The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you're recording at home or you've even considered modeling, here's a FREE tool that will make the process a lot easier. It's the "Pulse" an interactive IR loader from Lancaster Audio. It removes most of the mystery from the whole concept of IR's and provides a huge amount of tonal flexibility in a single easy-to-use plug-in. It's a great solution for a huge rabbit hole. Here's a link to the product page including the free download.

Pulse - Lancaster

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

modern jazz guitar forum scott henderson (tribal tech and ex chick corea and joe zawinul sideman) is recommend mixir2 or mixir3. He has a/b'd it with real mic'd cabs and in blindfold tests cannot hear the difference. He says that most of the IR processors are bit-clipping the IRs and that mixir2/mixir3 do not and that it makes a huge diff. I haven't personally tried them yet but I trust his ears.

User Info Menu

What do you recommend/use as a (free) amp simulator?
    As far as I understand Pulse IR is only the half of the story, as it is the cabinet simulation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    modern jazz guitar forum scott henderson (tribal tech and ex chick corea and joe zawinul sideman) is recommend mixir2 or mixir3. He has a/b'd it with real mic'd cabs and in blindfold tests cannot hear the difference. He says that most of the IR processors are bit-clipping the IRs and that mixir2/mixir3 do not and that it makes a huge diff. I haven't personally tried them yet but I trust his ears.
    It looks very nice but I like to do my basic learning and experimenting on free add-ins if it's at all possible. $50 is not a lot of money for a quality product but it can add up in a real hurry if you do it often enough.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    What do you recommend/use as a (free) amp simulator?
    As far as I understand Pulse IR is only the half of the story, as it is the cabinet simulation.
    There are lots of ways to use this: a hardware modeler, an add-in modeler VST, an direct line out from an real amp. My first experiments were with Kuassa Amplification Lite, a free VST amp modeler. Then it was suggested that I try Ignite Amps TPA-1 power amp VST (also free). Now I'm experimenting with the line out on my Milkman "The Amp 50" head. I think tat's my favorite so far. It has a switchable speaker emulator on the line out. I have that switched off so I'm getting the amplified pre-amp signal on the line out and then I'm using the Pulse to experiment with IR's so provide the speaker experience in the recording. It's a really interesting process. Since the speakers are added after the fact, I can experiment almost endlessly with changing the actual track and the Pulse allows me to do that very quickly. If I get comfortable with this, perhaps I'll take Jack's advice and look into the Red Wirez loader and spend the money but for learning, a free add-in this powerful is a great way to get started.

User Info Menu

hey Jim, trying to learn some of this stuff, so I am on lower end of the learning curve at direct recording with software. I believe you mentioned you just received a custom cabinet. Wondering why you don't just mike that up. Your sound is so nice and clean. Do you prefer the sound quality in direct recording?