The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

I’ve learned so much about jazzguitar from this forum that I feel compelled to share info on this awesome new app and bring it to your attention
    (I searched the forum before posting and couldn’t find any thread on it, feel free to delete my post or move it to the other thread if such a thread already exists. I have no affiliation with or financial interest in the app and paid full price for it).

The app, released at the beginning of the year, came just at the right time for me as I was starting to get serious about focusing on chord tones/arpeggios. Bought it last week on the iOS app store (Android version supposedly coming soon) and believe this is the best money I’ve spent on guitar software/information/education ever. In just a few short days of practicing with the app I’m noticing a marked improvement already in my ability to identify and play chord tones/arpeggios - still got a long ways to go and plenty of work ahead of me, but I am confident this incredible tool will help speed things up significantly
    solo

Here’s a link to the Fretboard Anatomy review:
    Should You Buy Tom Quayle's Solo App? - Fretboard Anatomy

App store/download link:Solo - Fretboard Visualization on the App Store

At $15 this app is an incredible value in my opinion. Obviously it’s just another tool and won’t appeal to, or be right for, everyone, but you owe it to yourself to check it out.

It’s worth keeping in mind that this is just the first version, I would be surprised if the ability to enter one’s own chord progressions and tunes won’t be added in future updates/releases

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"since it's intelligent it understands jazz harmony"

lol.

User Info Menu

Not available in Asia!

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    "since it's intelligent it understands jazz harmony"
    lol.
    Agreed, they lay it on a bit thick with the marketing hype :-)

When all’s said and done, however, I find the app has met and exceeded my expectations and I find it a valuable tool for practicing.

Would be curious to hear if others share that experience

User Info Menu

Sølo .. Thru some sort of irrationality I'm deeply offended by that name .. Like some weird Scandi'sploitation

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzism
    Not available in Asia!
    Bummer :-(
    You may wish to look into setting up an account in the US app store
    - I doubt the app is available in the app store of my country.
    I wouldn‘t know, however, as I only have accounts in the US and UK iOS app stores

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Sølo .. Thru some sort of irrationality I'm deeply offended by that name .. Like some weird Scandi'sploitation
    Lol - If I’m not mistaken that letter is part of the Danish alphabet rather than the Swedish one.
    I see no reason to take offense, however, even though I’m from a nordic country. To me it seems more of a pathetic affectation - like they’re trying too hard to be hip and cool and it just comes off lame

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by v281
    Lol - If I’m not mistaken that letter is part of the Danish alphabet rather than the Swedish one.
    I see no reason to take offense, however, even though I’m from a nordic country. To me it seems more of a pathetic affectation - like they’re trying too hard to be hip and cool and it just comes off lame
    Yeah but Ikea's meatballs are legendary and signal replacing every day names with weird scandic sounding words

I'm not going to post the little mermaid or some female detective in an icelandic sweater in order to represent danish scandinavia
    Last edited by Lobomov; 01-19-2021 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Yeah but Ikea's meatballs are legendary and signal replacing every day names with weird scandic sounding words...
    Lol, this is true :-)

...I'm not going to post the little mermaid or some female detective in an icelandic sweater in order to represent danish scandinavia
    Here’s something else one could post to represent the nordic countries

Come to think of it (I really should have picked up on it sooner, but it’s late over here,and chord theory and symbols aren’t my strong suit :-)),the half-diminished m7b5 chord is designated with the ‘ø’ symbol/danish letter isn´t it on lead sheets?
    So I imagine it’s use in the name of the app is intended to be a play on that, rather than “Scandi'sploitation” as you put it (although I must admit that the symbol’s Scandinavian heritage certainly was the first thing to pop in mind when I saw the name of the app initially)

User Info Menu

That is one app to get excited about, especially for obsessive compulsive fellows like me.

Thanks for sharing the info.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by v281
    Bummer :-(
    You may wish to look into setting up an account in the US app store
    - I doubt the app is available in the app store of my country.
    I wouldn‘t know, however, as I only have accounts in the US and UK iOS app stores
    oh, never really looked into it closely. How does one go about it. I thought you need a US address and phone number. Unless you could just input any old bogus details, which doesn’t seem very secure. I suppose App Store would send an SMS to verify the US number you gave them?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzism
    oh, never really looked into it closely. How does one go about it. I thought you need a US address and phone number. Unless you could just input any old bogus details, which doesn’t seem very secure. I suppose App Store would send an SMS to verify the US number you gave them?
    To be honest, it's been so long since I set up those accounts that I don't remember the process specifically, and they have probably changed things since - As far as I remember one only needed an e-mail address at the time and a phone number wasn't required (seems strange that a phone number would be required for an Apple ID on a device like iPad or an iMac since it's not needed to use the device and there is no legal requirement to have a phone number, even if most people do). A US credit card wasn't required either as one can buy Apple/iTunes gift cards online to add to the app store balance.
    Maybe I'm just lucky and my accounts are "grandfathered in"? In any event, where there's a will, there's a way :-) A quick Google search yields several promising results and Youtube videos with instructions for setting up a new AppleID and accessing the app store in a different country. Hope this helps, best of luck with it.