The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Using Audacity on a low-performance notebook. What I'm looking for (I believe) is something along the lines of a gate or auto swell which can be programmed to remove the initial pick attack on an already recorded track to give a post-production bowed effect. I've used a volume pedal in the past but, of course, it's no good for faster passages.

Cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I looked at the effects in Audacity and I couldn’t see anything like this. Found a pretty cool wahwah effect though, sounds quite good!

If you’ve got the time, you could apply a fade-in effect to each note individually....as a last resort!

User Info Menu

Yes, although I'm not very experienced in the use of this kind of software, I did a trial reversing individual wave forms (notes to me) and achieved a result similar to that of the EHX Attack Decay effect. It's a bit synth-y sounding.

I can see fade-in working well, though it would be great if that could be automatically applied to every note. I'll try the wah, too!

User Info Menu

I tried fade-in on individual notes and it sounds more natural than reverse

So, looking at these wave forms, I'm wondering if there's any way I can get Audacity to apply the same fade-in preset to "all new wave form spikes", ie, where the pick attack lies.

I actually have a Sonuus i2M Musicport (midi-USB), but my little notebook doesn't want to know anything about it and, even if it did, I think latency would make it unworkable.

User Info Menu

Some VST plugins can be imported into Audacity, I have done it before with amp modeller plug-ins, reverbs etc. There is stuff about how to do it in the online manual.

So you might be able to find an envelope shaper type thing perhaps. E.g. something like these?

Free Transient Shaper VST Plugins!

User Info Menu

Do want a sound like a auto swell with maby compresson/Sustain or even a octave.

User Info Menu

Thanks Grahambop, will check that out.

Auto swell was one of the first terms that caught my eye: it all boils down to achieving a passable bowed string sound from violin down to double bass.

User Info Menu

definitely not a plug in!!!..but the best device i ever heard to achieve bow like sounds on a guitar was and is the Ebow...hand held..electronically (battery) charged magnet held over string..sets string in motion for infinite sustain...moving device horizontally makes bowing sounds

another great bow effect was the gizmotron...developed by the guys from 10cc...godley & creme...sounded great, but was difficult to use and not very roadworthy

old tech

but Ebow was great..all the hip players used them

still around

cheers

User Info Menu

Aware of the e-bow, and would not be adverse to using one, especially in a live situation. Please write a message to my family in your post "this would make a great early birthday gift for peter c" (only 10 months away)

The object of my endeavours right now is to make a ball-park demo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Thanks Grahambop, will check that out.

Auto swell was one of the first terms that caught my eye: it all boils down to achieving a passable bowed string sound from violin down to double bass.

Boss makes (or made) a pedal called Slow Gear that does what you want and you can adjust bowing.

User Info Menu

What’s that pedal Kurt Rosenwinkel uses to remove the attack? EHX POG or something.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    What’s that pedal Kurt Rosenwinkel uses to remove the attack? EHX POG or something.

Not the POG. That one stands for Polyphonic Octave Generator.

It might be the EHX Attack Decay:

EHX.com | Attack Decay - Tape Reverse Simulator | Electro-Harmonix

User Info Menu

It came up here on the forum a while back, the POG2 has an attack control apparently.

This is the demo that was mentioned, check it out at 1:25.

User Info Menu

The Miku pedal should do the trick;

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    It came up here on the forum a while back, the POG2 has an attack control apparently.
    So it does, thanks for the info.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    So it does, thanks for the info.
    Although it looks as if the ‘attack decay’ pedal can do much the same effect at a cheaper price.

User Info Menu

Heres some info from a previous/aged thread.
    Kurt Rosenwinkel's sound

Edit. I recently got the EHX Attack/Decay as extra part of a trade, it adds a weird " synthy reverse´ish digital artifact" and a shrill presence/boosted high freq. to the sound in Polymode (mono mode sounds natural but is almost as useless as slowgear!), if i needed the swell effect seriously, id check out the POG2.
    Furthermore, KR´s use of a compressor post swell, fast attack, fast release makes alot of sense in terms of getting close to a natural feeling where only the initial pick attack is "soft/swelled".
    Last edited by jazzmus; 04-16-2020 at 07:06 AM.