The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

How are you guys handling video synch for vide collaborations? Hers one I just did and it’s been tricky getting these lined up. I’m going to have to change my approach by doing the audio separate in a DAW, but it’s a complication I was hoping to avoid.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Mark,

Great playing on that video.

I record audio to a DAW while simultaneously recording video to my smart phone. The phone video is also picking up audio. I would then put both the DAW audio and the phone video-audio into a video editor. I use VSDC. Then I'd line it up by ear and sight, eventually expanding the timeline in the video editor where I could easily move the video one frame at a time. Once I have it lined up I mute the audio on the video track so the final product will only have the audio of the DAW track. Very tedious, and I didn't always get it exact.

More recently I upgraded to the pay version of VSDC which I believe is $20 per year (I don't like subscriptions but did it anyway). With the pay version you can see the waveforms on the individual tracks. Now I can line things up mostly by sight, can do it quickly, and accurately. See image, DAW full band audio in red, Guitar video in blue:
    Attached Images Attached Images Syncing video tracks-vsdc-waveform-jpg 
    Last edited by fep; 07-20-2020 at 05:34 PM.

User Info Menu

I should also mention that you can put video files into Reaper (the DAW I use). Reaper shows the waveforms of the video files and is easy to line up video with audio. I'd use that if I hadn't already gotten use to and like the VSDC video editor.

And an example of a collaboration... but my collaborator didn't record video so I just used pictures.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I should also mention that you can put video files into Reaper (the DAW I use). Reaper shows the waveforms of the video files and is easy to line up video with audio. I'd use that if I hadn't already gotten use to and like the VSDC video editor.

And an example of a collaboration... but my collaborator didn't record video so I just used pictures.

thanks!!!

User Info Menu

i saw one of the videos had a clap in it. That's how I usually do it. Using the clap to sync the audio and video using the wave of that transient as the sync point. Did that not work?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i saw one of the videos had a clap in it. That's how I usually do it. Using the clap to sync the audio and video using the wave of that transient as the sync point. Did that not work?
    that clap is perfect for synching the video to the audio. The problem I’m working through is the synch between audio tracks because I’m not recording into a daw. The clap gets me close, but video frames at 30 per second are super crude compared to 44k samples per second audio. When I listen back to the duo example in my post I can’t shake the sense that the audio to audio synch might be off a few millisecond. I could only fine tune by ear, so I think I’m going to have to change my process to do audio and video recording separately. In a daw, I should have sample accurate audio synch between tracks and I’ll add the video tracks from the camera back afterwards.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    that clap is perfect for synching the video to the audio. The problem I’m working through is the synch between audio tracks because I’m not recording into a daw. The clap gets me close, but video frames at 30 per second are super crude compared to 44k samples per second audio. When I listen back to the duo example in my post I can’t shake the sense that the audio to audio synch might be off a few millisecond. I could only fine tune by ear, so I think I’m going to have to change my process to do audio and video recording separately. In a daw, I should have sample accurate audio synch between tracks and I’ll add the video tracks from the camera back afterwards.
    Mark, the 44k has nothing to do with it. The clap is perfectly fine for syncing. If you're worried about it, you can expand the horizontal wave form in your DAW to get super close. Basically, when you play along with the video, you need to make sure your video mic is picking up the clap so that you sync the two together in your DAW. I doubt it's going to be anything as significant as a single ms off in any event.

User Info Menu

Mark, the 44k has nothing to do with it. The clap is perfectly fine for syncing. If you're worried about it, you can expand the horizontal wave form in your DAW to get super close. Basically, when you play along with the video, you need to make sure your video mic is picking up the clap so that you sync the two together in your DAW. I doubt it's going to be anything as significant as a single ms off in any event.
    . One ms is one thousandth of a second, which is definitely inaudible. But 20ms does become apparent and since I’ve been lining up things in video editor rather than a daw, it only moves in frames. At 30 frames a second that’s about 33 ms/frame, so I think it’s too big an increment. I’m going to try reaper for a DAW- the offer full feature 60 day free trial. I’m longing for the simple times when I just played right into my iPhone and directly posted minutes later

User Info Menu

i have been using reaper for several years. It's probably the best program on the market for audio but the user interface is among the worst. I had been paying adobe a ton of money to lease their software including premiere (the video editing package) and recently canceled my adobe subscription and started using reaper for video editing. Like most things in reaper, it's a bit klunky but i think it'll be fine for what I'm doing.

User Info Menu

i have been using reaper for several years. It's probably the best program on the market for audio but the user interface is among the worst.
    I’ll be bugging you for tips then!!!

User Info Menu

Mark, if you do start using Reaper, I recommend checking out the tutorial videos on the Reaper site. They're excellent.