The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Hi i want to make a couple of videos, they dont have to be the finest quality but reasonable. i dont want to do editing etc what kind of camera would be good, i looked on line became overwhelmed with it all. Both my wifes mobile and mine can record video but the sound is horrible and does not play in time with picture, i am clueless at this.

I tried a digital Samsung camera S500 5mega its old 10 years, not too good picture was small sound not good.

So a simple camera not too expensive say $100 £80 am i being unrealistic.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Durban,
    The camera in your phone will most likely produce a very good video. Most people that I know record the audio separately and sync it with the video. It's not really that difficult, but you'd have to have some kind of editing software.

I might be wrong, but I think you're going to have to spend a lot more than $100 for a decent camera that also has good audio capabilities. The cheapest way is to use your phone, record audio separately, and learn to sync audio with video.

User Info Menu

I use the camera on the computer, along with my Zoom H2 recorder as a USB microphone.

I record using the camera app that came with the computer.

No recording separately and syncing later.

The H2 is not used as a recorder only a microphone, It has good condenser mikes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue
    Durban,
    The camera in your phone will most likely produce a very good video. Most people that I know record the audio separately and sync it with the video. It's not really that difficult, but you'd have to have some kind of editing software.

I might be wrong, but I think you're going to have to spend a lot more than $100 for a decent camera that also has good audio capabilities. The cheapest way is to use your phone, record audio separately, and learn to sync audio with video.
    Yes, if you have a smartphone from the last 10 years or so, that camera is probably much better than anything you can get for $100. They also record audio surprisingly well.

User Info Menu

I am thinking about getting a Zoom Q8. I have struck out repeatedly on iPhone and Ipad videos that just suck in terms of quality. I am baffled as to how some people can make decent videos with them. I also don't want to sit in front of my computer or laptop to record myself, wear headphones, play around with a DAW, etc. I just want to play live with my amp setup. Zoom also makes a less expensive Q2n-4k model, btw. It doesn't have any line inputs, however.

Last edited by lammie200; 04-19-2020 at 05:11 PM.

User Info Menu

This is from a Samsung S8 smartphong that I got in 2017. The lighting is not great but the picture is good.

User Info Menu

The rear video camera (not the ‘selfie’ one) on my iPad Air 2 is actually very good, HD 1080 and 30 fps. But of course the audio quality from the onboard mic is not so good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    The rear video camera (not the ‘selfie’ one) on my iPad Air 2 is actually very good, HD 1080 and 30 fps. But of course the audio quality from the onboard mic is not so good.
    Good point, my video above was done with the front (selfie) camera which I believe is not as good as the rear camera.

User Info Menu

Yes, the front camera on the iPad is only 720p. Of course the front camera is easier to use, because you can monitor the image on the screen facing you. Not so simple when using the rear camera, a bit of ‘trial and error’ has to be used!

User Info Menu

The way I make my videos now is using my Panasonic Lumix compact camera, which has HD video capability. There is an app for it which I have installed on my phone, it allows you to control and monitor the camera remotely using its in-built WiFi circuit, makes things much easier. It didn’t even occur to me to use this method until I read about the WiFi and the app in the camera manual, some months after I’d got the camera!

(I record the audio to a separate device (digital recorder) and sync them afterwards on my PC).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I am thinking about getting a Zoom Q8. I have struck out repeatedly on iPhone and Ipad videos that just suck in terms of quality. I am baffled as to how some people can make decent videos with them. I also don't want to sit in front of my computer or laptop to record myself, wear headphones, play around with a DAW, etc. I just want to play live with my amp setup. Zoom also makes a less expensive Q2n-4k model, btw. It doesn't have any line inputs, however.

Lammie,
    Here is a link to a discussion about the Zoom Q8.

Zoom Q8 video/audio recorder

User Info Menu

I have got a really basic cheap phone, an Alcatel. Out of curiosity I just tried the video camera on it. It is surprisingly decent quality. The rear camera even has a full HD 1080 option in the settings, using this improved the image even more.

The audio is not fantastic, but again it is fairly decent. I was playing my 175 acoustically and it picked it up surprisingly well. You probably need to be fairly near the mic, for some reason I got better audio using the front ‘selfie’ camera than using the rear camera (the trade-off here is that only the rear camera can use the HD setting).

In the audio I can hear some slight artefacts which I suspect are due to some kind of auto-level or noise reduction, I don’t think you can override them. Really that is the only fault I can find. And this is one of the cheapest phones I could get (my wife insisted I get a smartphone but I didn’t want to spend anything on it!).

