The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Don't know how sturdy these are. I think they also com in light colored wood, and all black.

On-Stage Workstation Rosewood Black | Guitar Center
    Did you read the reviews, Woody? Ha, ha. All over the map.

Probably a good table, as long as one does not get their hopes up to high. Many of the usual compliants about holes not lining up for screws. $214.00 seems expensive to me, but it really is a decent price considering the market.

I would like to see one in person.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ordered the banquet table yesterday for $62.49. Not as sweet a price as $54, which was the lowest figure I saw quoted, but better than $67, the highest.

Won't be here for a week but that's okay. I'm going to have to rearrange a lot in my room to make way for it. It's a problem I'm happy to have. I've needed to make this change for some time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Ordered the banquet table yesterday for $62.49. Not as sweet a price as $54, which was the lowest figure I saw quoted, but better than $67, the highest.

Won't be here for a week but that's okay. I'm going to have to rearrange a lot in my room to make way for it. It's a problem I'm happy to have. I've needed to make this change for some time.
    I just hope it's not too wobbly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I just hope it's not too wobbly.
    Me too! I've sat at such tables with a group of people having dinner---no wobbling.
    A music workstation is different, I know.
    But initially, at least, there won't be much weight put upon it (relative to what it can hold): laptop & small speakers, small mixer, DI box, headphones, practice amp (17 pounds), Blue Yeti mic, maybe a portable CD player

One advantage (he said, optimistically) to a table like this is that there's a good bit of room underneath it to store.

Eventually: I'll want near-filed monitors and probably a digital audio interface (such as a Scarlett 2i2) that allows me to record guitar and vocals at the same time (but on separate tracks) Those things aren't heavy. So I think wobbling won't be an issue. If it is, that will surely suck and it would bother me, so I would have to do something about it.

If, say, in a year I want a much more serious setup and need a workstation designed as such, having to part with a $60 table will not break my heart.

For now, the main thing (for me) is to get used to recording, to have a setup that's comfortable and Just Do It for awhile. Then when I see the results of that and want to get better, I should have a better sense of what I would need to make that happen.

Thinking out loud...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes

If, say, in a year I want a much more serious setup and need a workstation designed as such, having to part with a $60 table will not break my heart.

For now, the main thing (for me) is to get used to recording, to have a setup that's comfortable and Just Do It for awhile. Then when I see the results of that and want to get better, I should have a better sense of what I would need to make that happen.
    Good philosophy.

User Info Menu

The table arrived. Might take a while to figure out the best way to organize the area, but this is what my music room looks like today.
    Near field monitors will soon be added.
    Feeling cramped: need table  for home studio-img_2372-jpg

User Info Menu

Before retiring one of my jobs was to design control centers for satellites and military command and control. One thing you discover about consoles is that what they make and what you need are two different things. It's easier to manufacture squares and rectangles. However a curve will give you the open feeling you don't get with an 'L' while giving you almost as much working space within easy reach. Unfortunately not that easy to find with good materials and workmanship, lower storage and a decent price tag.

Not this item, but this shape is a good starting point.

https://www.amazon.com/Flash-Furnitu...1&sr=8-54&th=1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Before retiring one of my jobs was to design control centers for satellites and military command and control. One thing you discover about consoles is that what they make and what you need are two different things....

Not this item, but this shape is a good starting point.

https://www.amazon.com/Flash-Furnitu...1&sr=8-54&th=1
    I hear you!
    Years ago I worked in a diamond-shaped gatehouse at a Palm Beach condo. There was a cabinet of monitors in front of me to watch. I had a chair that fit up under an opening in the desk. On both sides were angled wings with cabinets. I had SO much room to spread stuff out AND remain close enough to reach it. There were also tiers in the windows, more shelving. I don't think I'll ever have a "work station" I like better.

The round table you show appeals to me.

User Info Menu

I used to work in the reactor control room of a nuclear submarine. I climbed up about 2 feet into a chair that swiveled in two dimensions. In front and above and to the back and sides were hundreds of meters, lights and switches. The ergonomics of this console was used to design the space capsules for the ‘60s space program.

That’s the best console I ever worked at.

