The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

I am waiting on the Magnet Kickstarter (THE MAGNET: Smartphone Camera Mount for Guitar by Troy Grady — Kickstarter) but I came across this device. The price is pretty nice for what it is and it works great. Good for examining your right hand technique.

Here is the Etsy link for The Pick Stick: The Pick Stick | Etsy

I'm not affiliated with the seller at all, just sharing a cool product.

Here's a short demo video I shot today using The Pick Stick.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That looks useful and not too expensive. Thanks for the tip!
    Nice playing.

User Info Menu

That is really cool. Both the product and your demo.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

reminded me of this

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    reminded me of this

cheers
    Jimmy was so on top of his game back then. What a player!

User Info Menu

I ordered one. What the heck.

User Info Menu

hah...cool...keep us posted when you hook it up...fun gadget

cheers

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting. I ordered one. I've been waiting on the Troy Grady version but that has taken forever and this is a device that I will use infrequently so the price is well worth the gamble.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    Thanks for posting. I ordered one. I've been waiting on the Troy Grady version but that has taken forever and this is a device that I will use infrequently so the price is well worth the gamble.
    That's what I was thinking! Might only use it a couple times but if it teaches me something useful, it will have been worth it. Then I can rent it out for big bucks.

User Info Menu

hah...cool...keep us posted when you hook it up...fun gadget

cheers
    I will. It has shipped. Should have it by the 19th. (Not coming from Amazon----I ordered a hutch for my desk around 5 PM yesterday and it was on my patio before 11 AM today. This is from Esty, which isn't as fast and it's not free shipping either, but hey, I'm a wild man. ;o)

User Info Menu

Still waiting. Expected it today. (Today was the seller's estimated arrival date.)

Wondering what I'll play when I get it to see what my picking is like.

User Info Menu

It arrived.

Uh-oh. I have a string hopping problem. I got it bad and that ain't good.

Video tomorrow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes

Uh-oh. I have a string hopping problem. I got it bad and that ain't good.

Video tomorrow.
    no worry...you've got 24 hours to get rid of it! haha

cheers

ps- the problem!...not the camera!

User Info Menu

no worry...you've got 24 hours to get rid of it! haha

cheers

ps- the problem!...not the camera!

I wish 24 hours would do it!
    The device came this afternoon while the wife's youngest was here. I just stuck it on the guitar to see how it looked and played a few notes. Tomorrow I'll warm up first and everything.

But I did see enough to realize I string hop like mad. (Even watched a Troy Grady video to make sure that was the right term.)

I've realized lately that I'm less concerned about great speed (-though it would be nice) than with inconsistency when recording rhythm guitar parts. That and speed.

Never a dull moment!

User Info Menu

Okay, here is 30 seconds of my life and hard times. ;o) At Low Volume!

Wanted to film something / anything day one just to see where I'm at. Later, I can check back to see if I've made improvements.

The first thing is a 12-bar Herb Ellis solo. Just started learning it, so it's not an old familiar passage.

The second thing is a Jackie King exercise. (Pick notes 1 and 3, slur notes 2 and 4.) Great exercise. What it shows here is some intense string hopping. My pick strokes are traveling more above the strings than through them. Yikes.

User Info Menu

far better than you insinuated!

a thicker pick might give you the feeling of goin "through" the strings, better...

cheers

User Info Menu

far better than you insinuated!

a thicker pick might give you the feeling of goin "through" the strings, better...

cheers
    It's a LOT of wasted motion. That's a Jazz III pick (1.38 mm?) I don't know that I'll go to something thicker. I like a 1.0 mm Pickboy pick too. (My go-to 351 shape---a bit thicker than a Fender Medium but not too much.)

I have to re-watch some Troy Grady videos and watch my mechanics as I practice.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Okay, here is 30 seconds of my life and hard times. ;o) At Low Volume!

Wanted to film something / anything day one just to see where I'm at. Later, I can check back to see if I've made improvements.

The first thing is a 12-bar Herb Ellis solo. Just started learning it, so it's not an old familiar passage.

The second thing is a Jackie King exercise. (Pick notes 1 and 3, slur notes 2 and 4.) Great exercise. What it shows here is some intense string hopping. My pick strokes are traveling more above the strings than through them. Yikes.

That was quite useful to form your diagnosis. I know from taking golf lessons, for me a video is much more effective in me really recognizing a technical issue, much more effective than words alone.

User Info Menu

Decided to join in. I'm hopping a bit, seems to mostly happen when I try to play faster, which is a bummer. Noodling...

User Info Menu

I've noticed when I try to do DWPS, I feel it in my right shoulder, right at the top. Not a pain; an awareness. It's as if my shoulder is in a different position, one it's not used to.
    As long as I keep it "open" (for lack of a better term), my picking hand doesn't bounce. (I've always known that when I play fast my fingernails clack on the pickguard. I never thought much about why but now I realize it's my hand coming down after moving up.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Decided to join in. I'm hopping a bit, seems to mostly happen when I try to play faster, which is a bummer. Noodling...
    Frank, that didn't look hoppy to me.
    First time I've seen you play with a pick in years, it seems.

User Info Menu

How's the quality? The video looks pretty good. Mine suffered a problem during the printing process and was delayed. Vendor was upfront and explained the delay. I should get it Monday.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    How's the quality? The video looks pretty good. Mine suffered a problem during the printing process and was delayed. Vendor was upfront and explained the delay. I should get it Monday.
    Quality seems fine to me. It's a simple device, 3D printed.

Here's a pic of mine attached to my Tele. (The phone's not in the pic becuase I had to use the phone to take the pic.)
    The two knobs at the left end adjust the device. One is to secure it to the neck and the other is to secure one's phone.

The Pick Stick - Guitar Phone Mount-pick-stick-pic-jpg

Glad to see that this thread was useful for some other folks.

In watching some of the videos I took, I noticed that I was not actually picking some notes that I thought I was.

Here is another video I made of a right hand picking exercise that I do to work on my GJ picking.