The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 49 of 49

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Well, the longer you wait the closer you are to the day you'll receive it.

I'm know feeling I need a spare... if my audio interface goes out I don't want to have to wait so long.
    I was talking with my wife last night and she said that I have a birthday coming up (early October) and she has no idea what to get for me, so I should come up with some ideas.

I'm thinking of this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet2i2G3--focusrite-scarlett-2i2-3rd-gen-usb-audio-interface?mrkgadid=3343941294&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=gpl a&mrkgbflag=0&mrkgcat=studio&recording&&acctid=217 00000001645388&dskeywordid=92700046938543061&lid=9 2700046938543061&ds_s_kwgid=58700005283383056&ds_s _inventory_feed_id=97700000007215323&dsproductgrou pid=777509253062&product_id=Scarlet2i2G3&prodctry= US&prodlang=en&channel=online&storeid=&device=c&ne twork=g&matchtype=&locationid=9012035&creative=359 712374850&targetid=pla777509253062&campaignid=1465 808290&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr_nw0eXw6gIVEJSzCh3Hdw0CE AQYASABEgLlGPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

A Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 3rd gen.
    Would be funny--but not THAT funny---if I would up getting this before I got the other one. But these aren't currently on backorder (I don't think).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yep, those are maybe the most popular of all interfaces. In stock it says.

User Info Menu

I have the 4i4 3rd gen. No issues.

User Info Menu

A friend just asked help with this same question just yesterday on Facebook. This product was recommended to him by a well-known musician: https://www.amazon.com/Reshow-Casset...aWNrPXRydWU%3D

$35. Looks like a Walkman. Plugs straight into your computer via USB.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Thank you for the suggestion.

The problem I'm having is with my laptop's input. There is no mic input. I have a splitter cable but it doesn't seem to work. In this case---with these cassettes---I'm not looking for the best quality. Just preservation. But that route doesn't seem to work. I think I'll need an interface between the cassette deck and the laptop, one with a USB.
    This may come in handy at some point;

Sorry! Something went wrong!

It's a simple USB sound card.

User Info Menu

Does the link work? It say's "Sorry! Something went wrong!" but it seems to work..
    Weird.

User Info Menu

The link works, that wording comes up every now and then, and can be safely ignored.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    A friend just asked help with this same question just yesterday on Facebook. This product was recommended to him by a well-known musician: Sorry! Something went wrong!

$35. Looks like a Walkman. Plugs straight into your computer via USB.
    I'm looking at this.
    The USB interface I ordered back in May is still not in. (Though I was just told it should be in Monday, 3 August. Of course, I was recently told it would be on in 23 July and that didn't happen.)
    For one thing, I have a lot of cassette demos of my old songs. But I also have several other old cassettes that I wouldn't mind transferring to mp3. For $35, it seems worth it to me.

User Info Menu

I'm looking at this.
    The USB interface I ordered back in May is still not in. (Though I was just told it should be in Monday, 3 August. Of course, I was recently told it would be on in 23 July and that didn't happen.)
    For one thing, I have a lot of cassette demos of my old songs. But I also have several other old cassettes that I wouldn't mind transferring to mp3. For $35, it seems worth it to me.
    The external sound card I mentioned in post #30 converts stereo headphone out to mono in. The output is stereo though. They can be less than $10. It simply bypasses the internal sound card on computer and provides 1/8" mono in and 1/8" stereo out.

User Info Menu

There are many USB sound cards available, many for very little money. I have a Xonar that I like a lot, with 3.5mm headphones out and 3.5mm microphone input. I don't often use the microphone input, but it's a piece of cake to run a stereo cable from anything that has a standard output to it. I once used an HDMI splitter to get analog audio from my computer to an amp, but I've been using the Xonar for some time, and prefer it. The only downside is that it uses a USB port, and those can become limited in number as one adds devices, but I have a powered USB3 hub to provide enough ports. I also have a no-brand switchable interface, that allows it to be used as analog input or output through a USB port, cheap on ebay and it works well enough. It uses RCA connectors instead of 1/8"/3.5mm. Lots of options are available to suit whatever type connectors you need to use, and most amazingly cheap but of acceptable quality. All only a click away.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    The external sound card I mentioned in post #30 converts stereo headphone out to mono in. The output is stereo though. They can be less than $10. It simply bypasses the internal sound card on computer and provides 1/8" mono in and 1/8" stereo out.
    Mark probably need stereo in ....

User Info Menu

There are many models that have stereo in.

User Info Menu

Mark has already ordered an interface that I bet will sound great and it's only $35.

Over the years I've used four different audio interfaces including two that I plugged a mixer into the mini jack of the basic interface that comes with an everyday computer. They all sounded really good.