User Info Menu

I bought a 2nd 17" monitor to have a better 2 monitor situation, or so I thought. It came too big, looked at my order, doh, 27".

So, I'm going with it, one 27" monitor. This does result in a cleaner workspace. I've got all my cables running around back (except for my mic cable). I slide the keyboard forward to play it. The power strip next to the left speaker is to switch on the speakers, other power strips are behind or under. Built the monitor (and laptop) stand and have less often used stuff underneath like my korg padkontrol and my BIAB hard drive.

Built shelf on left, the mixer and power amp is no longer being used, just storing it there.

Interface, note everything I need is always plugged in. 1) my condenser mic. 2) sm57 on guitar amp 3) carvin mic (like an sm57) on my bass amp 4) to a direct box which I usually use when recording bass or guitar.
    Attached Images Attached Images Feeling cramped: need table  for home studio-workstaion-small-jpg Feeling cramped: need table  for home studio-shelf-small-jpg Feeling cramped: need table  for home studio-interface-small-jpg 
    Last edited by fep; 07-04-2021 at 01:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Interface, note everything I need is always plugged in. 1) my condenser mic. 2) sm57 on guitar amp 3) carvin mic (like an sm57) on my bass amp 4) to a direct box which I usually use when recording bass or guitar.
    That's such a good thing----everything ready to go when you are!
    You have a very neat setup. Mine---not so much....

User Info Menu

I'm back at this.
    The table I bought (-shown above) did not work out. It was wide enough and long enough but, when seated in front of it, too much was out of reach.
    I've been thinking about this----the RAB Audio ProRak LS840 Studio Workstation---for months now. 400 bucks at Sweetwater. More than I wanted to spend, but after a few added months of frustration working in too-cramped a space, I think the time is coming for this.

My wife wants to know what I want for my birthday. This is a bit much for a birthday present (-in our household, anyway), so she can put whatever she wants toward it and I'll cover the rest and thereafter call it something she gave me. (She gave me my Tele two Christmases ago and I like that connection.)

Feeling cramped: need table  for home studio-prorakls840b-jpg

I like it that I could put my speakers and (video) monitor on the top shelf, easily within reach but not in the way of things placed below. The pull-out tray could hold a musical keyboard. (Don't have one now but one of these days...)

RAB Audio ProRak LS840 Studio Workstation - Black Trim | Sweetwater

User Info Menu

You can't beat mass for stability.

We have a 1.5" thick, 3 ft x 5 ft maple butcher block table sitting on metal "a-frame" legs from the Carolina Leg Company. The tabletop weighs, IIRC, 110 pounds while the legs come in at around 70 pounds. It doesn't shake, even when my wife uses it to operate her embroidery machine or as a cutting table. That's probably sturdier than you need for a computer workstation.

However, those plastic tables that were cited shake and wobble like Saturday night's drunk in Sunday morning's church. They're cheap, light, and portable; but they're not sturdy.

Sturdy doesn't come cheap.

Try a workbench from the hardware store. Home Depot website shows some that look serviceable.

Edited later: I guess this is OBE. The workstation bench from Sweetwater looks like a good idea.
    Neon Vines (multi-instrumentalist, producer, multitasker extraordinaire) somewhere on YouTube shows what gear she uses. She has pretty nice desks and says what they are and where she got them.
    Last edited by dconeill; 09-08-2021 at 11:03 PM.

User Info Menu

I’ve been using the same desk since ‘93. It’s got two rolling racks on casters that a table top sits on. There’s then a slant-top piece that sits on the table top that works great for my small room. I think I bought it for $200 back then from a music store in Bowling Green KY. Feeling cramped: need table  for home studio-970d63ad-6ef7-48ed-9714-86f306c205dc-jpg

User Info Menu

I ordered that desk (the RAB LS840). It was out of stock but I got a call from Joel at Sweetwater today telling me it was in and would ship to me tomorrow (10/6).

As it happens, my wife bought me a nice ergonomic chair for my birthday. So it won't be long until I have this desk set up and a nice chair to sit in while working at it. I've been productive lately, so I have at least 6 new songs to record. (It's why I'm not posting much nowadays...)

User Info Menu

You're letting actual work and playing interfere with posting? For shame!