The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 55

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    The SM81 works well with classical guitars (a friend of mine has one and gets good results with it).

John
    Another vote for the Shure SM81, or rather a pair of them. The first pointed at the soundhole, the other at about the 12th fret or higher.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Peluso - you might want to give them a look.
    Last edited by Donplaysguitar; 04-20-2021 at 08:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Here's a sample of the sound I'm getting (1st with the melodica and voice, then the guitar solo'd)

Box

User Info Menu

Kris, Now that you listened now the reveal, I'm hoping this will surprise you...

That is a piezo run through two ir's, panned hard left and right, then through a little reverb. The IR's are from 3Sigma and are the Cordoba Hauser IR's
    Attached Images Attached Images The best microphone for recording classical guitar-rebecca-track-panel-jpg The best microphone for recording classical guitar-rebecca-implulsive-jpg The best microphone for recording classical guitar-rebecca-reverb-jpg 

User Info Menu

Here's two of mine recorded with just a piezo, but using IRs. This guitar (a Guild custom shop Paloma) doesn't even have an acoustic sound, but it sounds magnificent live.

And here's an acoustic one, again piezo only with IR, for reference.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Here's two of mine recorded with just a piezo, but using IRs. This guitar (a Guild custom shop Paloma) doesn't even have an acoustic sound, but it sounds magnificent live.

Sounds great.

IRs are a big money saver, my whole list of Cordoba Hauser irs recorded with different mics, was $10. I spent another $20 on 3Sygma's Impulsive plugin which I didn't really need but it does make for a clean and tidy interface and you can load 2 IRs to get a stereo sound (I could do the same in Reaper duplicating the track and using two of the Reaper IR loaders).

Also, I seem to get an annoying sound of my breathing when I record with a sensitive condenser mic, and then there is the issue of how good is ones room for recording and other noise, (wife is vacuuming right now, and I have an occasional dog barking issue). For me I just use piezo and irs from now on, so easy to record with a piezo which eliminates the room and outside noise. Most of all it sounds really good.

User Info Menu

This not expensive pick up is quite interesting:

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I'd like to explain:
    I am looking for a microphone to record a classical guitar solo.
    I do not intend to record with other instruments... as Ralph Towner used to talk about, who only uses a microphone to amplify the guitar.

User Info Menu

good for performance as well

User Info Menu

Maybe some additional reading can help on decision making.

Recording the Classical Guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I'd like to explain:
    I am looking for a microphone to record a classical guitar solo.
    I do not intend to record with other instruments... as Ralph Towner used to talk about, who only uses a microphone to amplify the guitar.
    Ralph has been performing with a Beyerdynamic M160 Ribbon Mic for decades and has added a pickup later on, which he mixes into the signal only for
    the tighter bass response/definition. When recording in a studio there'll be up to 4 high-$$$ Neumann mics around his guitar ....
    Again, the room you'll be playing/recording in is the most important factor and deserves the most care and preparation.

User Info Menu

I would like to avoid mounting a piezo pick up.
    DPA dvote 4099 g looks very interesting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    Ralph has been performing with a Beyerdynamic M160 Ribbon Mic for decades and has added a pickup later on, which he mixes into the signal only for
    the tighter bass response/definition. When recording in a studio there'll be up to 4 high-$$$ Neumann mics around his guitar ....
    Again, the room you'll be playing/recording in is the most important factor and deserves the most care and preparation.
    I talked to Ralph about Frameworks a few years ago. He praised these guitars a lot, so I bought a Framewors modern classic. The RMC pick up plays a major role in these guitars.Standard classical guitars are very difficult to amplify.

User Info Menu

I would like to avoid mounting a piezo pick up.
    DPA dvote 4099 g looks very interesting.
    It also mounts to an archtop tailpiece nicely:

User Info Menu

As others have said, the acousric qualities of the room where you will be recording are critical. How well it is insulated from external sound is just as important as its own internal acoustics - good sound insulating double glazing is a must if there is regular external noise. Don't forget also the noises coming from other parts of the house, so soundproofing doors, walls, floors and vceilings can be critical in a noisy house.
    You then need to look at sound reflections in the room and where you position yourself and the mike(s) to take this into account. Even a few blocks of acoustic panels, well placed can make a massive difference in sound quality.
    Happy hunting down this rabbit-hole!

User Info Menu

Even the computer noise becomes a problem if really going for a high quality recording at home. I sometimes end up having a laptop in another room, via a long cable to the sound card.

User Info Menu

Yes ... There are a lot of problems that's a fact.
    Perhaps I should look for a good piezo.Piezo works quite well at concerts.
    I know this will never replace a good microphone.
    I bought an excellent classical guitar a few days ago.
    The sound of this guitar is so beautiful and natural.
    If you have a very good classical guitar, you can go crazy.

User Info Menu

.. or if you don't! I have a good friend that's a really great classical/flamenco player. He has a Gerundino, a Conde, a Kohno, etc.. Every time i play them i get depressed, as i could never justify paying that kind of money for a classical... Maybe one day!

User Info Menu

Yes ... There are a lot of problems that's a fact.
    Perhaps I should look for a good piezo.Piezo works quite well at concerts.
    I know this will never replace a good microphone.
    I bought an excellent classical guitar a few days ago.
    The sound of this guitar is so beautiful and natural.
    If you have a very good classical guitar, you can go crazy.
    You will be VERY unhappy with any recording made with only the piezo-signal, it will sound totally un-natural
    and the special quality of your guitar will NOT be present. Pickups are a compromise and sometimes helpful
    IN COMBINATION with a mic on stage - in a recording situation any decent microphone will be far better than the best
    pickup.

User Info Menu

The quality of a classical instrument can be completely distorted.What is different about my Frameworks modern classic guitar, in which the mounted RMC piezo fits perfectly with the construction of the guitar.
    I have also old A.Sanchez guitar with piezo plus mic inside.When recording with piezo, you can hear that it is a classical guitar ...but my new classical guitar it is a different world.

User Info Menu

I’ve recently tried recording my classical guitar with an old AKG C1000s mic I got years ago, using the XLR connection on my Focusrite interface.

The room I use is pretty small and fairly dead acoustically (bookshelves, carpet, curtains etc.). I just aimed the mic either at the 12th fret or the bridge, from about 15-18 inches away. Then added a small amount of impulse reverb in Reaper. Sounds quite good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I’ve recently tried recording my classical guitar with an old AKG C1000s mic I got years ago, using the XLR connection on my Focusrite interface.

The room I use is pretty small and fairly dead acoustically (bookshelves, carpet, curtains etc.). I just aimed the mic either at the 12th fret or the bridge, from about 15-18 inches away. Then added a small amount of impulse reverb in Reaper. Sounds quite good.
    AKG C1000s is pretty cool and universal.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

What do you think about it?
    I did a test with my two old guitars today.
    A.Sanchez classical guitar with Fishman Pressys / blend-piezo with internal microphone
    Box
    Frameworks modern classic RMC piezo
    Box