The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

With this quarantine, I’m getting more into remote recording. All styles, but mostly electric guitar jazz. Currently, all I have is a cheap Audio technica condenser. Wondering what other mics you consider a “must have”? I’m seeing good things from the e906...

Also, I’d love to hear any techniques you’ve found to be helpful.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Shopping mics... the differences are pretty slight as long as you have decent mic, imo.

This site went to a ton of effort to provide you with comparisons. You could compare hundreds of mics, you might want to choose "The Weekend" song and solo the acoustic guitar as the best approximation of a jazz guitar. I like to use the acoustic guitar because there is a lot of detail in that sound.

Audio Technica, they have 12 of those you can compare from $99 to $3500. I just compared the Audio Technica AT2020 $99 to the AT5047 $3500, the difference... blind I don't think I could guess which was the more expensive mic. The AT2020 has more high end detail, the AT5047 has more low end body, more of a difference can be heard if you solo the piano, I think there is not enough low end on the guitar part to hear as much difference in the low end of the two mics. Really, it's a matter of taste, I'd be fine with either.

The e906, not on the audio test kitchen, I don't think they have any dynamic mics, only condensors. Dynamic mics, I have an SM57

Audio Test Kitchen | Compare the gear. Trust your ears.
    Last edited by fep; 04-24-2020 at 11:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Which AT mic have you got ?
    they're pretty good generally .....

User Info Menu

I use a matched pair of AT4051a's and a Rode NTK, in different combinations.

User Info Menu

I like my AT2020.

User Info Menu

What are you recording with ? Do you have an outboard mic-preamp or do you use the input of a mixing console ? Have you tried recording direct, without a real dedicated amp ? Do you use an acoustic guitar or one with a pickup ?
    Too many variables for an easy direct answer ....
    I plug my electric Guitars into my Apogee Duet interface and use a bit of virtual amp sound to colour the sound - for my acoustic guitar/banjo I use either an E906 dynamic or a (cheap) Octava condenser and I have no need for something more expensive.

User Info Menu

rather than point you towards a specific mic...i will recommend a specific type of mic..based on the classic neumann mics..a multi pattern large diaghram condenser...the multi pattern gives you directional, omni-directional and figure 8 patterns...which covers just about every need!...and are available at many different pricepoints from the pricey neumanns to the asian made clone attempts

you will need a phantom powered pre amp

on the cheap & ez, it's tough to beat the old classic shure sm57...can be used for so many things..and is sturdy and dependable...plug in and point

cheers

ps- rudy van gelder was one of the first american recording engineers to use neumann mics...the classic blue note tones wouldn't exist without them...they brought a crisp clarity that the then popular ribbon mics couldn't

User Info Menu

I’ve never found it especially difficult to record guitar. Any good mike will do a good job.

i use a Rode NT1-A, good if slightly sterile sounding entry level large diaphragm condenser mike

You need a sound interface. Focusrite or something will be fine.

If I had the money I’d have a U87 and Neve pres haha. How long is a piece of string?

User Info Menu

It depends on whether you have a decent mic pre, what volume you'll play, amp or no amp. I'm assuming that since you said electric guitar you plan on using an amp. If so the boring but de-facto standard is the inexpensive Shure SM57. I only say boring because it's so ubiquitous. The first obvious choice.

If you're on an amp but playing at a very low volume I might suggest a nice condenser. I don't think you want to spend Neumann prices. Condensers are tricky. The cheaper ones can sound brittle and crappy, but if you don't know it sounds brittle and crappy you don't know. You might not notice. But a nice condenser can be used on acoustic guitar. You probably won't met with much success using a dynamic like the SM57 on acoustic, but you know, who knows?

Or a nice ribbon, which might be a little more expensive, but most cheap ribbons also sound good. Great on electric but need a lot more power to run. Powerful mic pre is needed.

Another option I use is just a nice DI on electric. Gitman mentioned this. OR a modeler like the Fractal AXE III or II, or AX8, or its various competitors like the Helix or -- there's one really big one I can't recall the name of.

Anyway this method lets you re-amp the tones later. You can put a clean direct recording down along with whatever tone you're playing, then later if you change you mind you can choose another amp or set of effects, if that's you thing. Maybe a bit more expensive, but you know as they say, you get what you pay for!

Happy hunting! This lock down has kept me in my studio spending money like mad upgrading. Argh!

User Info Menu

I’m going to plug the Heil PR30 again. I don’t think anything can come close to touching it in its price range. It can also handle high SPL beautifully if you’re going to record something loud. It’s the most ribbon like dynamic mic that you’re likely to find and it’s far more durable than any ribbon mic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I’m going to plug the Heil PR30 again. I don’t think anything can come close to touching it in its price range. It can also handle high SPL beautifully if you’re going to record something loud. It’s the most ribbon like dynamic mic that you’re likely to find and it’s far more durable than any ribbon mic.
    I have never used it but I've heard great things about it. I understand it's an alternative to the EV RE20, and that's a great mic. Some prefer it. I bet it'd be a great jazz guitar mic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I'll gladly second this. I have a pr30, and also a pr35 handheld mic. They have made it hard to listen to 57/58's anymore.

User Info Menu

Tommy Emmanuel swears by the SM57

User Info Menu

I use a Rode NT1-A Ldc mic, and a matched pair of Rode NT5 Sdc ones. They were pretty popular as low/mid priced mics a few years back when i got them, and they work for any type of guitar at home volume. Don't record much distorted guitar at home, and if i do it is direct, so no reason for me to get an SM57.

Would love to get a ribbon at some point, as some of my favorite guitar sounds at studios were captured with ribbons.

In my opinion, if you get more expensive mics, you need the whole package. Great mic preamps, dead quiet room and computer, good room acoustics, great instruments, or its kind of a waste...