The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

I’m a newbie to backing tracks. For years I’ve thought they would be great over playing alone. I just haven’t gotten around to it. Any suggestions welcome. I have a blue tooth speaker I’m thinking of using. I like various genres. Any links for free stuff would be great but I’m open to subscribing.

Actually , I have Spotify, and I just searched there and they have some. That’s a start.

Thanks .

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Update to add Spotify has lots of tracks. Just no tips like chords or key.

User Info Menu

Aebersold now has a streaming service: https://streaming.jazzbooks.com/

Their backing tracks are usually great but I haven't tried this new streaming service. Anyone?

User Info Menu

Since my op I’ve been having a blast with a few basic ones I found on Spotify ...major, minor,jump blues, some funk etc using a large Bluetooth speaker.

In recent memory, unfortunately I may only jam once a year with an actual human. Not being used to it I always feel very rusty .. because I am I suppose. This is a good tool for that. Should have done this years ago.

For jazz I know I’d need chords provided. Great start though.

User Info Menu

YouTube has a ton, all styles, shows the chords and some have suggested scales to get started with.....

User Info Menu

I like IRealPro, a phone app for about $10. You can download thousands of songs. It's rare that somebody mentions a tune it doesn't have.

You get a chord chart and it plays it back in a style that you can change. No melody.

Options include changing the key, tempo, style, mix of instruments. You can save a song in midi and then import into notation software. You can modify the chords and you can make your own charts.

I usually set it for 13 repeats and change key by a fourth each chorus. Great practice tool.

On a gig, somebody calls a tune you don't know ... 15 seconds later you have a chord chart in whatever key you want. All done in one screen. Songs with a lot of chords can get hard to read, but mostly it's fine.

The playback is usable for my purposes. Aebersold's are generally regarded as better.

User Info Menu

http://ralphpatt.com/Backing.html

Excellent backing tracks for many standards, and free.

User Info Menu

Youtube used to be a good source. I did most of my practice that way for the last ten years. Now the videos need to be downloaded first because most of them won't play unless you [disable ad-blockng] want to play along with advertising jingles.

User Info Menu

duplicate post sorry.
    Last edited by 73Fender; 08-04-2020 at 10:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I like IRealPro, a phone app for about $10. You can download thousands of songs. It's rare that somebody mentions a tune it doesn't have.

You get a chord chart and it plays it back in a style that you can change. No melody.

Options include changing the key, tempo, style, mix of instruments. You can save a song in midi and then import into notation software. You can modify the chords and you can make your own charts.

I usually set it for 13 repeats and change key by a fourth each chorus. Great practice tool.

On a gig, somebody calls a tune you don't know ... 15 seconds later you have a chord chart in whatever key you want. All done in one screen. Songs with a lot of chords can get hard to read, but mostly it's fine.

The playback is usable for my purposes. Aebersold's are generally regarded as better.
    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Backing Tracks

Excellent backing tracks for many standards, and free.
    Thanks I’ll check those out.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcx
    Aebersold now has a streaming service: https://streaming.jazzbooks.com/

Their backing tracks are usually great but I haven't tried this new streaming service. Anyone?
    That one is like 50$ a year. I’m a casual user I don’t know if I could really justify it. IrealPro looks cool. Just a $10 initial charge for the app. Lots of options and chord charts.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

As far as quick, easy and cheap backing tracks, the Youtube channel linked below is what I use if I'm just using my tablet.

User Info Menu

Thanks again for the great ideas. I was thinking of primarily using my iphone and bluetooth speaker but the you tube suggestions will lend themselves more to my laptop so that's great as well. More options. Will check out the various sites as time allows.

Funny, my thread got moved here and just looking at the other thread titles in this section I see many great potential rabbit holes to go down some day ha ha. Maybe if I ever retire.

Appreciate the tips.

User Info Menu

Nice selection of free backing tracks.

https://www.learnjazzstandards.com/i...azz-standards/

User Info Menu

Make your own also.

User Info Menu

I suggest buy SherMusic backing tracks, you can download instantly after payment.

Play-Along CDs for The New Real Book - Vol. 1 | Sher Music Co.

I have entire backing tracks on Pop-Fusion Classics, amazing.

User Info Menu

I think a number of commercially available backtracks have been created using Band-in-a-Box (LJS ones in particular, unless I'm mistaken)

In addition to iRealPro, I also use BB2GO, an extension of Band-in-a-Box running on the iPad, Ethernet connected with BIAB running on my computer. Not too hard to setup if one is familiar with computers.

That way, you get all the benefits of BIAB RealTrack good sound, the ability to use BIAB features to modify chords, styles, mix, etc .. If you have already created a number of backtracks and you don't need any modification of them, then BB2GO can run standalone once the sound files have been generated on the server and loaded on the iPad.

Chord chart is of course visible on the iPad display when backtrack is played.

I found iPad sound emitted from its small speakers surprinsingly good, at least for home practice when high volume isn't required

Also great to create small backtracks on the fly, even easier to do on the iPad than on the computer.

User Info Menu

Some good ones here:

M2 - YouTube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    Bobby’s tracks are great, very modern. If I’ve one criticism they’re a bit short on some tracks, but otherwise stellar!