The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Anybody on here use Reaper? I just started using it and am having a hard time finding a decent explanation of how to get rid of the dead space at the beginning of a recording. I have a couple tracks that have about 13 secs before the music starts and I'd like to get rid of it. Seems simple enough but the users manual is way too complicated. Any help or a link to some help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    Anybody on here use Reaper? I just started using it and am having a hard time finding a decent explanation of how to get rid of the dead space at the beginning of a recording. I have a couple tracks that have about 13 secs before the music starts and I'd like to get rid of it. Seems simple enough but the users manual is way too complicated. Any help or a link to some help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
    Did you do the YouTube search? It's usually quickest way to find something which may work. Haven't specifically done this in a while. You might try this:

User Info Menu

Usually, you can make a selection (as tightly to the start/end of your track as you like) and export the audio from the selection. This would result in a new "trimmed" file. You can do this in Audacity and every other DAW that I know of ...

Otherwise, if you're actually trying to remove bits from your project, it's more like Matt suggests.

User Info Menu

Blank space = select all tracks and drag everything to the left.

non-blank space = split the track(s) where the music starts, delete the unwanted portion then drag everything to the left.

If you can be more specific, I can also be more specific.

User Info Menu

Reaper has its own forum for new users. You'll get a good answer in minutes there. Always.

User Info Menu

But a cool way is to "hold alt + click/drag the item". If you dont have to worry about the sync with the rest of the material.
    Or have the "snap" option unchecked (the button looks like a little magnet - upper left corner there), then put the cursor on a desired location and push "s" - shortcut for "split items". Then just select the empty part and push "del".
    edit:Or hover the mouse cursor at the edge of the item so it will change to .... kind of an arrow. Then click and drag. eh. thats probably what you wanted really

User Info Menu

Also note that except for certain operations (like gluing) Reaper is non-destructive and whichever you do it (and I agree that click/drag is easiest to trim the ends) this will not affect the source file.

User Info Menu

The tutorial videos on the Reaper site are excellent, you should work your way through a bunch of them. They're here: REAPER | Videos

You could trim your audio track ("Media Item") and then grab and move it. Or if you have multiple tracks you can do it all at once, shift click each item so they are all active and trim and move them together). For trimming go to 1:50 of this video. For moving look at 0:30 of this video. (It's worthwhile to watch the entire video.)

These tutorial videos by Kenny Gioia - Reaper Mania are both on the reaper page and posted to youtube. They are a great way to learn Reaper, these videos are a big part of why I recommend Reaper to my friends. I grabbed this from youtube so I could link it here:

User Info Menu

One thing to help to greatly speed up all cutting and trimming and editing actions in Reaper:
    (I believe that the default was something else and rather clunky.. and probably would find out about much later if ever when not actually looking for those neat options)
    go to Options>Preferences>Editing Behavior. now, I think the default was something else so.. at "Horizontal zoom center" select "Mouse cursor".
    This is the human way to navigate.

The thing with Reaper is, it is so worth of reading the manuals. Because there are lots of cool stuff that you even didn't know to ask for and cant live without later.