The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Unfortunately the current transcribing app I use doesn't play songs downloaded from apple music. I plan to ditch it for a better option. Any help would be great! Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Capo will play downloaded songs in your music library. It is a bit pricier than many other similar apps, but it is extremely well designed and well supported. It has many tool to assist the transcription process.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz
    Capo will play downloaded songs in your music library. It is a bit pricier than many other similar apps, but it is extremely well designed and well supported. It has many tool to assist the transcription process.
    Any reasons why it's only 3 star rating? I'm charging my ipad right now so I don't have a chance to read the reviews.

User Info Menu

I checked the 1 star reviews. It’s a bunch of immature 12 year olds complaining about the automated chord recognition feature on the app that it doesn’t work. Apparently They want their mommy to do the transcribe chords for them.

I also learned that there’s an annual billing for the app. I don’t mind that. As long as it’s not nasty monthly fees.

But yeah! I am putting Capo Touch for consideration. Thanks!

User Info Menu

I’ve been a Capo user for many years now, so I guess I am grandfathered in on a perpetual license. I have no awareness of an annual fee. There is a full desktop version as well with some additional capabilities for transcribing. It’s simply awesome software - I have used a few different apps for slowing down audio to figure out difficult passages, and Capo is my favorite by far.

User Info Menu

How do you compare that Capo app to the Transcribe! software which exists on PC and Mac but not on the iPad ? I'm very curious to know.

The reason why I'm asking this is that in my opinion (and after many years of use), Transcribe! is one of the best, if not The Best, tool for controlling and annotating audio/video files using markers and text blocks. Its loop line feature sitting just above the waveform area is fantastic to access any loop (which can be named). And also, one can create overlapping loops (for example a whole 8 bar A section loop as well as divide it into two 4 bar loops).

Unfortunately the author doesn't want to create an iPad version (I guess this is because the iPad software environment is too different from the PC/Mac one) and I'm looking for a good replacement, those I've found (Anytune, Amazing Slow Downer) are quite inferior to Transcribe! in my opinion.

I also need one which accepts a script file with a well described format containing all data added to an audio/video file. Transcribe! uses its .xsc format and I'd like to have the equivalent thing for the iPad app, so I could create a simple conversion utility software to generate the iPad app script file from a .xsc file.

From what I've seen on the Capo pages, there is no loop line and while one can define "regions" there is no info on how this is stored and if a file can be created from the outside of the app.I'm not too sure one can use Capo on a video file (for instance one showing how notes are played on the guitar neck). Additionallu an on screen a copy of the CD cover or whatever other image is of no use to a musician.
    Last edited by mhch; 06-28-2020 at 03:28 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mhch
    How do you compare that Capo app to the Transcribe! software which exists on PC and Mac but not on the iPad ? I'm very curious to know.

The reason why I'm asking this is that in my opinion (and after many years of use), Transcribe! is one of the best, if not The Best, tool for controlling and annotating audio/video files using markers and text blocks. Its loop line feature sitting just above the waveform area is fantastic to access any loop (which can be named). And also, one can create overlapping loops (for example a whole 8 bar A section loop as well as divide it into two 4 bar loops).

Unfortunately the author doesn't want to create an iPad version (I guess this is because the iPad software environment is too different from the PC/Mac one) and I'm looking for a good replacement, those I've found (Anytune, Amazing Slow Downer) are quite inferior to Transcribe! in my opinion.

I also need one which accepts a script file with a well described format containing all data added to an audio/video file. Transcribe! uses its .xsc format and I'd like to have the equivalent thing for the iPad app, so I could create a simple conversion utility software to generate the iPad app script file from a .xsc file.

