The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I keep playing with mic'ing the cab versus recording direct. This is playing an Aria Pro II PE180 into a Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue. One set of clips was recorded with a Shure SM57 on the cabinet. The other set was recorded using the Bugera PS1 Power Soak XLR output.

It's not about you guessing which is which. My purpose is to hear comments on the sound of each without impressions being prejudiced by knowing which is which. Some people automatically think a mic'd cab is just better, while others swear by recording direct. I do both and don't know which I prefer (yet).

So... your descriptive comments and observations are appreciated!

The solo is one of the Jimmy Raney solos from the Aebersold Vol. 20 set.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

2 sounds brighter, as well as looking brighter. I wouldn't want to guess which is which, but I preferred 2, because 1 sounds a little bit muffled.

User Info Menu

door # 2 monty

really, any tone can be made to sound better than another...a badly mic'd amp can sound worse than a direct signal...and vice versa...so this is no statement (on my part) on mic'd amp vs. direct...but based on the way you recorded your demo, (& u-tube compression), #1 sounds choked and piezo -like compared to # 2

fun stuff tho!!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 05-23-2020 at 08:18 PM. Reason: cl-

User Info Menu

Hi Lawson, I also preferred #2. Don't have a clue which is mic'ed vs. direct.

User Info Menu

I preferred #1, #2 sounded a little bit brighter in head to head comparison on my headphones (AKG K240 Studio).

With my monitor speakers it's a toss up as the brightness sounds rounder if you will through the speakers (Kali LP8).

I'd say #2 is the sm57. Mic placement makes a difference also, closer to the outside edge of the speaker is darker, conversely towards the center of the speaker is brighter.

If it was me I'd use whichever one was easiest to work with.
    Last edited by fep; 05-24-2020 at 12:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    door # 2 monty

really, any tone can be made to sound better than another...a badly mic'd amp can sound worse than a direct signal...and vice versa...so this is no statement (on my part) on mic'd amp vs. direct...but based on the way you recorded your demo, (& u-tube compression), #1 sounds choked and piezo -like compared to # 2

fun stuff tho!!

cheers
    Totally correct. I’ve tried not to skew things, because I made this mainly for my own reference and then decided to post. I need to study up on mic placement. The mic was closer to the center and about 3 inches away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Heres' the reveal: #1 is the Bugera, #2 is the SM57.