The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

so, since i often need to make quick backup tracks for my students (at least that's my excuse...), i got myself BIAB 2021. i paid 77 euro for a legal pro version key on german ebay. (as opposed to 125 euro at thomann)

it's an impressive and fun toy, but the jazz drums are a bit of a let-down. i'd even prefer to have the drumgenius (Drumgenius Drum Loops - Projazz Lab) midi files over the terry clarke realdrums that come with BIAB. but i assume that this would take quite a bit of tinkering with realband, ableton or similar.

any tips for better jazz drums in BIAB?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

No, I just use the terry clarke ones. You can select a few different substyles within them, for straight-ahead swing stuff I usually go for the ‘Rd Rdbsy’ one (something like that), it plays a bit more aggressively than the others and is not too bad usually.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    No, I just use the terry clarke ones. You can select a few different substyles within them, for straight-ahead swing stuff I usually go for the ‘Rd Rdbsy’ one (something like that), it plays a bit more aggressively than the others and is not too bad usually.
    thanks, graham. i found a terry clark cross-stick sub-style that kinda works. but even the conga-shuffle sounds better than the real drums.

i tried to mix the conga shuffle with regular drums, like groove holmes' misty, but that did not work either. no drums and congas at the same time i guess?

man, mauro from the drumgenius app sure is a genius himself. that thing is the shizzles.

User Info Menu

I just checked it, the terry clarke one I use is variation 03-Ride,RideLd.

I have got some conga stuff but can’t remember what it allows you to do. I think I once exported the drums track then re-exported it with congas selected, then lined up both tracks in Audacity or something. But as you say, it’s a bit of an effort if you’re just after a quick result.

yeah drumgenius sounds great, I have it too. There was that Barry Greene video where he imported drumgenius into ableton, I guess you could export just bass/piano from BIAB and match them up. But I really don’t like ableton, I find it really confusing! I guess I hardly ever use it, so can never remember how to do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    There was that Barry Greene video where he imported drumgenius into ableton
    importing just means recording the audio output from the app, i assume?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    importing just means recording the audio output from the app, i assume?
    yes, I ran the headphone output from my ipad and recorded it into my PC, sounds perfectly ok. The developer did not include an export option for some reason.

I might try sync’ing a DG loop with BIAB just out of curiosity, see how viable it is. I would expect a bit of drift, I’d be surprised if they both maintain an exact tempo match over several choruses. But it might be possible to ‘stretch’ the drum track slightly to correct that, Audacity has a very good quality effect for doing that.

User Info Menu

Ok I have had quite a good result with this. I took a Drumgenius Jack de Johnette 173 bpm loop and recorded it to my PC for about 4 minutes. Then I took a BIAB song I already had set up (Autumn Leaves), set it to 5 choruses at 173 bpm, muted the drums, and exported the BIAB bass and piano to a WAV file.

Then I imported the DG file and the BIAB file into 2 tracks in Reaper, lined them up, and they played back in sync for the whole 5 choruses. Sounded pretty cool! I suppose 2 programs should be able to calculate and hold a precise tempo between them, I’m always a bit wary of this kind of thing not working.

So with a bit of effort and a DAW, this seems quite feasible. I may start using this approach a bit more!