The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 41

User Info Menu

As you can see, I'm working in cramped quarters. This is the 'music room' in the condo I share with my wife. Knocked the mixer off the top of the file cabinet this morning (-not the first time) and felt like Groucho Marx in the movie "Room Service". "Room Service? Send up a larger room."
    But there is no room service in my home, so...

I've been thinking I could use a library table. They're wide and sturdy. Also expensive but perhaps I can find one used.

Are there good alternatives I should consider?
    This shows promise: Access Denied
    Not as sturdy as a library table but it does have a tray for wires to run along, so they don't pool on the floor. That's a plus.

I'd prefer to spend under $300. But since this will be a long-term, daily-use item, the priority is something solid that I can't easily break.

Feeling cramped: need table  for home studio-home-studio-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Given this is for your home studio, I would consider size first.

You may get reference speakers at some time and will want to create a near field triangle. My table/desk is 63" long, 32" deep, and has adjustable legs which I have so the table is 31" high. This is the minimum size that I want and I'm very happy with it, it's very sturdy. I'm thinking I got it at Ikea, but maybe it was Lowes or Home Depot. It's pretty simple, just a table with a sliding shelf for a keyboard and mouse.

I have a cheap drawer thing under on the right and under on the left some home built shelves.
    Attached Images Attached Images Feeling cramped: need table  for home studio-20190420_080435-2-jpg 

User Info Menu

Thanks, Frank. I like the adjustable leg idea. I think filing cabinets (2-drawer) are 26 inches high, so if one lays a formica countertop across two of those, it would make a sturdy table top but it would be too short for me to sit at comfortably.

31 inches sounds much better. That extra five inches would make a big difference. ("That's what she said!"---Wife and I have been watching "The Office" again.)

User Info Menu

I'm looking underneath, it's got steel reinforcement. Pretty sure I could stand on it, but I won't.
    Attached Images Attached Images Feeling cramped: need table  for home studio-20201009_085140-2m-jpg 

User Info Menu

Looks sturdy enough. I wouldn't stand on it either and I'm a heavier fellow than you are. ;o)

I don't like things that go wobbly. Can you slap your hand down (ha!) on it without jarring coffee out of a cup?

User Info Menu

When I had to set up a temporary sub station at a friends house, we used a hollow-core door sat on a pair of saw horses. It wasn’t much to look at but we had loads of space and the height was good. Not a small space solution but quick, cheap and easy to put up and break down.

This is the desk I’ve been using since 1993. It’s got a table top over two rolling racks with a second tier that sits directly on the table. Paid $150 used back in the day.
    Attached Images Attached Images Feeling cramped: need table  for home studio-da34784c-8195-48e3-8288-2981ad802d3d-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Looks sturdy enough. I wouldn't stand on it either and I'm a heavier fellow than you are. ;o)

I don't like things that go wobbly. Can you slap your hand down (ha!) on it without jarring coffee out of a cup?
    Shaken not spilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images Feeling cramped: need table  for home studio-bngjorz-jpg 

User Info Menu

Goodwill? St. Vincent de Paul? Or your local equivalent thrift store? Might find something that’ll do. It would be cheap.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    Goodwill? St. Vincent de Paul? Or your local equivalent thrift store? Might find something that’ll do. It would be cheap.
    I'll look. (I'm near a Goodwill and pop in there fairly often but haven't found anything yet. They usually have a few old desks, but those won't do.

User Info Menu

6 ft kitchen table is a fairly minimum standard size for organizing a home music work station.

User Info Menu

I'll look. (I'm near a Goodwill and pop in there fairly often but haven't found anything yet. They usually have a few old desks, but those won't do.
    A few years back I got a lot of good stuff from a computer retailer that was going out business and paid very little for it. I must admit that I now sometimes regret it with the amount of accumulated gear and crap that I have stacked on it. But you are probably smarter and better organized than I am.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    6 ft kitchen table is a fairly minimum standard size for organizing a home music work station.
    That could work. Similar to a rectangular library table. Cheaper, though, and easier to find in a thrift shop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    When I had to set up a temporary sub station at a friends house, we used a hollow-core door sat on a pair of saw horses. It wasn’t much to look at but we had loads of space and the height was good. Not a small space solution but quick, cheap and easy to put up and break down.

This is the desk I’ve been using since 1993. It’s got a table top over two rolling racks with a second tier that sits directly on the table. Paid $150 used back in the day.
    Those tiers look really useful! I will be keeping them in mind.

