last but not least, headset can be wired or wireless. Wires around your head/body are a PITA, but wireless headset may suffer from latency (time delay between when music sound is produced and when it is heard in the headset) resulting from the way the wireless systems operate.

My personal choice for playing with a backtrack was an open wireless headset so I can hear my guitar or my bass well, but few quality headset are wireless. I recently acquired an NAIM mu-so audio system with can be bluetooth connected with a smartphone, a computer, etc ... playing the backtracks. .. I love to play along backtracks using it. This device is probably best audio quality among most BlueTooth speakers, but for sure not as good audio as a top end headset.

For that application BlueTooth latency isn't a problem, you play synchronized with the heard audio. But that wouldn't work for recording unless you use a mike to capture the sound of the backtrack and the guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    Sony MDR-7506
    I have those plus the slightly cheaper Sony MDRV6. The latter have very slightly less treble as it’s intended more for listening rather than monitoring. I can only detect the audible difference by going back and forth between them, and I don’t prefer one over the other (but I have old ears). I purchased the MDRV6 for $70 a few months ago. The earpads on both will begin to fall apart in a few years, but replacement pads are readily available, both from Sony and third party. The pads are identical on both models.
    Last edited by KirkP; 09-10-2018 at 07:02 PM.

User Info Menu

I recently got a pair of Philips Fidelio X2 headphones - stunningly good sound and very comfortable. They are the open type, so do leak sound to the outside world, but for home listening, fabulous.

User Info Menu

FWIW I have a Sennheiser over-the-ear model with fabric ear cups. With every other pair that I have had the leatherette ear cups eventually deteriorated away. Most times after only a few short years. Maybe my ears have some wicked acid on them, but I don't think so.

User Info Menu

Im resurrecting this thread as I've decided to get a pair of headphones for my DV Little Jazz. My wife has heard enough of my fumblings and I can't blame her.

I've read through this thread and a few others and I really don't understand much of the conversation regarding tracking, VSN plug-ins, emulators, Ohms, etc. All I want for now is a good pair of headphones to plug straight into the amp. The only thing I've decided I would like is for them to be open-back.

I saw Joe had recommended the Sennheiser HD598SR, but then he said he plugs into some thing that isn't an amp.

Any help would be very much appreciated not only from me, but also my poor wife!

User Info Menu

Headphones are getting better every week these days. That means you can find previous near-flagship headphones for screaming deals (and I'm not even talking about Xmas deals). Audioquest nighthawk, older Hifiman 400 variants, various Audeze...

There are so many options.

You mention open back but there is also "semi-open" back to consider (true open-back will leak a lot - like my Grado GS1000's which are basically just speakers on my head, but others like Hifiman HE400 not as much); there are also some new players that are adjustable open/closed back...never tried one of those.

A very informative website is Headphonebar.com - they are a local company up here but they deliver anywhere and their customer service is top notch. I'm sure there are a few haters out there like with any company and you might find some negative comments if you look hard enough, but believe me...headphonebar is stand-up.

User Info Menu

I must admit I loved my Sennheiser HD400 back in the day.

I currently have some Sony noise-cancelling open-ear headphones that do the trick. I really think unless you're a purist there are many, many options for headphones these days at very reasonable prices.

For in-ear I am a Bose fan. I have Soundsports which are wireless bluetooth. There's also a wired version.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned iRig as an option for a non-amp plugin. It can be set up to work with backing tracks. You can plug your phone into it and then headphones into the phone or bluetooth out. It has a lot of interesting amp and effect modules. Not something I would gig with, but good for practicing and even recording.

User Info Menu

Also just for discussion I have tried closed-ear Sennheisers recently and liked them, but the headphones that really float my boat are B&O's. Every time I try them (at the Apple store for instance) I immediately want a pair, but at ~$300 I haven't gotten up the nerve to pull the trigger yet.

I'm not a headphone addict or an audiophile, but to my ear these headphones elevate the listening experience to the point you think you're hearing something for the first time, which is rare for an audio system of any kind to do.

User Info Menu

I ordered Sony MDRV6's because of their reputation for a really flat EQ. I only use them when I'm the one playing music, though. For more passive stuff, I'm all for ear buds or wireless headphones. It's just that when I'm recording, I don't want to be taken by surprise when I play it in the car (set to flat) and get way too much bass or treble because I was adjusting to accommodate my headphones during recording.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    I...

Any help would be very much appreciated not only from me, but also my poor wife!
    I had a look at the manual, you can use just about anything that has a 3.5mm (1/8") plug. So don't worry much about "best", whatever that means, and set a budget and go buy something. There's no need at all to obscess (sp?)

That said, my go-to brand is Sennheiser. Others will have different opinions.

User Info Menu

Another shout out for the Sony 7506. They're my workhorse headphones for everything. I have three sets that I bought at least 15 years ago that are still going strong, even though the ear pads are looking a little rough on my main set.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FwLineberry
    Another shout out for the Sony 7506. They're my workhorse headphones for everything. I have three sets that I bought at least 15 years ago that are still going strong, even though the ear pads are looking a little rough on my main set.
    The Sony MDRV6 is nearly identical at a slightly lower price. It skips the gold plating and the response is slightly less bright as it’s intended for more for listening than studio. I like the sound of both.
    The pressure of the on ear design makes both Sony models a little uncomfortable for extended listening. The foam degrades after 5 years or so, but replacements are easy to find - both Sony pads and high quality replacements. The Wicked Cushion pads are great Amazon.com: Upgraded Sony MDR 7506 Replacement Ear Pads by Wicked Cushions - Also Compatible with MDR V6 / MDR V7 / MDR CD900ST - Black: Home Audio & Theater
    Last edited by KirkP; 12-22-2018 at 09:48 PM.

