The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15
    joelf Guest
    Anyone here use it? Opinions?

I'd like to purchase it---over the other available notation software----for these reasons:

1) I'm very attracted to the idea of writing notes right on the staff lines (w/an e-stylus), as opposed to the more 'abstract' method of hitting PC keys, or even using a (musical) keyboard. I will have played the notes on gtr or pno beforehand.

2) At around $70 it's damn cheap.

3) The manufacture claims it has playback.

(I'm not expecting miracles. You get what you pay for, and I doubt it'll do what Finale or Sibelius can. Not even sure I can enter a full score with it. The main attraction for me is the writing directly on the staff displayed my touchscreen)...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've had my eye on Staffpad for a while but last time I looked the startup cost included a $1500 Microsoft Surface.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    I've had my eye on Staffpad for a while but last time I looked the startup cost included a $1500 Microsoft Surface.
    What? WHY? That's a deal-breaker.

I researched it and came to believe all's you needed was the software, a tablet moded PC (it won't work w/dedicated tablets), and the e-stylus.

Are you sure? And what in the Sam Hill is Microsoft Surface?

CRAP!!

User Info Menu

I had looked at this in the past and also liked penning in notes that fill in with a standard font and I believe it does have playback.

The computer issue has to do with the type of digital pen as noted here:

StaffPad requires a Windows 10 device with an active digitiser. There are many compatible tablets with active digitiser technology, but please check with the manufacturer that your device supports true active pen input before purchasing StaffPad. A passive stylus or capacitive touch-only device is not compatible with StaffPad.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keith
    I had looked at this in the past and also liked penning in notes that fill in with a standard font and I believe it does have playback.

The computer issue has to do with the type of digital pen as noted here:

StaffPad requires a Windows 10 device with an active digitiser. There are many compatible tablets with active digitiser technology, but please check with the manufacturer that your device supports true active pen input before purchasing StaffPad. A passive stylus or capacitive touch-only device is not compatible with StaffPad.
    Thanks-----but English, please (for the last paragraph). I know nothing about these terms...

User Info Menu

You could bypass the technical mumbo jumbo and simply purchase a device asserted to be compatible by the authors:

Which devices are compatible with StaffPad? – StaffPad Help

some of which are only a few hundred USD.

joelf Guest
    You could bypass the technical mumbo jumbo and simply purchase a device asserted to be compatible by the authors:

Which devices are compatible with StaffPad? – StaffPad Help

some of which are only a few hundred USD.
    Thanks! Now yer talkin'.

The younger people here may not know that I'm not from their generation---2 generations removed, actually. I'm not making excuses, I want to learn, b/c he who doesn't adapt just may get rolled over. But at present this stuff is new, confusing to me, and not part of my culture. So guys, please work with me...

joelf Guest
    It didn't list my laptop (Gateway NV570P09u). But that doesn't mean it won't be compatible. When the time comes to pony up I'll get in touch w/StaffPad and ask...

joelf Guest
    Indulge one last question, if you would:

Is StaffPad now compatible w/tablets? It wasn't ca 1 year ago.

Seems to me that would be the cheapest way out: the software @$70, a tablet for under $100, the stylus, also around $100. The tablet would need to be 'active' for the stylus, as expressed above.

Or maybe that's not possible?

User Info Menu

Staffpad is a windows app that runs on windows 10 only. Most generic tablets use Android. If you'd like to use the stylus feature you'd need either a windows 10 tablet or a windows 10 laptop that uses "windows surface" which is what they call their touchscreen technology.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Staffpad is a windows app that runs on windows 10 only. Most generic tablets use Android. If you'd like to use the stylus feature you'd need either a windows 10 tablet or a windows 10 laptop that uses "windows surface" which is what they call their touchscreen technology.
    Thanks. My laptop runs on Windows 10. It would be easy enough to find out from Gateway or the store I bought it from whether it has the 'windows surface'. I assume that that is what includes the 'active stylus' capability?

User Info Menu

It has to have a touchscreen, like on a phone or tablet. A stylus only works with touchscreens. I think you will have to cough up the coins and buy a Microsoft Surface to use that program. Personally, I would be looking at different software, but that's just me.

User Info Menu

Staffpad is now reputedly compatible with iPADs. I have a MINI. The appeal is in the handwritten approach. Question is whether it is compatible with other output/input like Musescore, etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JWMandy
    Staffpad is now reputedly compatible with iPADs. I have a MINI. The appeal is in the handwritten approach. Question is whether it is compatible with other output/input like Musescore, etc.
    The most widely used interchange format supported by many notation programs is MusicXML. Staffpad seems to be able to import and export MusicXML files.

User Info Menu

I’ve been using Staffpad (on a big iPad) extensively for the past 2 years, mainly to arrange large ensemble pieces, but also for smaller pieces and for lead sheet-type writing. Despite a few quirks I find I can work with it very efficiently, and find its musical handwriting recgonition workflow inspiring to work in. Yes, you can to other apps that support MusicML, as well as bring in MIDI files.