User Info Menu

Feeling cramped: need table  for home studio-ikea-jpg

I got a table from Ikea and added a tier to it. Just a 12" wide X 6 feet long piece of pine 6"s high. I put monitors, the 22" display and some other things on the tier.
    Lots of room.
    Last edited by Stevebol; 10-10-2020 at 03:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol

I got a table from Ikea and added a tier to it. Just a 12" wide X 6 feet long piece of pine 6"s high. I put monitors, the 22" display and some other things on the tier.
    Lots of room.
    I've looked at Ikea stuff the past few days. It's priced right and everyone I know who has bought any Ikea stuff has said it was good and durable.
    I can get a pine table for $79 that looks nice.

User Info Menu

I've looked at Ikea stuff the past few days. It's priced right and everyone I know who has bought any Ikea stuff has said it was good and durable.
    I can get a pine table for $79 that looks nice.
    This might be the one I have. It's very sturdy. I don't recall why I spent so much when the same can be had for half the price;

BEKANT Desk, black stained ash veneer, black, 63x31 1/2" - IKEA

Feeling cramped: need table  for home studio-music-table-jpg

It was easy to add the tier. I took a look at Goodwill and Salvation Army first. No luck so, Ikea.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    This might be the one I have. It's very sturdy. I don't recall why I spent so much when the same can be had for half the price;

BEKANT Desk, black stained ash veneer, black, 63x31 1/2" - IKEA

Feeling cramped: need table  for home studio-music-table-jpg

It was easy to add the tier. I took a look at Goodwill and Salvation Army first. No luck so, Ikea.
    That Bekant is over 5 feet wide, which is a big plus. (Most tables I've seen under $100 are 4 feet wide. But I have a 2-drawer filing cabinet which has a flat surface I can keep a practice amp on.) Also, 31 inches high is nice. Many are 29 inches. Not a deal-breaking difference, but if you store some things under the table, it's just easier to get down there to get 'em out. ;o)
    For us---those using this as a workstation-- appearance is secondary. (People want their dining table to look nice but no cares what a guitar player's workstation looks nice.)

I'm thinking one of these Ikea tables for around $80 bucks is in my future. I'll check Goodwill and the Salvation Army some more first, and I'll ask a supervisor at the library what happens to old tables when they buy new ones. A 3-piece band could jump up and down on those things and not cause a wobble.

User Info Menu

How wide do you want to go?

User Info Menu

Don't know how sturdy these are. I think they also com in light colored wood, and all black.

On-Stage Workstation Rosewood Black | Guitar Center

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    How wide do you want to go?
    Four feet minimum, six feet maximum. (It's a small room...)
    Adding tiers would be nice. I think it best to do like Steve and get a good table then add tiers as needed.

User Info Menu

Four feet minimum, six feet maximum. (It's a small room...)
    Adding tiers would be nice. I think it best to do like Steve and get a good table then add tiers as needed.
    I agree, if you're handy. Just stay away from those cheaper add-on pull-out keyboard trays. They are floppy and bouncy. But I have seem some nice sturdy ones at work.

User Info Menu

Yesterday a thought popped into my head: the tables in my condo's clubhouse might be just the thing.
    6 feet long.
    Seat 8 (though I only want to seat one--me--at my workstation).
    Only $55. (One can pay more and get something that looks woody.)

Feeling cramped: need table  for home studio-61k0czxwohl-_ac_ul115_-jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Best-ChoicePr...2602500&sr=8-2

User Info Menu

I'd go for the one that doesn't fold (unless you need it to fold). I think it might be more sturdy than the folding one and you don't have the crack in the middle.

You can adjust the height of this one: https://www.amazon.com/Office-Star-M...cd_asin_1&th=1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I'd go for the one that doesn't fold (unless you need it to fold). I think it might be more sturdy than the folding one and you don't have the crack in the middle.

You can adjust the height of this one: https://www.amazon.com/Office-Star-M...cd_asin_1&th=1

Right. I don't want one that folds in the middle. The legs fold in (if you need to move it.)

I'm now thinking I will order this tomorrow afternoon. The top is a bit slick, I think, but I could plop a desk calendar on it to give me a writing surface. Lot of room underneath this thing too!

User Info Menu

Dang! Price of the table went up 10 bucks since yesterday---he who hesitates is gouged!