The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If anybody else is using the THR as a recording interface, using the USB, can you confirm that it is a single channel mono output? That's all I can see on my DAW, but the Steinberg driver doesn't want to play nicely, so I'm not sure Windows 10 is seeing all the capability. There is nothing in the manual or specs, which suggests it be only mono, which is a bit strange for a product which boasts some advanced stereo magic thru the speakers.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm looking into getting a THR II 30 watt job so I've been putting a lot of screen time into
    gathering info and checking out how they sound.

....You do have the mark II model I take it?

It says on the Yamaha spec sheet on their site that there is a mini stereo out for phones [and I 'd guess recording]
    and left and right 1/4" jacks out.

Then there's the USB port.

Have you checked your connections?

Hope that may be some use.

Now I wonder if you can offer some words from the experienced as to how the surround sound thing actually
    sounds in the room?

My wife and I are moving to a small apartment in the near future and I am looking for something really small
    like this Yamaha, that sounds decent.
    They're quite spendy so I don't want to end up with something that I don't like.

Good luck overcoming your issue.

User Info Menu

Hi Moonray - I only use it as a desktop amp in a small home office - but also currently my only amp in use, due to lock-down issues. I am more than satisfied by how "big" the sound is, but havn't used it yet where I am at one side of the room and the amp on the other side.

It is the THR10ii, so doesn't feature the stereo line out, but does have the phones out. I aim to try this into my Focusrite 2i2, but if I remember correctly from a previous THR (old model) that I had, this doesn't work too weel, due to a background whistle - it might need an impedance matching circuit to work properly.

thelostboss - thankls for your input. Yes, on the original THR I had, but sold a couple of years ago - I seem to remember a 4 channel (wet stereo + dry stereo) system, but when I saw I had only one mono channel with the new version, assumed I was getting my original THR confused with a different amp.

I'm going to keep trying with setting up he Steinberg driver, which looks as though it has installed, but then never appears in any options. There are lots of audio installations on my PC which I no longer use; I will remove all those first

User Info Menu

After more internet searches, the current wisdom appears to be that the Steinberg driver does not work with the THRii series (this from Yamaha themselves) and that a generic driver will do. The THR only appears in my DAW, if I select a WASAPI drive, but but still only appears as a single input, neither stereo or wet and dry.

Update - with my setup, the latency using the WASAPI driver is enormous. Cured using ASIO4ALL, but still feel it is not a satisfactory result.
    Last edited by newsense; 05-04-2020 at 03:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thelostboss
    I have just checked again on my Win 10 laptop, for me the THR shows 2 input channels when using the ASIO driver in both Reaper and Tracktion. Hope this helps.
    Same by me for THR5A:

Driver: Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO
    THR5A Guitar L & Guitar R inputs
    THR5A L & R outputs

User Info Menu

newsense thanks for your summary of the THRii amp.

I've completely removed it from my list of prospective amps for use in the apartment.

These amps seem to have been beset with various bugs.

Like the overheated transmitter for wireless use.
    Yamaha posted that they've had 4 instances of the transmiiters getting dangerously hot!

Needs firmware update apparently as a fix. hmmm

Not to mention that in New Zealand Line 6 is distributed by a different dealer than the amp itself
    and guess what, they don't have the transmitter required in stock and can't say when or if they
    will be supplied with the Covid 19 Level 3 lockdown we're observing here.

What a ballsup !
    ....and these amps [at least the THRii 30] cost NZD 1100 plus a 100 bucks for the transmitter.

Sorry Yamaha....no sale.

User Info Menu

... but the thing is - they sound great!

The recording issue is now resolved; the firmware update took me less than 5 mins and they have fixed the wireless battery problem (although my GT10 has yet to arrive).

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Thanks for that update newsense.

I may rethink my decision on the THRii 30

The store has one in stock waiting for me....given I haven't experienced the "in the round sound" and the
    the various amp types etc I will see if I can make a time to try it.
    After all, I haven't played this amp yet and actually heard it.

We're currently stuck in a kind of limbo @ Level 3 shut down....the govt is trying to help get business
    up and running but in a contact free kind of way. Somehow reminds me
    of a popular read in the late 70's , you know the "Zipless F***" one. ha ha

I guess I could wait to get the wireless transmitter.

I'm encouraged by your experience and pleased you got that USB issue sorted out.