The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32
    How, specifically, do you use an iPhone in your musical life?
    I’m not very informed about apps.
    Me?
    - YouTube (recordings, backing tracks, live performances)
    - My songs (my music library)
    - Metronome / tuner
    But I suspect there are cool apps out there - Loopers? Transcribing apps? ...
    And those cool apps I’m totally unaware of.
    Last edited by GuitarStudent; 09-01-2019 at 09:43 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Youtube

Backing tracks

Demo recordings

MuseScore (sight reading app)

Notes (otherwise I’ll forget all titles of my compositions)

Edit: For a long while I also had a metronome app, but nowadays I don’t have any need for it.

User Info Menu

I use my iphone to record the videos I post in the Patterns for Jazz study group. It's easy to do.

I have iRealBook on my phone, though I don't use it as much as I thought I might.

Don't use the phone for a metronome. It has them on it but I have an old Sabine that I'm used to, so that's what I use for that.

May get a new phone in October. If I do, I can use drumgenius tracks playing on my current phone and record that sound + my guitar on video via another phone. (The drumgenius app is great but I can't use it while using the phone to record video.)

User Info Menu

I use it for several things:
    • recording video for study groups
    • iReal Pro backing tracks
    • Capo! for slowing things down, slowing down pre-recorded MP3 backing tracks
    • Metronome
    • Tuner
    • Listening to jazzradio.com Jazz guitar channel

I also use my iPad for some of these things when I'm using the phone for recording video

User Info Menu

Nothing, because I'll never own an iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Nothing, because I'll never own an iPhone.
    Oh. I won mine in a raffle.

User Info Menu

Don't like iPhones, never owned one. One app on my phone I can't never leave without is iRealPro. Everything else is negotiable.

User Info Menu

My musical life is my analogue life. It is time spent away from Apple products.

User Info Menu

Me too. I've never owned an iAnything, and don't ever plan to. I have iRealPro on my Android phone, but don't use it that often, because my chromebook runs Android and works better for that, especially entering new songs. Backing tracks work better for me from my computer. I don't bother to record anything, although my phone will do that. I don't even remember to take photos with my phone most of the time. I do use it for running Peterson's Stroboscope tuning software for setting intonation. Not much else, though.

Thank you, contributors.
    all of the following interest me:
    - iRealPro
    - Peterson Stroboscope,
    - Capo!
    - MuseScore
    - DrumGenius
    - JazzRadio.com.
    - ForScore
    - BIAB
    - Jamup
    - Soundslice
    BTW: I knew mentioning iPhone specifically could create reactions. It’s a phone. I’m not a iPhone cheerleader or detractor.
    Last edited by GuitarStudent; 08-31-2019 at 10:25 PM.

I'm an android guy , but this is one of my favorite apps ever for phone: Audipo - Audio Speed Changer - on the App Store
    it's basically like transcribe for your phone. So much better than a regular audio player . The enlarged timeline bar alone is a feature every musician needs on a small phone interface. You can drop markers, loop sections etc. etc. Tremendous tool (for android anyway). The above is the link for the apple version.

User Info Menu

I 've found iPhones overpriced and really user unfriendly the way all their software is locked, so have gone to Android for several years now. Whatever phone though, I use it for

Ireal
    Metronome
    Tuner
    Recorder for recording rehearsals and ideas
    Video recording sometimes
    Taking photos on gigs
    Music player

Also have all real books and a bunch of other stuff stored in it in PDF, resumes, promo stuff, my tunes and charts, etc..

I used to carry a laptop on lessons, then a tablet, these days just the phone!

User Info Menu

lm loving fore score on ipad
    load in your pdfs and create
    set lists for gigs , share them with your bandmates ...

wonderful ...no paper ....

User Info Menu

Jazz is not the only style I play (or even the main style). So my go to apps and sites are below.

