Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

How does the mix sound? track levels, panning, compression, eq, reverb levels, appropriate for style blah blah blah...

Please mention what you are listening on.

Thanks in advance.

Box
    Attached Images Attached Images Lend me your ears, mix check-lets-stay-together-draft-4-png 
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey Fep, sounds great. Just a quick impression.

Maybe pan a little more. Harmonica and vocals more forward in the mix. Rhythm section (and bass) is a bit overwhelming.

Oh. I'm listening on my JBL studio monitors, connected to a Scarlett 18i8.
    Last edited by Jazzstdnt; 07-14-2019 at 11:18 AM.

User Info Menu

This is quite impressive. I'm assuming you're singing and playing everything.

Like Jazzstdnt said, I think the vocals need to be more up front. But more importantly there's a lack of clarity and separation in the lower end. Muddiness is what I guess you'd call it. I'm listening on some $18 earbuds but I listened to some other stuff for comparison and don't hear that muddiness.

I'm sure it could be fixed with EQ on the individual tracks. Have you seen any videos on the YT channel "In the Mix?" That guy really knows his stuff and explains it well.

Just my 2 cents. Overall I think you did an excellent job on this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep View Post
    How does the mix sound? track levels, panning, compression, eq, reverb levels, appropriate for style blah blah blah...

Please mention what you are listening on.

Thanks in advance.

Box

Hello, can you tell us a bit about what processing you’ve done already to the tracks and master buss, it will help with the suggestions.

I only listened very quickly on an iPad, let me hear it on some headphones later to give proper feedback.

Also, what tracks are midi and what is audio? Long story short, midi plug ins are a very underutilized tool, dynamics can be especially useful for shaping and improving the sound/response of virtual instruments.

Lastly just wanted to say, there are some very good things performance wise going on in the song. Nice job.

Take care.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt View Post
    Hey Fep, sounds great. Just a quick impression.

Maybe pan a little more. Harmonica and vocals more forward in the mix. Rhythm section (and bass) is a bit overwhelming.

Oh. I'm listening on my JBL studio monitors, connected to a Scarlett 18i8.
    Thanks Jazzstdnt, good actionable comment. I'm out of town now but when I get back I'll listen for what you said. After spending so much time with a mix one can sort of lose it. I reference to another tune (Steely Dan third world man) to try to keep perspective.
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue View Post
    This is quite impressive. I'm assuming you're singing and playing everything.

Like Jazzstdnt said, I think the vocals need to be more up front. But more importantly there's a lack of clarity and separation in the lower end. Muddiness is what I guess you'd call it. I'm listening on some $18 earbuds but I listened to some other stuff for comparison and don't hear that muddiness.

I'm sure it could be fixed with EQ on the individual tracks. Have you seen any videos on the YT channel "In the Mix?" That guy really knows his stuff and explains it well.

Just my 2 cents. Overall I think you did an excellent job on this.
    This is me and my friend whose main instrument is sax doing all the tracks except the drums, he's also the singer.

Ear buds are legitimate to me as so many listen through them. Regardless, it's good for me to know what you listened through (though 1/8" phone speakers, meh)

Thanks, I'll listen for the mud. The first thing I do is put a high pass eq on all tracks to get rid of the really low lows. Actually on some instruments I'll take quite a bit of the lows away, for instance I might go as far 150hz or more for acoustic guitar, 60 hz kick drum (the whole drum kit actually in this case), 80 for bass guitar etc.

The mud is probably the bass and kick, could be the ac piano also.

I think another way to get clarity is to reduce the reverb. Can't do that for the elec guitar as it is printed (reverb from the guit. amp when recorded). I can reduce the reverb in everything else. Another thing to try is put a low pass eq on the reverb bus to get rid of any mud there.

I'll check out the YT videos. I'm a big fan of learning mixing from youtube.
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove View Post
    Hello, can you tell us a bit about what processing you’ve done already to the tracks and master buss, it will help with the suggestions.

I only listened very quickly on an iPad, let me hear it on some headphones later to give proper feedback.

Also, what tracks are midi and what is audio? Long story short, midi plug ins are a very underutilized tool, dynamics can be especially useful for shaping and improving the sound/response of virtual instruments.

Lastly just wanted to say, there are some very good things performance wise going on in the song. Nice job.

Take care.
    Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. I had a response yesterday but it wouldn't submit, I think this site was having problems.

The drums are midi done with a virtual instrument - EZDrummer2, all the other tracks are audio and where performed by me and my buddy. I need to get more virtual instruments and more comfort with midi, in particular for the keyboard parts. I’m a bit behind the times.

On the master channel I have compression, then eq, then multiband compression, and then a limiter. A pretty light touch with all that. LUFS are at about 14.

I have a high pass filter eq on every track. And additional eq on many of the tracks, often adding a high shelf plus a few db, and sometimes a little sculpturing with a parametric band eq. And on certain tracks I also have compression. I trying to use compression for clarity, not for loudness.

