The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

i dont expect the schools where i teach to reopen this year. so in order to keep the gig we must find other means of teaching.

what do you guys use except skype?

any experiences with

-zoom
    -jammr
    -jamkazam
    -other software?

which work with ios and/or android?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I would think youtube live with something like OBS software would work well for workshops or masterclasses.

Youtube has a chat function so the participants watching could make comments or ask questions.

If you want to actually hear the viewers, I only know of Skype.

User Info Menu

A lot of students will have Skype and Discord and be familiar with it. Also Facebook messenger. It's worth it to have a good quality camera with excellent mics. I use a zoom q4 that I connect to the pc, and just play through my amp and talk. There is a big difference in the sound quality compared to the onboard camera and mic. I found no need to go guitar and a voice mic through a mixing console.

i forgot about discord. i used skype for lessons 15 years ago. the problem is working for state or municipal musicschools.
    apparently the software needs to be in compliance with european data protection law. which rules out skype it seems.

it's quite confusing to figure out how to make a living right now. thanks for your input.

User Info Menu

What about if you want to play with your student/teacher in time? Is there an elegant solution that doesn't create latency so you're truly in synch with one another?

User Info Menu

That's pretty much impossible. You can play and the student plays along what you play. But you will hear him slightly after. The basic problem is sound though, most computer mics compress pretty badly, and the guitar sounds nasty. It is worth investing in a mic or decent camera if you teach.

User Info Menu

Since I don't have a smartphone I have to use Skype via desktop pc but I know that some of my fellow teachers are using Whatsapp- no idea though if this works better than Skype.

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    That's pretty much impossible. You can play and the student plays along what you play. But you will hear him slightly after. The basic problem is sound though, most computer mics compress pretty badly, and the guitar sounds nasty. It is worth investing in a mic or decent camera if you teach.
    there seems to be software that tries to adress the latency with a synchronized click. i'll look into all the options next week and report back.

thanks to all for the input.