The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Ok so I am in the dark ages of tapes and mics from the 1980's. Would like to maybe do my own recording and wonder if anyone has this system or used it. It appears all in one and not complicated. I have windows 10. I would like to record solo guitar and also at some point put down a rhythm track and play over it for a recording. I don't want spend huge amounts of money what do you think of the below?

Presonus Audiobox 96 Studio Recording Interface+Headphones+Microphone+Software 673454006166 | eBay

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

unless you specifically need to use mics...as opposed to recording the guitar directly...or need to record more than one track at a time...you'd be better off getting a dedicated guitar modeler with usb/computer interface...i use a vox tonelab...and was just reading that Joe D records all his wonderful vids with a boss gt...

zoom also makes similar

the benefit is that you just get various hands on guitar amps and guitar effects, rather than paying for mic preamps...which are expensive

there are also very simple interfaces which just connect your guitar to usb/computer..and all the tone adjusting is done with software on the computer...which can be a bit counterintuitive for some

luck

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Ok so I am in the dark ages of tapes and mics from the 1980's. Would like to maybe do my own recording and wonder if anyone has this system or used it. It appears all in one and not complicated. I have windows 10. I would like to record solo guitar and also at some point put down a rhythm track and play over it for a recording. I don't want spend huge amounts of money what do you think of the below?

Presonus Audiobox 96 Studio Recording Interface+Headphones+Microphone+Software 673454006166 | eBay
    Does not look bad for the money.

DB

User Info Menu

I have a Presonus audiobox 22. For the amateurish guitar recording I do, it does I think, a very nice job. Mine didn’t come with the mic and headphones. I use a SM57 mic and Grado SR225 headphones. I’m sure the included Presonus headphones and mic will do just fine.

User Info Menu

If you already have a mic, mic stand, headphones and cables... maybe you only need the interface and software?

I don't have anything I need the whole package. The mic thing seems pretty good although I realize may are simply going direct. I wish I know all the various options and such.

User Info Menu

In addition to producing the sound and product I want it is very important for me that my recording set-up is easy to navigate and fun to work with, otherwise I tend to "put off recording for another day".

After using audio software from several different manufacturer's I have found Acoustica's MixCraft to be excellent and it's interface is intuitive making it easy to work in. I use a Line 6 audio interface to my PC which comes with POD Farm 2 modeling software, however, I prefer to record either direct-out from an amp or mic my amps with a Shure SM57.

Have fun and enjoy.

User Info Menu

Well the 2 basic options are:

1) Plug your guitar into the presonus box, connect the presonus box via usb lead to your computer. If it comes with some kind of recording software to install on your computer, you would use the software to record and then probably add some reverb and some kind of amp simulation to the recording on your computer. Alternatively if you have an amplifier with line out, you could go via the amp first, connect the line out to the presonus, then carry on as before. You probably wouldn’t need the amp sim effect this way, because you’ve already captured the amp sound to some extent.

2) Use the mic to record from the speaker of your amp, plug the mic into the presonus box, then usb lead from the presonus box to your computer, and so on. Again the amp sim effect is probably not needed in this scenario.

I personally favour (1) because I find it much easier and more successful than using a mic. But lots of people use (2) so worth trying both methods.

I am assuming you are talking ‘electric’ sound here. If you want to capture an acoustic archtop for example, then obviously you will need to use the mic.

User Info Menu

As it happens my son has got that Presonus Audiobox, he seems quite happy with it.

Yes I would want to use both acoustic and electric set up. I play mostly acoustic archtops but I do go through amps for playing too. The more I look the better Presonus stuff looks pretty good. Gives me the option to simply play acoustic and in my mind/ear that is what I want to hear at least when comparing acoustic archtops. I tell you I so far behind on recording stuff due to of course my focus on repairs and such, plus I hate recording in that I always get nervous around mics. I just feel like oh I know I am going to make a mistake and sure enough I do. It is like instinctive for me to know something is being recorded and boooooooom I will mess it up.

Then or course there is the other part that says any cash spent on recording gear is money I don't have to spend on maybe a guitar. Right now I am looking out for a D'a style A, or L5-S400 acoustic so too many irons in the fire.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ESCC
    In addition to producing the sound and product I want it is very important for me that my recording set-up is easy to navigate and fun to work with, otherwise I tend to "put off recording for another day".

After using audio software from several different manufacturer's I have found Acoustica's MixCraft to be excellent and it's interface is intuitive making it easy to work in. I use a Line 6 audio interface to my PC which comes with POD Farm 2 modeling software, however, I prefer to record either direct-out from an amp or mic my amps with a Shure SM57.

Have fun and enjoy.
    That is similar to my experience. I like everything to be set up and ready to go. I have a 4 input interface, a Behringer UMC404HD. In the first input a guitar amp mic, in the second input a bass amp mic, in the third input the direct out from the bass amp, and in the fourth input a vocal mic. I'm using Reaper as my software.

I'm ready to record at a moment's notice. I prefer to record my electric guitar with an sm57 on the amp. I usually record my bass direct although I'm using the amp as a monitor. And I use the vocal mic, a large diaphragm condenser mic, to record acoustic instruments, mostly mandolin and guitar.

User Info Menu

For what it's worth, nothing in that package is a really big deal, but that's a hell of a lot for that money.

I'd sit and have me a think about what exactly it is I'm trying to do, how I want to go about doing it, how much effort I'm willing to put into it and how far I want to take it. Once you have some parameters, think of a budget and do some poking around.

Recording takes work. You have to learn techniques, software, equipment and all that. And once it's in the computer, you have to learn to mix it and give it a spit shine. It's a commitment. The easier you make it on yourself, the happier you'll be and the bettern your results will be. Beyond that, it's a huge money pit.

I'd recommend recording your electrics direct. The method will depend on your budget and the sounds you're after. Doesn't get much easier and for an absolute beginner, it can't sound any better. I hate going direct with acoustics, but you do what you gotta. Is it worth dealing with mediocre sounds to have the cost and hassle of buying and setting up mics, maybe even getting a little treatment for the room? That's up to you.

User Info Menu

That will get you started for sure, and price is very doable. You can always use a mic for recording your amp, a singer or other. I think it's good start.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I don't have anything I need the whole package. The mic thing seems pretty good although I realize may are simply going direct. I wish I know all the various options and such.
    I went with a similar package of behringer umc202 + condenser mic. Works a treat, and as Graham says, gives you 3 options, direct / line out from amp / mic. All 3 seem to work nicely, it's nice to have the options. I should have done this sooner - the whole recording process is now much easier, and the results much better than line out > sound card which is what I was doing previously.