There is also a Reverb buss that didn’t fit on the screen for the screen capture I posted in the first post. I only have reverb on the guitars, the sax, and the voices.

I'll add my friend Keith, he plays so many instruments well and has a good voice, his main instrument is sax or so he says. I record the guitar parts, either one of us will record bass, I'll do the drum "lego building" of the midi groves, he does all the other instruments.. I'll do vocals sometimes but his voice is much better, he's doing vocals on this one. I want to move us in the direction of songwriting.
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

User Info Menu

Here is an example, this is the processing on the vocal.

First a high pass eq before the compressor so the low end I can't hear or don't want is not activating the compressor.

2nd the compressor which is probably hitting maybe 10% of the words he's singing taking them down up to -3db.

3rd an eq high shelf adding some brightness.

This track is also being sent to a reverb bus.
    Attached Images Attached Images Lend me your ears, mix check-eq1-png Lend me your ears, mix check-eq2-png Lend me your ears, mix check-eq3-png 
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

User Info Menu

Frank,
    I'm just learning this recording stuff. It's a bit overwhelming, but in the past week or two I've learned a lot by by watching some good videos specifically "Reaper Mania" and "In the Mix."

I see that you're EQ-ing before and after compression - I just learned about that yesterday. It was suggested to cut before compression and boost after if necessary. Looks like that's what you're doing.

The muddiness could be from frequencies overlapping from different instruments - bass, kick drum, low end of guitar. Don't know the solution, but it's a place to start investigating.

Good luck with your project. Like I said before, what you've done is quite impressive.

User Info Menu

Listening on headphones here. I know them very well, HD600's, but it's still headphones so I won't comment too much on balance etc.

Some things stick out though. The vocals have some very strong, unnatural ess's, so I would de-ess or back off in those areas.

The piano sounds a bit detached from the group. Very dry, mono and midi-like. Give it some ambience and if possible, width?

Sounds like the bottom end probably needs some controlling. Try keeping it (kick/bass) in check with a multiband compressor?

Generally, too much smilie-curve eq in total? Back off on bottom/top end and get some midrange going? Pull up a known, good sounding track and compare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Runepune View Post
    Listening on headphones here. I know them very well, HD600's, but it's still headphones so I won't comment too much on balance etc.

Some things stick out though. The vocals have some very strong, unnatural ess's, so I would de-ess or back off in those areas.

The piano sounds a bit detached from the group. Very dry, mono and midi-like. Give it some ambience and if possible, width?

Sounds like the bottom end probably needs some controlling. Try keeping it (kick/bass) in check with a multiband compressor?

Generally, too much smilie-curve eq in total? Back off on bottom/top end and get some midrange going? Pull up a known, good sounding track and compare
    Thanks for the listen and comments.

I'll remove the ess's in the vocals, I do that manually with surgery, it works really well the way I do it. Thanks.

Ac. piano is mono and panned 62% left. I felt I needed to pan the Ac. piano and 12 string guitar (64% right) pretty far away from each other for clarity. I have no reverb on the Ac. piano I'll try some, I can pan the reverb to the opposite side a bit and see what that does for width. It's a compromise as my co-conspirator is often asking me to reduce reverb.

Interesting as I didn't cut middle on anything, cut bass on everything, added high end on some things. Perhaps the instruments going in don't have much middle? Actually I cut so much low end on the 12 string that I might of lost some middle, I felt I needed that for clarity as I didn't want to turn the 12 string up.

I'll take a listen, like you said I could reduce the kick and bass bottom frequencies. I think that is probably the key.

I have a multiband in the master channel. One thing is, bass sounds different depending what I listen too... Put on my Bose noise canceling headphones, tons of bass (horrible headphones for mixing imo, but okay to check a mix with as a lot of people listen to headphones that hype the bass). My earbuds, lots of middle on this mix. My reference speakers in my room, sitting in the spot, with bass traps, sounds good to me (Kali LP-8 speakers).

For reference I used New World Man off the Gaucho album. It is so much better than my mix though, so much clarity on the Gaucho album.

This is how my multi band in the master channel is set up... it's pretty much only hitting compression on the low frequencies up to about -1db once in a while. Soloing the low band on the multi-band compressor, there's a lot of kick in the 200hz and below.
    Attached Images Attached Images Lend me your ears, mix check-multi-eq-jpg 
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

User Info Menu

Hi FEP. Nothing really to add to what's already been said but lots to learn for me by just following the conversation. Thanks again for the help a few months ago. I've learned a lot from your advice.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 07-17-2019 at 07:06 PM.
    My CD "Bare Handed" is available as a download at Bandcamp.com
    http://jimsoloway.bandcamp.com/album/bare-handed

User Info Menu

I probably agree with your co-conspirator about reverb, as I don't like too much of it myself But I'd try some ambience (very small space or just early reflections) on the piano, to push it out of the speaker and into the band.

Yeah, it's likely just too much power in low end instruments + high shelf eq's that gives it a smilie feel. Try hitting the low end on the multiband harder...I'm guessing it's mostly the kick that triggers it?