The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Hi Folks,

I recently downloaded the free version of Sibelius to use for music notation software. I did not intend to use it so much for inputting notes but more for documenting a nice clean 32 bar jazz standard with chords and lyrics by bar. I have spent a few hours with it and I believe it has 2 fatal problems for me unless I am overlooking something.

I do not see an option to insert a bar at any point in the middle of my score. I can add one at the end and repeat that but I see no ability to insert bars at any Point in the piece. Is there a way to insert bars in the middle or your piece?

There other problem for me is that there does not seem to be any kind of “undo” or “go back” option from my last keystroke or command when I make a mistake.

The "How to" use Sibelius You tubes I have looked at have not been very helpful. Thanks for sharing any advice or your experience on using this .

Bill

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass Bill Ward
    Hi Folks,

I recently downloaded the free version of Sibelius to use for music notation software. I did not intend to use it so much for inputting notes but more for documenting a nice clean 32 bar jazz standard with chords and lyrics by bar. I have spent a few hours with it and I believe it has 2 fatal problems for me unless I am overlooking something.

I do not see an option to insert a bar at any point in the middle of my score. I can add one at the end and repeat that but I see no ability to insert bars at any Point in the piece. Is there a way to insert bars in the middle or your piece?

There other problem for me is that there does not seem to be any kind of “undo” or “go back” option from my last keystroke or command when I make a mistake.

The "How to" use Sibelius You tubes I have looked at have not been very helpful. Thanks for sharing any advice or your experience on using this .

Bill
    They're both easy to use features on MuseScore, which is free also. I've never used Sibelius or Finale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    They're both easy to use features on MuseScore, which is free also. I've never used Sibelius or Finale.
    Thanks, I think that is probably the way to go. I started thinking why wouldn't the feature to add a bar or measure anywhere be part of the package and you can only add one at the end? Then I thought aha!..... You probably have to upgrade to get that ability.

Happy New Year, Bill

User Info Menu

no, it’s just badly designed

‘Sibelius is a revolutionary piece of software... in that it’s always trying to rise up against you’

The guy who made this vid is now on the Musescore team. M annoyed me when I tried it a couple of years back, but I must try it again as Sibelius is slowly driving me insane.

or join cult Dorico...

User Info Menu

For sure Dorico allows for adding/removing any number of bars anywhere.
    It is much easier to use than Sibelius, based on my own experience.

N-uplets are also much easier to handle/modify. The developpers addressed the problem they already knew

User Info Menu

Hi Folks,

Thanks for these additional comments that confirm my thinking that Sibelius is not for me.

Best Wishes to all,

Bill

User Info Menu

A web search got me to a forum page about inserting bars anywhere (feature availability starts in which version ? no idea)

Sibelius - the leading music composition and notation software

In Dorico, to add or remove bars any where
    - Click on the whitet space in a bar
    - Type "Shift-B"
    - A tiny text entry pop over window appears , in which you type "N" or "+N" to add N bars, "-M" to remove M bars at that point.

User Info Menu

I had Sibelius student version and then switched computers and no longer was going to be a student, consequently the price became way to expensive for me. Tried the free Sibelius and found too many features that I wanted missing from the free version. I think the free version is just a marketing loss-leader, the plan is to get you to pay for the not-free version.

I went to MuseScore and never looked back. I think if I ever go to a pay notation software it would be GuitarPro which seems to be very guitar specific/rich in features.

MuseScore also has an advantage in that it has been widely adopted on this site.

User Info Menu

+1 for Musescore.

I owned G7, which is a discontinued guitar oriented version of Sib. But it wouldn't hide empty staves -- which was a feature I needed.

I tried the free version of Sib, but it was hard to use and stripped down.

Musescore was better. I've done lead sheets and octet arrangements. I've also used Musescore output to put parts into Reaper. Mostly placeholders, but a couple of bass and percussion tracks survived into the final mix and have been played on the radio.

Musescore weaknesses:

Occasionally, something won't be obvious, but in every case but one it has taken no more than a minute with google to figure it out.

It has crashed a few times, but I've never lost anything.

The palette window scrolls too fast -- that's the one thing I haven't been able to fix so far. It's still usable, but not fully convenient.

Given that I had just as much trouble with Sib, more actually, and the price of zero, I fully recommend MuseScore.

User Info Menu

Musecore is fantastic indeed for the price

If you need features only to be found in a more expensive paid version, go for Dorico. Ease of use, plus excellent and quick support direct from the development team (like Sibelius was before being acquired by Avid )

For me the #1 extra feature is the ability to use very good sound libraries to create playalong and arrangement audio files.
    (I must admit I have no idea if musescore can support VST instruments)

User Info Menu

Hi Folks,

Thanks again for the comments, very helpful. I am going to go with Muscore at this time.

Best Wishes to all.

Bill

User Info Menu

MuseScore is fine for adding or getting rid of bars. Just go to "TOOLS" and and one of the choices is "remove indicated section OSLT.
    If you want to add measures anywhere, just go to "ADD" and click on measures, and you can add measures in between spaces, or you can APPEND measures to the end of your piece.

User Info Menu

I think the Insert key adds a measure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Could be, Musescore is a program which offers multiple ways of doing the same thing. The online manual is easy to access while you're working on a score, and you can choose the way of doing it that you remember.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Just tried it, you are correct.