The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

I’m trying to enter a chord progression into the iReal Pro app. I’m trying to use a A7add13 chord. The player will allow me to interact and to save it however it will not play the chord. It tells me the cord cannot be played because it is an “unrecognized chord quality”. I’m trying to copy the progression that is being played in this video at 3:10.

I also noticed that when I write that cord and I wanted to play for two beats and I want to put a D sharp nine to play for two beats they won’t fit in the 4B measure.
    any help would be welcomed.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by antvas1963
    I’m trying to enter a chord progression into the iReal Pro app. I’m trying to use a A7add13 chord. The player will allow me to interact and to save it however it will not play the chord. It tells me the cord cannot be played because it is an “unrecognized chord quality”. I’m trying to copy the progression that is being played in this video at 3:10.

I also noticed that when I write that cord and I wanted to play for two beats and I want to put a D sharp nine to play for two beats they won’t fit in the 4B measure.
    There's no such thing as "A7add13". The chord being played on that video is just A13 (the person on the video is naming the chord incorrectly). To the rest of what you're asking, it sounds like you need to delete spaces in measure in order to fit more chords.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    There's no such thing as "A7add13". The chord being played on that video is just A13 (the person on the video is naming the chord incorrectly). To the rest of what you're asking, it sounds like you need to delete spaces in measure in order to fit more chords.

John
    If I should see an A7add13, and I can't recall one, I would interpret it as the arranger saying to omit the 9th (and 11th, although you usually do anyway) in an A13 chord. 5x567x doesn't have a 9th so it's fine. But, x05422, another A13 voicing, does have a 9th, so it wouldn't work as A7add13. x 12 11 12 12 14 also has a 9th.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    There's no such thing as "A7add13". The chord being played on that video is just A13 (the person on the video is naming the chord incorrectly).
    John
    I second that, just checked it in Band in a Box too, they wouldn't recognize a "7add13" neither.

This guy has a nice overview on his sax website: A Jazz Chord Symbols Chart

User Info Menu

A7add13 is a non standard chord symbol. If I saw it in a chart I would understand it to be distinct from A13 in that it wouldn’t have a 9th in it. So not meaningless exactly?

User Info Menu

Technically you can even have A7add6 as distinct from A7add13. But at some point the composer is better off using the staff notation if the intended voicing is that specific

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by antvas1963

The chord should read A13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

The chord played in the picture is precisely A7add13 (he doesn't bar his pinky to play B, the 9th). But yes, it's the common guitaristic voicing of A13.

User Info Menu

On a related note, we should all boycott IrealPro for their discrimination against guitar in the rhythm section.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Technically you can even have A7add6 as distinct from A7add13. But at some point the composer is better off using the staff notation if the intended voicing is that specific
    Nice!

5 x 4 6 8 x

User Info Menu

Chord symbols are profoundly flawed and limited system. It’s good to treat them with the contempt they deserve as a necessary evil.

OTOH; make your charts as readable as possible, yeah? Use the standard notation where applicable and write out in notation what isn’t easily conveyed in a chord symbol.

Also, if your changes are REALLY advanced, be a good arranger and write out a bassline (based on what Anthony Jackson said to Wayne Krantz lol ‘I think you overestimate my ability’.)

User Info Menu

On a related note, we should all boycott IrealPro for their discrimination against guitar in the rhythm section.
    There is the “guitar trio” option under style.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    A7add13 is a non standard chord symbol. If I saw it in a chart I would understand it to be distinct from A13 in that it wouldn’t have a 9th in it. So not meaningless exactly?
    If I saw it in a chart, I'd assume it's a mistake, based on evidence such as this video.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    There is the “guitar trio” option under style.

Oh interesting. It doesn't give you a guitar option in the instruments but if you choose the guitar trio in the style, the instrument becomes jazz guitar.
    I always suspected IrealPro is written by a musician. Lol.

The guitar sound is awesome. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Is there a ‘not sounding like complete unswinging crap that robs me of the will to live’ option?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Is there a ‘not sounding like complete unswinging crap that robs me of the will to live’ option?
    I just play with the bass player only most of the time. He's pretty solid.

User Info Menu

Actually the jazz guitar sounds good around 190 bpm. I enable the embellished chords and add a little bit of reverb.

Ballad tempos stink.

User Info Menu

Actually the jazz guitar sounds good around 190 bpm.
    I think you have forgotten what music sounds like. Lockdown, man.

(the actual sound to be fair is not that bad for what it is.)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I just play with the bass player only most of the time. He's pretty solid.
    I try to mix it up with backing tracks played by live musicians (or at least a live musician playing into a sequencer) and recordings. iReal is great for practicing in different keys and tempos, but the stiffness is frustrating. I doubt that it actually messes up one's swing feel (at least not if you have one to begin with), but it gets fatiguing, and gets in the way of phrasing.

John

User Info Menu

I wish it had a feature to optionally, say, play for two bars and go silent for two bars etc. A random value for the probability of playing a bar (or going silent during that bar). It could also be not just 1 bar but multiple bar chunks.

For example,
    Bar chunk size=2, probability=50, would mean two bars on, two bars off on average.

Bar chunk size=1, probability=80 would mean playing only 80% of the bars and going silent for the rest on average.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help everyone.