User Info Menu

7506s are a little bright and light on the low end, but they're pretty good and workable once you know them. They and the similar V6 have been around forever. The earpads do start to flake after a while.

I have a set of Samson SR850s that are AKG K240 lookalikes by Superlux. Similar Superlux rebrands are sold under many other variants and brand names, like Presonus and Talent (the latter available very cheaply from Parts Express). They are nice, fairly flat phones for the cash, a little more smooth than the 7506s. Everybody's ears are different, but I find them very comfortable and more comfortable than the 7506s for extended wear and practice.

The Superlux phones are most often found as semi-open, but noise leakage is pretty minimal on my SR850s. Might still not want to use them for recording intimate vocals with a click track...

Totally different genre, but I adore Koss KSC75s as my longtime go-to cheap-as-chips portable phone. They punch way above their price point and are one of the few phones I would feel OK doing mixes on. But they definitely leak more than any of the above and are not as comfortable for wear > 1 hr.

User Info Menu

Here’s a nice review of headphones from the engineer for NPR’s Tiny Desk Concerts.
    Tiny Tech Tips: Finding The Perfect Headphones : All Songs Considered : NPR

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    Here’s a nice review of headphones from the engineer for NPR’s Tiny Desk Concerts.
    Tiny Tech Tips: Finding The Perfect Headphones : All Songs Considered : NPR
    The Portapros mentioned are the same basic design as the KSC75s I mentioned, but they have an over-the-head band and use mylar for the drivers instead of titanium. They're great phones too, but the mylar gives them a noticeably darker and bassier sound. The semi-self-tightening metal headband can also sometimes be bad juju if you have either long hair or a bald spot to deal with, be advised. Sportapros are the Portapro mylar driver with a behind-the-head band at a cheaper price. The band can be better or worse depending on your head.

For some reason Grado and the Koss Porta/KSC lineup always get mentioned in the same breath too but I have no love for the Grados. I think they're overpriced, kinda uncomfortable, and less detailed and interesting than the Koss 40mm family.

I may also be the only person who just doesn't get the big deal with the Beyers. I've spent a lot of time with both 770s and 990s and they're fine, but I just don't see why they're such a consistent rec at the price point when I've used a lot of $50-100 circumaurals that are at least as good. They're also a bit warm wearing with the luxuriant velveteen pads.

User Info Menu

I have to put in a vote for the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. They're an absolute standard bearer. Just about every studio I've been in has a few pair even if they're using something more expensive. It's just a great daily driver only $99, which is really great value for the quality. I adore mine for recording at home. So dynamic. Very comfortable. And super heavy duty.

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Closed-back Studio and Live Monitoring Headphones | Sweetwater

User Info Menu

My medical issues/medicines leave me with bouts of insomnia (it’s 5:45 am and I haven’t slept yet). The headphone out jack on my Quilter was as important to me as any of its other features and while my Sony music headphones sound OK, I’m wondering if I should try some studio monitor headphones. I don’t buy beats or anything else that horribly colors the music, but at a minimum I need a longer wire (it uses 3.5mm on each end, and automatically cancels Bluetooth and noise canceling when plugged in) and am thinking avoiding a 1/4” adapter would probably improve the sound as well. But I might also be horribly wrong, so please enlighten me and feel free to share any product recommendations. I’d like a 6’ cord if possible. Edited to add that this is my current model: WH-CH700N Specifications | Headband | Sony US

User Info Menu

Personally I play guitar only in headphones and I use monitor type ones. Advantage of them is that they are built to have flat frequency characteristics, so they don't modify your tone adding too much bass or treble. My model is AKG K72 and I am really happy with them. I think higher model from this line can be only better. There is one important topic when playing in headphones. Does your amp have headphone out with cabinet emulation? Without it sound can get very unpleasant and unnatural.

Wys?ane z mojego ANE-LX1 przy u?yciu Tapatalka

User Info Menu

I bought a pair of ATH-M50X headphones for myself and my wife (piano player) and I don’t regret spending the money. Exceptional sound and comfort.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slusar
    There is one important topic when playing in headphones. Does your amp have headphone out with cabinet emulation? Without it sound can get very unpleasant and unnatural.

Yes, I have a Quilter Interblock 45 and I love this thing. I bought a Bugera V5 first, but it did not a good clean tone for me and it had horrible tube rattle. This Quilter is really better all around.

User Info Menu

Never use headphones, earbuds, etc. Doctor told me they guarantee hearing damage. Not my sensitive ears.
    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 10-13-2019 at 03:27 AM.

User Info Menu

Try an openback circumaural set like the Grado SR80e.

User Info Menu

I use beyerdynamic DT 770's (80 ohm), best in class imo. I finished my last two mixes on those cans instead of on the monitors in the studio, cause I like 'em so much. I also use them on the metro to school because they're closed back. If you try these, you'll know. The ATH's recommended earlier in the thread are also a solid set.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Never use headphones, earbuds, etc. Doctor told me they guarantee hearing damage. Not my sensitive ears.
    I don’t crank it when I play connected. I know about hearing loss after 20 years in the Air Force and repairing air traffic control equipment while jets take off and land 100 meters away. My tinnitus isn’t too bad, but so far that’s the only issue and I haven’t had any tests show damage to any frequencies in my ear.