One of the members of the Cakewalk forum posted recordings of the same material from several interfaces of various price points and let the members blindly evaluate the quality. Folks couldn't tell the difference.

From the epic yep thread on the Reaper/Cockos forum, yep said:
    Take a great-sounding CD and record it through your soundcard. Play back the recording. If it still sounds great, then you know that your soundcard is capable of rendering great-sounding recordings. No more blaming the interface.*

Next take the same CD and play it back through your monitors, recording the playback with your favorite mic (this is actually how the earliest records were duplicated). Still sound good? No more blaming the mic, cable, or preamp. If it doesn't sound good, then go back to the above post and make sure that your monitors and room acoustics are up to snuff. Even the lowly SM57 should reproduce a pretty accurate picture of whatever you point it at.

If you cannot get a good capture with what you have, then it's time to try and wring out the signal chain for the weakest link. But since I suspect that most home recording rigs will more or less pass this test, I'm going to set that part aside for later.

*Please note that none of this is to say that preamps or converters or mics don't matter. Better tools make things easier. But merely adequate tools can still build a great project. The pyramids of Egypt, the Taj Mahal, Buckingham Palace, and John Hammond's brilliant recordings of the Benny Goodman Orchestra were all created without tools that modern craftsman take for granted.

User Info Menu

No word yet from Musician's Friend about the digital audio interface I ordered back in May. They were supposed to ship it to me today....

Anyway, I did get a "Super USB cassette capture" that looks like a Walkman. (Doug B suggested it above. See link there.)
    I figure if I get the few cassette demos I have left transfered to mp3, this will have been a worthwhile investment.

Question: how to get THAT music (an mp3 file) HERE, so others might here it? Is that what Soundcloud is for?

User Info Menu

Latest update from MF re: DAI: 13 August. (They change expectations in 10-day increments. I'm not holding my breath.)

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the USB cassette capture. I've now converted several old demos both mp3 and WAV files.
    But how to post them here????

User Info Menu

Latest update from MF re: DAI: 13 August. (They change expectations in 10-day increments. I'm not holding my breath.)

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the USB cassette capture. I've now converted several old demos both mp3 and WAV files.
    But how to post them here????
    Create a Soundcloud account (it’s free), upload them to soundcloud, then for each song copy its Soundcloud page url here.

User Info Menu

Or you can just attach them to a message, by using the attachment button, the one to the right of the smiley button. Open the attachment dialog, select your mp3 file(s) and post. Doing it this way does require the reader to download the file instead of just playing it in the browser, though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Or you can just attach them to a message, by using the attachment button, the one to the right of the smiley button. Open the attachment dialog, select your mp3 file(s) and post. Doing it this way does require the reader to download the file instead of just playing it in the browser, though.
    That is why something like Soundcloud is preferable if you want more people to hear your tracks. Some people do not like downloading files, and on some devices such as iPad, it is not always possible to download them anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Create a Soundcloud account (it’s free), upload them to soundcloud, then for each song copy its Soundcloud page url here.
    I did that. I'm sure it works fine---I've seen enough examples hereabout---but when I tried this yesterday the file was not saved. I was pushed to purchase a subscription. Which might be a good idea but I balked. I'll want to look into this more carefully soon.

Today, I just made a video in my Windows 10 Photo app. It's audio with a single photo title card. I'll post that below.

User Info Menu

"Sellin' Me Like Jelly", a homemade demo from the '90s. Using a BOSS DR-5 for the rhythm section. My Strat and voice hog the foreground. (Evidently my noise gate was in the shop. ;o)

A rock song. Not jazz. No jazz licks either. I had read an article in the paper about some bands who had had some success but found themselves in great debt to their record companies, who then decided to tell them what they should do next. One band mentioned in the article was Scandal, best known for "Goodbye To You." I forget the others. Anyway, I wrote a song about it...

User Info Menu

It should be easy enough to post videos like that on YouTube, and link that here. Perhaps easier than SoundCloud, but I've never used that so I don't know for sure, but I know it's easy to upload to YouTube.

User Info Menu

Another update on the digital audio interface I ordered from Musicians Friend back in May: still not shipped. Dang.

One of these days...

User Info Menu

Latest update from MF: September 2 is when they plan to get more in and ship one to me. (I ordered this thing in late May.)
    This morning I canceled the order.
    Also this morning, my wife ordered me this:
    Behringer Xenyx Q502USB Mixer | Musician's Friend

It's a USB digital audio interface AND a mixer. AND it's in stock.

This should be all I need for now.

User Info Menu

It came!
    After all this waiting, the USB interface / mixer ordered on Tuesday from Musicians Friends reached me yesterday (Thursday). It was shipped from a Guitar Center less than 10 miles away.

Won't have time to work with it before Sunday but I'm glad it's here.
    Tom Petty was right: The waiting is the hardest part.