The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I have EZDrummer and like it a lot. I prefer it to BIAB when I'm trying to find the right groove for a song I'm writing.

Would be nice to have some bass too. In the old days, I used a guitar through an Octave pedal. I don't think that's the way I want to go again.

But I don't know how easy this software is to use for someone without a MIDI keyboard.

I really just want solid, basic bass groves for at-home demos of songs I'm writing. And I want them NOW. ;o)

From the manufacturer: EZbass | Toontrack

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have and use it, it sounds pretty damn good. What might interest you, is that it also tracks fantastically. You could play the bassline on your guitar, load it into the program, then just transpose it down an octave. It works quite well.

Good luck

User Info Menu

As another option, playing bass is fun. And as a guitar player it's a fairly easy transition in that you already know where the notes are, technically you probably can get by with guitar picking technique, and they're fun to play. Also, as a songwriter, a tune can start from a bass line that you may have created while practicing.

I have a bass amp but nearly never use it. Bass sounds good plugged directly into an interface, both for practicing or recording. And, since you're already getting familiar with Amplitube4, there are some bass amp sims you can use there.

Sight unseen, I buy basses made by Ibanez, their necks feel comfortable to me. In contrast, a Fender or Squire Jazz Bass, those necks feel strange. I can't speak to the P Bass as I don't have one.

I believe this has to do with being a guitar player, the Ibanez has a guitar style neck profile. They are great values also. For example: Ibanez Standard SR300E Bass Guitar - Iron Pewter | Sweetwater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    I have and use it, it sounds pretty damn good. What might interest you, is that it also tracks fantastically. You could play the bassline on your guitar, load it into the program, then just transpose it down an octave. It works quite well.

Good luck
    Thanks, Vintage. Coming from you, that means a lot---when you say something 'sounds pretty damn good' that would sound great to me.

I like the idea of being able to play bass lines on guitar. I do that sometimes. I used to play through an octave pedal (when I was recording on a cassette 4-track) but that was a pale imitation. (Octave pedals may have improved a lot since then, though.) Also, it was the same guitar playing it...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    As another option, playing bass is fun. And as a guitar player it's a fairly easy transition in that you already know where the notes are, technically you probably can get by with guitar picking technique, and they're fun to play. Also, as a songwriter, a tune can start from a bass line that you may have created while practicing.
    I bought a Fender bass once upon a time and never got real comfortable playing it. Granted, it wasn't a priority. I might be more patient now. But the bigger issue is space: I live in a small Florida condo and my music room is also my library and office. My second guitar (the old Ibanez Artcore) is under the bed because I have no room to keep it out in here. Adding a bass seems out of the question.

Though it would work fine with the Scarlett 2i2, I think, so I wouldn't need a bass amp...

I'll have to think about this.

User Info Menu

Have you ever used wall hangers for your guitar?

User Info Menu

Have you ever used wall hangers for your guitar?
    Nope. Never even thought of that.

User Info Menu

It's a good idea to find a stud or get good anchors. (Just a picture from the internet, not my gear)
    Attached Images Attached Images Anyone have/use Toontrack's EZBass?-61y-ytpir9l-_sl1500_-jpg Anyone have/use Toontrack's EZBass?-wall-hanger-jpg 

User Info Menu

I should also mention, since you have a Tele, you should get the kind of wall hanger that has a swivel/rotation to the part that holds the guitar. I have the String Swing which does work for a tele.

User Info Menu

can't speak to toontrack, but pitch shifting/harmonizing tech has really bloomed since the days of the pedal octave divider/octaver!...in a pinch i'm sure it would be better than fine...but there is something nice about a real bass...consider a shortscale bass....30" scale...squier had quite a few over the years...and danelectros can be nice as well (early carol k!)

a '65 danelectro made silvertone dolphin with flats happens to be my fave go to bass of all time!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    can't speak to toontrack, but pitch shifting/harmonizing tech has really bloomed since the days of the pedal octave divider/octaver!...in a pinch i'm sure it would be better than fine...but there is something nice about a real bass...consider a shortscale bass....30" scale...squier had quite a few over the years...and danelectros can be nice as well (early carol k!)

a '65 danelectro made silvertone dolphin with flats happens to be my fave go to bass of all time!

cheers
    I think among my options I'm furthest from buying an actual bass. I discussed this with my wife and she's fine with it, says it's doable, etc. I really hesitate to bring another instrument into this room. It's small and was overcrowded (mainly with books and file cabinets) for so long that I want to go the other way and shed as much as I can and focus on what I really need to do what I want to do.

If Octave pedals are much improved---and I've heard this before; there's a recent thread on the BOSS OC-5---that could be an option because it would be me playing instead of programming a bass part. And the price is about the same: EZBass is $149 from Sweetwater and a BOSS OC-5 is about $135. Also, the BOSS has effects that could be good for guitar parts. (You can set it to play an octave UP too.)

But when I watch the demos on YouTube it doesn't really sound like a bass. I need some bottom for demos (which are mainly guitar, vocals, and drums).

User Info Menu

Two words: U-Bass

Ok, a word and a letter. But they sound great, take up no space, and are fun to play.

User Info Menu

The real bass guitar is the best solution.
    I/ve recorded with all octavers,efects and midi instruments and I know that all are toys.
    I use great hand made copy of Jazz Bass and I record it straight to DAW.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    The real bass guitar is the best solution.
    I/ve recorded with all octavers,efects and midi instruments and I know that all are toys.
    I use great hand made copy of Jazz Bass and I record it straight to DAW.
    Kris, I agree that the real bass guitar is the best solution.
    I'm not sure it's the most workable one for me now. (Though I may be overestimating the difficulty off adding a new instrument in cramped quarters and, more importantly, getting used to playing it.) And cost is a consideration. My current guitar only cost $200. It feels odd to me to contemplate spending $350 (or more) for a bass I may not play that much.

User Info Menu

I/ve got my bass ocasionaly for $ 300.I do not play it too much.

User Info Menu

$180 new, about the same as EZBass and not far off of the price of an octave pedal Ibanez Gio GSR100EX Bass Guitar - Mahogany Oil | Sweetwater
    Attached Images Attached Images Anyone have/use Toontrack's EZBass?-ibanez-bass-180-jpg 

User Info Menu

$180 new, about the same as EZBass and not far off of the price of an octave pedal Ibanez Gio GSR100EX Bass Guitar - Mahogany Oil | Sweetwater
    That might work. ;o) Thanks, Frank.