The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

trying out a new mic I just got. I’m liking it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow that is a gorgeous sound and your playing is gorgeous too. I had a similar Audio Technica stereo mic but it had a smaller head/capsule section. I forget the model - sold it quite a few years ago as I was not finding as much use for it as I expected and picked up a stereo matched pair of KM184's in the meantime that cover my needs.

Can you tell us a bit about the (also gorgeous) guitar you are playing in that clip?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz
    Wow that is a gorgeous sound.....

Can you tell us a bit about the (also gorgeous) guitar you are playing in that clip?
    thanks for listening! The guitar is the Halfling by Tom Ribbecke, the great luthier up in Healdsburg, CA.

User Info Menu

If you’re looking for feedback on the sound; it’s great.

User Info Menu

nice playing as always...sound is great..AT stereo condenser is classic nice mic...just remember positioning is everything..experiment...just aiming the mic at different parts of the guitar changes things dramatically

have fun...gonna be good

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    nice playing as always...sound is great..AT stereo condenser is classic nice mic...just remember positioning is everything..experiment...just aiming the mic at different parts of the guitar changes things dramatically

have fun...gonna be good

cheers
    thanks as always. The mike is actually close up on the amp; very little acoustic sound. Microphone Test - Audio Technica AT8022-ad055d7a-e5cf-43ad-93ab-df9f018cd062-jpg

User Info Menu

a testament to your fine playing and a wonderful guitar...the way you have it mic'ed you probably got as much room tone as speaker...next time try for a more stereo mic mix between amp and guitar...can be done..as i wrote- experiment!

cheers

ps- and get a 20$ mic stand!! you'll be ever so happier!
    Last edited by neatomic; 03-14-2020 at 09:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    thanks as always. The mike is actually close up on the amp; very little acoustic sound. Microphone Test - Audio Technica AT8022-ad055d7a-e5cf-43ad-93ab-df9f018cd062-jpg
    Nevertheless, it seems like there's a fair bit of the room sound in the clip. Regardless, it sounds excellent. Different from your live electric sound though.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    a testament to your fine playing and a wonderful guitar...the way you have it mic'ed you probably got as much room tone as speaker...next time try for a more stereo mic mix between amp and guitar...can be done..as i wrote- experiment!

cheers

ps- and get a 20$ mic stand!! you'll be ever so happier!
    i know it sounds very acoustic, but this is really 90% amp. I’m sitting about 8 feet away from the amp and facing away from it. I did pick up a small boom stand later this afternoon- so more to come.

User Info Menu

I think what people mean by room sound is the reflected sound of the amp, not the direct acoustic sound of the guitar. I agree that the mic may be picking up that reflected sound in addition to that coming directly from the speakers, and I think that helps the sound. Slight reverb without needing to add it digitally.

User Info Menu

Here’s the audio Technica 8022 stereo mike again. The music is spontaneous improve played this morning.

Microphone Test - Audio Technica AT8022-bd9c7aeb-c8db-4752-86ee-f4fa92cfdf74-jpg

User Info Menu

Mark, your spontaneous playing would have taken me weeks if not months to come up with. Beautiful.
    The sound is very unique. Mostly in your hands. Only the player can know if that’s the sound he was after. Im sure you are pleased.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Mark, your spontaneous playing would have taken me weeks if not months to come up with. Beautiful.
    The sound is very unique. Mostly in your hands. Only the player can know if that’s the sound he was after. Im sure you are pleased.
    Joe D
    thanks Max. I didn’t set out intending for anything unique in the sound, but over the years I gravitated towards the mellow but clear and ringing tones when choosing instruments, amps, picks, strings, and right down to choice of mikes and mike placement. Every detail works toward tickling my ear the way I want it. Then the playing and those zillion choices I can’t begin to analyze. Thanks again for listening!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    thanks Max. I didn’t set out intending for anything unique in the sound, but over the years I gravitated towards the mellow but clear and ringing tones when choosing instruments, amps, picks, strings, and right down to choice of mikes and mike placement. Every detail works toward tickling my ear the way I want it. Then the playing and those zillion choices I can’t begin to analyze. Thanks again for listening!
    Mark, I sense that you are very well set on the guitars you play (in fact the Ribbecke is one of my dream guitars), but if you ever get a chance, try a Gibson Solid Formed. The clearest easiest to play most articulate guitar I’ve ever played.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Mark, I sense that you are very well set on the guitars you play (in fact the Ribbecke is one of my dream guitars), but if you ever get a chance, try a Gibson Solid Formed. The clearest easiest to play most articulate guitar I’ve ever played.
    Joe D
    . I never heard of those. Looked it up- looks interesting, but I have to say I kinda wrote Gibson off years ago after their quality issues gained such notoriety. Having Ribbeckes in the Ouse does make it unlikely to look at much else.

User Info Menu

In my life, I will have a Ribbecke.
    One of the only guitars I’ve ever played that left a lasting impression on me because of the noticeable difference in sound.
    Once again, awesome playing and sweetly unique sound.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

In my life, I will have a Ribbecke.
    One of the only guitars I’ve ever played that left a lasting impression on me because of the noticeable difference in sound.
    Once again, awesome playing and sweetly unique sound.
    Joe D
    tom has some for salt right now at attractive prices. You never know about tomorrow; carpe diem.

User Info Menu

I hear you Mark. Right now is not a good time for me to buy a guitar like that. Maybe in a year.
    Keep playing great Mark. I’m inspired every time I listen to you, Mr Smooth...

Joe D
    Last edited by Max405; 03-19-2020 at 06:00 PM.