From what I've seen on the Capo pages, there is no loop line and while one can define "regions" there is no info on how this is stored and if a file can be created from the outside of the app.I'm not too sure one can use Capo on a video file (for instance one showing how notes are played on the guitar neck). Additionallu an on screen a copy of the CD cover or whatever other image is of no use to a musician.
    I have both programs on my Mac laptop. My teacher uses Transcribe! and I really like that you can store and name the different looping regions. Since getting it, I use Transcribe! exclusively on my laptop, but still use Capo frequently when working on an iPad (and occasionally even on my iPhone). I too wish that Transcribe! was available on iOS. For slowing down videos on iOS I use AudioStretch. I have found it very useful when studying videos I take of my teacher demonstrating some specific skill or concept. Not sure if it has the scripting ability you are looking for. The developer of Capo has been responsive to questions I have sent him so you might consider sending him a query to see if the scripting ability is possible on the desktop version.

User Info Menu

I have both programs on my Mac laptop. My teacher uses Transcribe! and I really like that you can store and name the different looping regions. Since getting it, I use Transcribe! exclusively on my laptop, but still use Capo frequently when working on an iPad (and occasionally even on my iPhone). I too wish that Transcribe! was available on iOS. For slowing down videos on iOS I use AudioStretch. I have found it very useful when studying videos I take of my teacher demonstrating some specific skill or concept. Not sure if it has the scripting ability you are looking for. The developer of Capo has been responsive to questions I have sent him so you might consider sending him a query to see if the scripting ability is possible on the desktop version.
    Thanks for your reply which unfortunately won't convert Transcribe! developer Maybe you didn't use much the text block feature to its full , really worth exploring and to think that the text zone can be enlarged vertically so that one can separate overlapping text blocks by moving them vertically. Really useful to study videos and keep text notes along with it.

It seems to me that iPad and iPhone app developers tend to organize the visual space to fit a portrait orientation. For tools like these audio'/video controlling tools, it seems to me that a landscape orientation is far better .. The large spectrogram one can see with these apps is not of much interest, except to view silent zones ,, Better use the Transcribe! display organization .

I'll get in touch with the Capo developer and make my various suggestions to him. thanks for the tip.

User Info Menu

Tried AudioStrech on the iPad. It does a really good job, which exactly what I need, i.e. use my iPad to play backtracks with easy touch control. with using sometimes a bit of play speed control, which is easy and of good quality, at least for the small speed factor I tried (0.75x). Works on video files too , although the video is displayed in a very small window (is there a way to make it larger ? Gor instance to view the chord sheet of a BIAB exported video). Funny to see that what it displays on screen is a bit like what Transcribe! does (piano keyboard, Note guesses over keyboard, spectrum, controls). Only regret: it allows for only one loop while Transcribe! allows for as many as you want, with easy selection of any on the loop line.

Also tried Capo ... Its UI is a bit ugly which immediately discouraged me. I prefer the one of Audiostretch which is simple and nicer, just what is needed to do the job.

Thanks for the info.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mhch
    (is there a way to make it larger ? Gor instance to view the chord sheet of a BIAB exported video).
    If you tap the little diagonal arrow thingy in the video thumbnail it will expand to fill most of the screen, but that’s as much as I’ve done. I don’t think there is any way to make the video fill the full screen.
    Is there a transcribing app on Apple that can play Apple Music?-c5384d12-5b36-4de3-97d1-43bf71860039-jpgIs there a transcribing app on Apple that can play Apple Music?-405ee590-0934-4529-9eb8-ecf42c83e94d-jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tip There had to be a way

User Info Menu

The app Transcribe cannot connect to the ITunes Store. I tried rebooting the modem, using data, restarting the iPad, deleting and reinstalling the Transcribe app. Nothing is working. I am just trying to remove the DRM of a brand new song I’m working on, that’s all I’m trying to do. This is waste of my time. Immediate Help is greatly needed on this forum.

User Info Menu

Update:
    My problem with the Transcribe app persisted. I tried calling our internet provider and calling apple and I was just going in circles. I read the contents on this post. I tried installing Audiostretch and CapoTouch and they cannot even play Apple Music - Scam!

But then I tried the Amazing Slow Downer and it played Apple Music just fine along with slowing down and looping without any bulshit.

So I answered my own question:

Which Apple Transcribing App that can play Apple Music?

The Amazing Slow Downer!

Case closed.