The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,

after a long time I start to play JazzGuitar again.
    I use an iMac and of course a Fender Deluxe Reverb.

For exercises and recording I want you to ask which sound interface I should buy. I will use it for direct Recording or recording via Mic.

All the Best Michael

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

They are all pretty good these days.
    I just upgraded my old one to the SSL2 and I am happy.
    The hardware monitoring is good and it has a high Z switch which makes going direct nice.

User Info Menu

Another happy SSL2 owner. I'm coming from a second generation Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. Ignore the access denied. Clicking the link will take you to Sweetwater's website.

Access to this page has been denied.

User Info Menu

For basic recording, almost any consumer-grade interface will be up to the task. Focusrite are popular for their good value. I have an older Model that predates the Scarlet line that still works just fine. I’ve been using an RME UC for several years and love it for its internal mix software, Totalmix, and its clinical-sounding pres. I think that deciding on a budget and shopping according to that and how many inputs you need will serve you well.

thank you all - i think i need maximum inputs of two - one for guitar/one for vocal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzHifi
    thank you all - i think i need maximum inputs of two - one for guitar/one for vocal
    It almost doesn't matter which one you buy these days because pretty much every interface on the market is good. Anything from Presonus, Focusrite, Yamaha, Alesis, M-Audio, Behringer, etc., will be fine for most purposes; and all of those companies (and others) offer different versions of the same core interface and features, but with different numbers of inputs and outputs. Tells us how much money you want to spend and which models are available where you are, and people may be able to offer recommendations (FWIW, I use the two-input version of the Presonus Audiobox USB).

John

User Info Menu

Unfortunately, during this pandemic most audio interfaces have become unavailable. I'm seeing some starting to become available now.

I agree with what has been said about there is great quality across different brands and price points. Given that, I'd be looking at features and price.

For example, the ability to hear your direct input for zero latency monitoring is very important. Also, I really like the "mix" dial on the interface which is not universal. This dial to the hard left and you'll only hear the direct input of your instrument or mic, hard right and you'll only hear the tracks from your computer DAW, between those extremes and you'll blend those two sources to get a good monitoring balance while you're recording. Many (most?) audio interfaces have this, I'd recommend looking for that feature.
    Last edited by fep; 09-28-2020 at 12:01 PM.

User Info Menu

I just looked at the Presonus AudioBox USB 96, that has the features that are most important to me... zero latency direct monitoring, the "mix" dial, midi in/out, 48v phantom power... and a good price at $99.

THX !
    I think I will spend about 200 - 300€.
    And yes I think Latency is an important point....

those ?

Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen

Steinberg UR22 MK2
    SSL 2
    Native Instruments Komplete Audio 2
    MOTU M2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzHifi
    THX !
    I think I will spend about 200 - 300€.
    And yes I think Latency is an important point....
    At that price you might want to consider this one which is really feature rich: Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD

That one has all those other features and more like multiple outputs, 4 channels, channel inserts (for external hardware like compressors, eq's etc.), ability to toggle between two sets of speakers...

Even though you are just doing vocals and guitar, four channels are still handy. It's nice to have everything setup and ready to go. I have a condenser vocal (or acoustic guitar) mic in channel 1, a sm57 mic from my guitar amp speaker in channel 2, a carvin (sm58 type of mic) from my bass amp speaker to channel 3, a direct box to channel 4. This enables me to not have to plug anything in after the initial set-up. Also, I often use 2 channels when recording bass or electric guitar, one channel for the mic on the amp speaker, and a second channel from the direct box, recording direct and thru an amp at the same time.

If I had 6 channels, I'd have a couple more condenser mics setup for when I want to record acoustic guitar with two or three mics. With four channels I'm unplugging and plugging things in for the two or three mic acoustic guitar setup.

User Info Menu

If you intend to record directly from guitar into the interface preamp do not buy Behringers, even though they are feature rich. I was a happy user of UMC 404 and 1820 for several years. Now I use Focusrite gen2 and its preamps are really much better than those of the Behringers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by msankowski
    If you intend to record directly from guitar into the interface preamp do not buy Behringers, even though they are feature rich. I was a happy user of UMC 404 and 1820 for several years. Now I use Focusrite gen2 and its preamps are really much better than those of the Behringers.
    I have the UMC 404HD myself and have been happy with it. I've only heard good things about it's midas preamps.

I was wondering if you could give some detail/specifics of the problem you had and how to hear it. I want to try to listen for it myself.

For example but not related to audio interfaces, I remember someone saying they were hearing "artifacts" from Band In A Box realtracks especially if the tempo is changed to far from where they were originally recorded. I tried to hear it, soloing tracks and listening for pops, clicks, distortions, etc. I couldn't hear it. I asked if he could explain what to listen for and he said it's similar to a very slight chorus pedal effect. Then knowing what to listen for I could hear it.

User Info Menu

As I declared in my previous post, I was a happy user of UMC404HD for few years. There is nothing wrong with, it has multiple inputs and outputs, and good, updated drivers.

Focusrite Scarlett has better preamps. I realised that, as soon as, I plugged my guitar into it. I am not an audiophile and cannot describe it colorfully. The guitar simply sounds much better through it.

User Info Menu

Okay thanks.

Am I able to use one of those Soundcards also for iPad with USB Power form the iPad or battery?

(The Motu M4 should also be a very good soundcard)

User Info Menu

I use a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 with both the desktop and an iPad Pro. The iPad can power the Scarlett standalone.