I suppose it would be tricky to video yourself and record from an amp speaker, unless you can bring the amp fairly close to yourself and the mic.

User Info Menu

Zoom also makes a less expensive Q2n-4k model, btw. It doesn't have any line inputs, however.
    The ZOOM Q2n 4K has a stereo line input. I have the predecessor, the Q2n and it records great video and audio through its stereo microphone. About twice your budget, though....

User Info Menu

Another thing with phones is that you may need to put it on silent or something. A message came in while I was recording and the notification sound was captured on the video. It also seemed to throw the audio slightly out of sync from that point onwards.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    The ZOOM Q2n 4K has a stereo line input. I have the predecessor, the Q2n and it records great video and audio through its stereo microphone. About twice your budget, though....
    You're right. It has an 1/8" stereo input probably meant for a stereo mixed down backing track, or an MP3 player, or some other kind of finished signal. I guess you could convert your guitar signal from an amp line out to plug into it. What I like about the Q8 is that is not only has the stereo mic module, but it has two additional combo 1/4" TRS/MIC inputs. It is essentially a four track recorder albeit two of the tracks come from the stereo mic. Having said that, the manual says that you can split those two tracks for separate mixing with DAW software. Budget is not an issue.

Also, it didn't occur to me that the front and back cameras on my iPhone and IPad would make for different video quality. I may work with that some more. However, another cool thing about the Zoom Q8 is that the screen swings around so that if you are facing the camera you can see what you are recording. If I have to turn my iPhone or Ipad around I can't actually see what I am recording. I am selling myself on a Q8.

User Info Menu

You're right. It has an 1/8" stereo input probably meant for a stereo mixed down backing track, or an MP3 player, or some other kind of finished signal..
    The way I do it if I want better audio quality while playing and recording with a backing track is I'm using my Tascam GT 1 guitar trainer and connect the line out from there to the line in of the Q2n. Works well for me.

User Info Menu

Another thing with phones is that you may need to put it on silent or something. A message came in while I was recording and the notification sound was captured on the video. It also seemed to throw the audio slightly out of sync from that point onwards.
    Airplane mode keeps the phone from making a beep (or whatever) if you get a call, text, or any other sort of notificaiton. Handy setting, that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue
    Durban,

Thanks for that . i did try to put audio to video a few years ago seemed to take for ever and was never in sync. My laptop was not strong enough. and screen small.

So i will look at that again. But am clueless about software.

As long as it is in time the picture quality does not have to be Hollywood as long as reasonable. The phone takes acceptable vid's was going to get another but what with this virus am cautious not to throw money around untill things are clearer, what with Trump and Boris etc etc things are not always clear. Thanks to all

User Info Menu

I have got a really basic cheap phone, an Alcatel. Out of curiosity I just tried the video camera on it. It is surprisingly decent quality. The rear camera even has a full HD 1080 option in the settings, using this improved the image even more.The audio is not fantastic, but again it is fairly decent. .
    Hi Graham is the audio in time sync with video, my phone Motorola G5 is dreadful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Durban
    Hi Graham is the audio in time sync with video, my phone Motorola G5 is dreadful.
    Yes the sync is fine, I copied all the test files to my PC and checked them there. As I said, the only odd thing was during one clip where my phone ‘dinged’ on receipt of a message or something, and this somehow forced the audio slightly out of sync.

User Info Menu

Haha I just received an email from some website or other telling me about this gizmo, they must be spying on me!

Zoom Q2n-4K Handy Video Recorder | Zoom

User Info Menu

Remember the clapper boards they use in the movies to slate the takes? They’re a godsend for creating a sync point for matching up separate video and audio sources. And pro tip - make sure your audio sample rate matches what your video cam records at (usually 48k). That will help avoid drift over long takes.

User Info Menu

Timely thread. Was needing to expend my Musicians Friend points so I ordered a Zoom Q2-4K. Seems a reasonable price for what it includes, gets great reviews, and it's a better practice tool than my older phone. Of course, it's backordered everywhere and don't know when it will arrive. The Q8 is cool.. just seems way overkill for what I plan to use a camera for. Especially since I'll usually use the line in for audio anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    ... The Q8 is cool.. just seems way overkill for what I plan to use a camera for. Especially since I'll usually use the line in for audio anyway.
    It isn't outrageously more expensive though. I will probably order one of the two, but I see that the Q8 is back ordered from Amazon at this point.

User Info Menu

Speaking of backorders, I just read that Amazon has run out of podcast mics.
    Not surprising yet it somehow amuses me.