User Info Menu

Lots of people do virtual band videos now. How is this done?

It can't be real live playing, can it? Because Latency and all, right?

So click track and a basic (piano?) track and everybody is playing along with that?

Anybody here done it before and willing to share advice, experience, hints, and tips?

(It's not about the basic tasks of recording audio and video, I do this all the time.
    It's about how to organize the "playing together" thing, thank you)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I 've done a few, with other musicians, or with myself as a second guitar. Don't know of an easy way to do it live. When it was me, i played the rhythm guitar with a metronome and then played on top of it. When with another player, one played first and the other played on the recording, so on. Afterwards we match the videos.

The trickiest part for me at first was audio syncing. You want to avoid having to manually sync the audio of every player, cause you 'll never be exactly sure of the result, since you'll be messing with the time feel and groove of every player. So make sure everyone starts with the same audio file or with a metronome click a few bars ahead. This is difficult to do if the others don't have a DAW (and are just sending you an audio recording of their part), but hopefully they do!

Another thing is video format and video frames. The easiest thing is if the formats are the same, and everyone knows in advance how the final screen will be divided, so they can pay attention when they film. Mine ended up in a wide screen format to fit the two guitars!

Also its nice if everyone refrains from using effects if possible (mostly reverb), so you can add them at the final video to have a band mix sound. On the first video, the violinist sent me an iphone recording, and it proved too difficult to match the room reverb with my part..

Here's a couple of the videos i did this way..

User Info Menu

You need a good video editor.
    If you record everything alone it is not a big problem.You record audio sound and next work on it with DAW.
    You can back with new/old wave to the video editor and synchronise with video clip.
    You can record more video tracks and synchronise all of them.When you synchronise tracks you have to know where is a start of next part/solo,comping etc/.
    Think if you plan to made a video clip with another player you have exactly to know who will play solo,theme, comping ect.
    Ofcourse if you get the part/track in video file from your music partner you can work on it with your video editor.

User Info Menu

Great videos and performances Alter and Kris.

It's very similar to multi-track recording that would be done in a studio, i.e. recording individual tracks at a time instead of the whole band playing together. I don't think it can be done live whole band playing together from multiple locations because of latency.

I usually start with a drum track if there is going to be drums. That puts us all to the same tempo/groove. If the drums are played to a DAW metronome lining up is pretty easy if everyone is recording to a DAW. That way everyone just sends stems back and forth, stems that line up from the same starting point, the very beginning of the 1st track. I usually have a two measure click count in on the drum track so the track starts 2 measures before the down beat of the first measure of the tune.

I'm doing one now where the songwriter, forum member Mark Rhodes, sent a video file of himself playing guitar and singing. That track is the starting point and is our "scratch" track. We play to that and the scratch track eventually is replaced as that vocal and guitar part will be redone... the scratch track is eventually deleted (or more likely muted).

Sending large files back and forth, I'm using WeTransfer which is free.

Video editing, I'm using VSDC which is also free. I pay for the "Pro" version is it allows you to see the audio wave forms which really speeds things up.