Apps I use:
    - iReal Pro (great for BIAB)
    - Music Memos (great for recording practices and noodling because it automatically detects chords and labels them)
    - Ultimate Guitar: Chords & Tabs
    - Jellynote & Musicnotes for more song chord charts

Websites:
    - jazzguitar.be (of course!)
    - hooktheory.com (great for laying out chord progressions!)

YouTube Chanels:
    - Rick Beato
    - Phillip McKnight (I love the “Know Your Gear segments)
    - Mike Pachelli
    - Learn Classical Guitar
    - Michael New (great explanations for music theory)
    - JHS Pedals (a small-scale pedal mfg that objectively reviews OTHER BRANDS!)
    -Polyphonic
    Uncle Doug’s (TUBE AMP REPAIR & THEORY!!!)
    -I browse Anderton’s, That Pedal Show, the Guitar Geek, and others, but they aren’t my go to for information as much as I find them entertaining

WISH LIST
    - Simple to use iPad Pro recording suite for demos
    - USB-C recording interface that was iPad Pro compatible
    Last edited by zcostilla; 08-31-2019 at 07:43 PM.

User Info Menu

I use an ipad pro with forscore, irealbooks and jamup. Jamup is a great little looper/slow downer from positive grid. I think Capo looks great and is similar but the cost is a bit high. $20/yr.
    Actually I love the big screen and I have gone paperless also.

I think I should also mention soundslice as i have been playing with that lately and its like a dream on the 12” screen. Best of all I can get away from the desk and stop bumping my guitars on a tabletop.

Last good feature, since the ipad has a magnet for the pencil it sticks to any metal music stand and feels very secure - no more weird bracket things. This is my second ipad last one was fine for seven years and survived lots of small drops etc.

User Info Menu

A great thing about MuseScore is the freedom of choice you have. When you’re searching for a certain composition there are usually a bunch of different lead sheets to choose between in different arrangements. Apart from that you also have the freedom to choose key, tempo and even if you want a piano to play the head/melody. Metronome is also available for you. With other words, a great sight reading app. Observe that you have to create an account, though.

User Info Menu

My phone uses a landline...can only use it at home, maybe to call other musicians. No mobile phone in my future. CIA pissed they can't track my location out of my house...

User Info Menu

I doubt the CIA worries about your location. Google is the entity that wants to know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9
    With other words, a great sight reading app. Observe that you have to create an account, though.
    Thanks. MuseScore sounds great.
    Last edited by GuitarStudent; 09-01-2019 at 10:42 AM.

User Info Menu

I read it as "in other words, Musescore is a great..." English is not the first language of every person on earth, so some mental effort can sometimes be required from those of us for whom it is.

User Info Menu

I use Cleartune - very precise tuner app. I play woodwinds as well, so it’s very handy.

I keep iReal on the phone just in case I need changes or have to transpose for a singer.

GoButton is a very handy app I use for running backing tracks for my seniors home gigs.

User Info Menu

Don’t use a desktop anymore. Switched to iPad 6 years ago. Went a little nuts.
    Attached Images Attached Images iPhone <—> Your musical life-9b61acdf-947a-4b66-9a82-f3a4069a00e6-jpg 

User Info Menu

Drum Genius is pretty great. I'd say that and Sightreading factory have been my two favorite apps. Also, I use Modacity for practicing and that is fantastic for targeted practice because it does recording and playback, but in a way that doesn't save the recording unless you tell it to. So it's great for working on things where you want to hear playback and adjust, I use it for classical practice.

Cute.
    Would you care to a few that are especially terrific?
    Thank you

User Info Menu

I use my iphone a LOT

- Recordings during practice (Voice Memo)
    - the really very good iPhone 7 camera for making videos
    - Metronome app (Tempo)
    - Drum Genius (the best music app ever, IMO)
    - iReal (I'm ashamed to say haha)
    - Cleartune
    - Ear Training apps (I use Functional Ear Trainer)
    - Loads of social media apps and so on. I need to get more into Instagram, cos that's where the musos are these days.