The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 133

User Info Menu

Not fond of the small earphones only just use them at the gym so them staying on is more important than sound. I don't use headphone too much had some Bose but too flat sounding, typical Bose. I had several sets of Sony cans over the years and like the sound and they are durable.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've become a Grado fan over the last year...more comfortable than my Sony's...but open back, which means they're not for the couch while my 5 month old is asleep on my chest and my wife is watching a DVR'd episode of True Detective.

Still hate earbuds.

User Info Menu

The thing that sells these headphones for me is the digital noise cancelling. It really makes all my music sound so much better. I guess I just live in a world of noise. Tomorrow I'm going to A/B my best set of headphones with the NC Sony and see if it's just my imagination, but I don't think it is. Jeff, agreed on the earbuds - I just can't find a comfortable pair.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Bose has it's haters, but I got a pair of over the ear noise canceling headphones from them that kick ass on a plane or train.
    Word. Especially the newer QuietComfort 15. Much better than my older model, which I think were called QC2.

They don't sound as good as my AKGs, but the noise-cancelling is really useful sometimes.

Apologies to the OP. Bit off-topic.

For something portable...I bought these to wear in bed. I've developed nasty tinnitus in recent months that is driving me crazy. I got these to play white noise/ocean sounds to mask the tinnitus so I can fall asleep. Turns out they sound pretty darn good (for something cheap) and you don't have to cram them into your ears. I've seen joggers wearing them as well.

http://www.amazon.com/AcousticSheep-...eep+headphones
    Last edited by Flat; 06-24-2014 at 11:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Great find, thanks; I've been using "behind the neck" headphones for years for the same reason. I got used to them but not very comfortable. These look much more comfortable.

User Info Menu

I found the thread here from 2010, where the Sennheiser HD 598 SR's got the nod. Are these still the ones to beat for the money ?

I have not had a pair of headphones since my Koss Pro 4A's ....( ! )

I'd like to use them for quieter practicing, and have some questions. In that thread either JoeD or Marty said they don't even plug their amp in - how do they work ? Do you just plug these into your guitar ? If you do plug the amp in, is the amp's speaker automatically disconnected ?

Sorry these are such entry level questions, but I really haven't needed a pair of these........

Thanks.......

User Info Menu

Perhaps it's not as simple a question as it sounds.

First, without a budget target, the question is meaningless.

Second, headphones are driven by an amplifier. There are purpose-built guitar headphone amplifiers, there are guitar multi-fx units that contain amplifiers, some guitar amps have headphone outputs. There are computer setups that let you plug into the computer, one way or another, and hear yourself that way. There are many alternatives. One that exists now is a Zoom G5n - by no means the only choice. In general, you plug your guitar into something and plug your headphones into the same something/

Third, do you want to be able to play along with recordings? Then look for something that supports that.

Fourth, make sure your headphones match the output impedance of the amplifier. Most portable headphones have an impedance of about 32 ohms and don't require much amplifier power to drive. Others, like the Sennheiser HD600 and many others, have impedences in the 100s of ohms and require more amp output to be driven properly.

Fifth, there are earbuds, on-ear headphones, over-ear headphones; there are closed- and open-back headphones. Each has its uses, each has its strong points and weak points. Find what works for you. For earbuds, on-ear, over-ear, pretty much personal choice. For closed- and open-back, the former work better if you want isolation from the world around you, while the latter are better if you want to be able to hear a bit of what's going on, like calling spouses or crying babies.

Sorry I couldn't just give you a statement like "buy the Audix QRZ-3000, they're the best!".

And don't obsess over which headphones to get. Almost everything will work to some degree.

User Info Menu

I use Beyerdynamic DT 770's for absolutely everything - recording, practicing, and listening to music. I recorded and mixed my music production exam using the DT's. I doubt I will ever buy any other headset than this. Nice price, impeccable sound, durable and light, and comfortable to wear (plus, all parts replaceable).
    I suggest you go out and try these cans. I work in music retail, and when people want headphones, I bust out the DT's and some of the competition; audio technica, sennheiser, etc. I then let them A/B all of them using an audio interface, and I've never had a person buy anything but the DT's from me (unless they specifically wanted something else and didn't want to try).

