The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Quite a while back someone suggested some RealTracks that had excellent Hammond organ included. It seems like it was RT 56 or 53 or something. I've never bought any extra paks/sets and was wondering which pak or set I should get for this. As I understand you need to buy a Pak not just specific RTs. Is that correct? I did a search but couldn't find the post. Would sure like to get that organ but don't want it in the wrong context. Thanks.
    Last edited by geoffsct; 02-21-2020 at 03:22 PM. Reason: typo

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’ve got the B3 real tracks played by Mike LeDonne. You can purchase and download individual real track sets, I think it was RT 90 I got.

I used it here:

User Info Menu

who would ever know thats a virtual organ..very authentic...why i bought it too...any link for a transcription Graham....cheers

Thanks Grahambop. I'll get that one. Any more I should audition in the jazz/blues genre? Well then I was just reading up on how to use the "stylepicker" so I'll filter with that too. It seems like someone posted a clip doing some Wes or Grant Green with one but I can't remember. I do like that Green Onions Booker T. sound too.

User Info Menu

lol I might be the guilty party for that too. I also got the Bossa B3 set (147) and I used it for this, was trying for a bit of a Grant Green groove here.

Last edited by grahambop; 02-21-2020 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks again grahambop! Hope BIAB makes me play like that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxsss
    who would ever know thats a virtual organ..very authentic...why i bought it too...any link for a transcription Graham....cheers
    no I couldn’t find a lead sheet for ‘Chant’ anywhere, it’s a slightly obscure tune by Duke Pearson, so I just worked out the melody and the changes by ear. One oddity is that the head is 31 bars, then for the solos they revert to 32-bar form. I heard Peter Bernstein play it at a gig and that made me want to have a go at it (that’s also why I was inspired to use the B3 tracks, Peter was playing with Larry Goldings on organ).

I used this 1961 Donald Byrd recording (which I’d had for years) to work it out from:

User Info Menu

Here Im using PG Band in a Box real track hammond organ as backing.

User Info Menu

very nice stratty blues!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    no I couldn’t find a lead sheet for ‘Chant’ anywhere, it’s a slightly obscure tune by Duke Pearson, so I just worked out the melody and the changes by ear. One oddity is that the head is 31 bars, then for the solos they revert to 32-bar form. I heard Peter Bernstein play it at a gig and that made me want to have a go at it (that’s also why I was inspired to use the B3 tracks, Peter was playing with Larry Goldings on organ).

I used this 1961 Donald Byrd recording (which I’d had for years) to work it out from:
    I just finished working out Jeannine from Duke. And oddly enough, it was also Donald Byrd that I learned it from (and transcribed his solo). Jeannine is also a little off the beaten path, as I think it's a 56 bar form. I really liked Chant, I'm going to have to look up Duke Pearson and take a listen to more of his music.

User Info Menu

Yes he wrote some good stuff. I’ve got a nice album by Duke Pearson, ‘Wahoo’:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahoo!

User Info Menu

Just remembered I used the B3 tracks for this one too. Sounds like I made it change styles between the bossa and swing B3 during the head, then back to swing for the solo (can’t remember the details now!):