The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I am not sure if you folks were aware of this practice device. It is an app that you can download for a small price (I can't remember how much, $2.99?) for Android or Iphone. It is from JustinGuitar, a British fellow who has a very active and prolific guitar page on Youtube.

Basically, you can use it as a traditional metronome or as a "time trainer." The time trainer function allows you to set a starting beats per minute value and an ending one. Then, you can program how long it takes to slowly (or quickly) increase from the starting tempo to the final target tempo. You can also use it to program "steps" of increases. I have not used that feature.

It has been another great, great aid to my practice regimen. I use it to practice learning various phrases and for exercises. I start slow, and maybe set it for 10 minutes. I play the phrase over and over, although I might stop and pause the program as my fingers start to tire.

Happy playing! I don't know why it took so long to hear about this thing. And, I have only scratched the surface for its many uses.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Reminds me of the old joke about how you know a drummer is at the door :-)

User Info Menu

Ha, ha.

In doing my research on this app, I read a lot of funny comments about drummers speeding up and slowing down during songs.

That must be hell and something that can ruin the whole darn experience.

This app is great, but I am finding that I overdo it and my tendonitis is acting up in my right hand. I have got to be smarter...

User Info Menu

I have a nice software metronome (Metronome+?) that can be set to speed up every 4 bars or two bars or whatever you like, in various time signatures. It's best to limit speed practice to short segments with bursts, generally. For instance, if you start at 40 bpm and increase by 5 bpm every 4 bars, in 4 minutes you're at 125 bpm. If, in doing that, you play 1/8 notes for 3 bars then 1 bar of 1/16th notes, you'll find your speed increasing rapidly without the tendonitis problems. Be aware of tension in either hand!

User Info Menu

Brilliant! They can make an updated version to simulate working with a real drummer. You turn it on and it plays so loud you can't hear yourself play, and it doesn't shut off until your landlord evicts you. Oh yeah, and here's the hidden feature, you open the fridge and all your beer is gone.
    That's the rock setting. Jazz setting is so busy that you can't leave any space in your playing without appearing hesitant or seeming like it's time for someone else's solo. Anything longer than an eighth note rest results in a 40 minute drum fill. Real good training.

User Info Menu

Ireal can do that. You get to choose how many bpms faster it goes every repeat.

User Info Menu

Transcribe! has this feature as well for incrementing playback speed of loops within backing tracks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Brilliant! They can make an updated version to simulate working with a real drummer. You turn it on and it plays so loud you can't hear yourself play, and it doesn't shut off until your landlord evicts you. Oh yeah, and here's the hidden feature, you open the fridge and all your beer is gone.
    That's the rock setting. Jazz setting is so busy that you can't leave any space in your playing without appearing hesitant or seeming like it's time for someone else's solo. Anything longer than an eighth note rest results in a 40 minute drum fill. Real good training.
    Jimmy, you are as crazy as I am!