This said, you buy what you like. Go out and try a few different ones, buy the one you fall for

When it comes to getting sound in your cans, if you go direct, it usually won't sound great. Guitar cabinets, as you know, filter out a lot of the less-than-charming frequencies which exist in a guitar signal. Here's some examples I've tried and tested of how to get a usable sound directly into your headphones:

1. Amp/Cabinet modeller. These are digital rack units or floor units that have amp simulating abilities, as well as "mic'ed" cabinet simulation. This is probably my favorite solution, because it is the most compact and usually the didiest - guitar into the unit, and headphones out from the unit. These units also let you build cool stereo rigs etc. really a cool sonic sandbox.
    There's budget friendly alternatives like a used 11 Rack, or a Mooer GE200, and there's the top-of-the-line industry leaders like Axe FX and Kemper, plus Line 6 Helix and Headrush in the middle.
    I'm trying my best to survive in the pop landscape in a capital city in europe, and have saught it necessary to get one of these floor units myself. I landed on a Headrush for its ease of use + I got a great price. Friends of mine who do a lot of pop gigs use mainly Axe FX and L6 Helix. Up to a month until I get mine

2. Amp head and loadbox/cabinet emulator
    You have your amplifier head that you like, and plug that into a loadbox which also emulates the response of a cabinet, and gives you a signal of this into headphones or an audio interface. This is to me the best option if you have an amp that you dig and want to very simply get the sound of -that amp- without making any noise.
    As far as I know, Two Notes' Torpedo is the top dog here. I use a Mesa Cab Clone myself, because it's compact, simple, and passive. It sits comfortably on top of my DV Mark Micro 50 head.
    This is what I currently use at home. I live in tight student housing so I require a quiet home rig because my practice hours are usually early and late.

3. Using a DAW and VST/plugins
    A friend of mine used to do this before he bought his Axe FX when he wanted to practice at home. Guitar goes into an audio interface, which is used with a DAW like Logic Pro in his case, and he would use that program's amp and cabinet models with monitoring turned on to practice. I never thought the sound was -great- with those things, but whatever floats your boat really.
    I used this method on the guitar track in this short exerpt. The click is on because I was doing overdubs and some of the song is without drums and a groove.

4. Multi-effects/stompbox
    Pretty much the same as the first option, but simpler and cheaper. I used to do this using my SY-300 board and GT-5 board. It won't be as great as the other options, but works in a pinch. You can use compressors and EQ's to try to emulate the feel of a cabinet.

User Info Menu

Great questions/info above!!

For another option, check out Grado -- from "affordable" to "way out there!" and all good!

User Info Menu

I saw the Sennheisers had a price of about $150. +/-, and I can live with spending that amount of money. I'd like over the ear, wired, and after that ??

I'd like to use them for practice, rather than using my amp-even at low volume if possible. Not sure what other needs I may may have that were mentioned here, but I liked the Beyerdynamic reference that ' I use these for everything '.

Thx.

User Info Menu

Vox also makes something called amplug, which is something you stick in the guitar output jack, and into which you plug your cans. It's perfectly decent. I have the Vox amPhones which is the same concept but where the processing unit is integrated into the headset itself. Also a decent sound. Good enough headphones for general use, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy

For another option, check out Grado -- from "affordable" to "way out there!" and all good!
    I have a pair of Grados, cost me about $100 I think. They're great, and probably the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned. Lightweight and no ear sweat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy

The cable is heavy duty too!
    Favorite Headphones?-grado-sr80e-1-jpg

User Info Menu

Beyer DT770's are great
    also Sennheiser HD25's are great too
    These are excellent closed back designs ...

User Info Menu

once you get into a certain echelon of headphones..beyer, grado, sennheiser, akg, etc etc...its more about finding the specific tone and comfort levels you like...some people like flat frequency response, others prefer some bass boost etc...

in old days koss 4a's sounded pretty good, but could petrify your brain with weight and discomfort..these days many more (comfortable) options

if you are looking for built in amp/phone thingee...then yes vox amplug gadgets are simple, cheap and effective

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

in old days koss 4a's sounded pretty good, but could petrify your brain with weight and discomfort..these days many more (comfortable) options

cheers
    That explains a lot!:

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    I saw the Sennheisers had a price of about $150. +/-, and I can live with spending that amount of money. I'd like over the ear, wired, and after that ??

I'd like to use them for practice, rather than using my amp-even at low volume if possible. Not sure what other needs I may may have that were mentioned here, but I liked the Beyerdynamic reference that ' I use these for everything '.

Thx.
    I too went with Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro in the 80 ohm version, they've been great.
    They are in that price range you saw for the Sennheisers, but I preferred the DT770

These DT 770 come in three types:
    32 ohm for mobile device, laptops, etc.
    80 ohm for universal studio usage
    250 ohm for mixing decks / interfaces

Unless you have a need for a dedicated application, the 80 ohm will be the most useful.

John
    Last edited by john_a; 09-09-2018 at 11:04 PM. Reason: fixed one spec from 25 ohm to 32 ohm

User Info Menu

I received a set of Sennheiser HD280 pro headphones as a gift, and I like them a lot. Not too heavy, and they sound good to me.

User Info Menu

ps- here's the way vox amplug works...plug it into your guitar and your headphones into that...the little vox amp gives you preset amp tone with some tonal adjustments

basic, but can be useful

old school jazzbo's might like the bass version..or the ac30 version..gainy after that

cheers

User Info Menu

I've never been in a studio (Film/Vid or Sound) where I didn't see at least one pair of Sony 7506's. I've owned several sets, my current set are Japanese vintage, the newest ones I've used were Chinese origin, not sure it matters. I only wish Sony could do an update and make a wireless version with the same form-factor.

One flavor: 63ohm, $100 anywhere

User Info Menu

Dennis, I’m not saying the Sennheiser HD598SR’s are the best, because I’ve never really compared them to anything else like them, but I must say, I think buying them could be the best money I ever spent. My Beats Solo2’s were GREAT sounding but they were enhancing the sound too much. The 598’s transfer sound to my eardrums exactly the way the sound gets recorded. The open back design saves my hearing, and I can also hear my guitar acoustically and everything else that’s going on. Special..
    i also can’t say enough about the Zoom G5n. It has a tuner at the press of a button, Sounds unbelievable, has an auxiliary jack and it is a FANTASTIC digital interface who’s drivers work perfectly with my recording workflow.
    I am enjoying hearing the highest fidelity I could imagine out of a guitar. I don’t play out anymore, so an amp is not important to me.
    What works for me might not work for everyone else. But I hope whatever you do, makes you as happy as I am with my stuff right now.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

I have the Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro, 250 Ohms. I do not have much knowledge about headphones, but I can attest that they are very comfortable, isolate well and sound great. Don‘t know about the 80 Ohms.

I had another question to the knowledgeable: when I record and mic my amp, I‘d like to minimize mic bleeding from other sources, like a backing track. Thus, ideally, I have the backing track and a monitor signal from the recording software in my headphones. Now I find tinkering with a headphone cable and a guitar cable and all that rather inconvenient (mildly speaking). Hence I was looking for wireless options like Bluetooth. The big problem here is latency. With a standard Bluetooth connection it is just too much and it is unusable for recording. I know that there are low latency Bluetooth options, but are they any good? I‘d also rather have earbuds then a bulky headphone set. Do you have a recommendation? Or is there any other wireless option? (I am not looking for amp emulations or the Kemper or Ax or anything like that - all of this is fine to great but I really want to mic the actual amp).

thanks in advance!
    cheers,
    Frank

User Info Menu

I have grado rs1 and they beyerdynamics, both are great, but different.

Grados are not universal tracking headphones though, their design lets them bleed a lot. You will pick up the click track on the mic. But for mixing, they’re incredible.

User Info Menu

Sony MDR-7506

User Info Menu

I also use DT770s. They sounded great to me until I tried a pair of AKG K702s (semi closed). I still use the DT-770s for tracking, but the AKG for everything else. Got them for a good price, which I don’t remember, but it was far under the $350 list.

Steven