Likes Likes:  0

User Info Menu

I know that I can export files into a DAW, and record that way. But I'm looking for a simple way to record myself playing while being able to watch BIAB and the chord changes fly by. I use an amp modeler (amplitube/guitar rig, etc) for the guitar sound. The real issue here seems to be that since I'm using ASIO, there's no real easy way that I've found to do this. Audacity seemed to be the way to do this, but since I use ASIO, I need to compile a special version from source code, which I'm not keen to do (even tho I can, I just don't have all the special programs needed installed to do it).

BIAB seems to have a built in audio recorder, but I can't google anyway to get this to work properly with my input.

I use a Behrigner audio device to run my guitar into the PC, btw.

Any ideas?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You could try one of the free screen video/audio recorders like:

CamStudio Portable (screen recorder) | PortableApps.com

or

Easy Screencast Recorder - DonationCoder.com

They capture all screen and audio activity, and save to a video file format. The question is, will they recognize audio with the ASIO driver active. If Audacity wouldn't, I'm not sure these would, but it's worth a try. Did you play with the input settings in Audacity to get it to listen to the right audio source?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strumcat View Post
    The question is, will they recognize audio with the ASIO driver active.
    My guess is, no. I'll give them a look tomorrow, but ASIO has a different licensing form than most free software, so they are unable to include it. It's why Audacity requires you to compile your own.

User Info Menu

I can use BIAB and a Behringer UMC404HD audio interface to record, but took me some time to make everything work. You should keep on trying.

I have BIAB (2016) open to see my options. On the main window, if you click on audio there’s a drop down menu. Click “Record Audio” - “Audio Options”. On the “Audio Driver Type” I have ASIO selected, so this works with ASIO.
    But you can try to use the MME option. Don’t forget to reboot, at least, the audio interface taking off the USB connector and plug it again.

I don’t know what operative system you’re using, I’m on Windows 10 but, as I said, keep trying solved the same problems you’re having now.

User Info Menu

If your version of BIAB came with Realband, that may be something to look at.

Realband is a combination of BIAB and a DAW.

The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar; now that's my idea of a good time - Frank Zappa

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cordalis View Post
    I can use BIAB and a Behringer UMC404HD audio interface to record, but took me some time to make everything work. You should keep on trying.

I have BIAB (2016) open to see my options. On the main window, if you click on audio there’s a drop down menu. Click “Record Audio” - “Audio Options”. On the “Audio Driver Type” I have ASIO selected, so this works with ASIO.
    But you can try to use the MME option. Don’t forget to reboot, at least, the audio interface taking off the USB connector and plug it again.

I don’t know what operative system you’re using, I’m on Windows 10 but, as I said, keep trying solved the same problems you’re having now.
    Thanks, I have Win10 as well. I'm usually pretty good at this stuff, and I've made sure all the audio drivers are set for ASIO. I can play along with BIAB using Amplitube no problem, but when I bring up the VU meters on BIAB, nothing shows. I'll have to mess with it some more, try it w/o Amplitube running, etc. I can't believe there isn't something I can simply use to just record all sounds in Windows...but ASIO really messes with that.

Realband: yes, I can use it with RB but I really don't like RB, and if I wanted to really record with any quality, then I'd simply use Reaper instead. I just want to be able to make quick recordings to either share with a forum post or a quick critical listen.

User Info Menu

Another option is that if you have BIAB 2019 (the latest) there is now a vst plugin that you can host in your DAW and pretty much works just like you would expect BIAB to function. I have used it and it is pretty cool (although sometimes a bit clunky). I am using it in Reaper successfully.

I have found this to be so much easier than the exporting method you mentioned in your original post. Plus you can watch the changes as you also mentioned wanting to do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasonmi3 View Post
    Another option is that if you have BIAB 2019 (the latest) there is now a vst plugin that you can host in your DAW and pretty much works just like you would expect BIAB to function. I have used it and it is pretty cool (although sometimes a bit clunky). I am using it in Reaper successfully.

I have found this to be so much easier than the exporting method you mentioned in your original post. Plus you can watch the changes as you also mentioned wanting to do.
    I don't have 2019 unfortunately. I've seen the VST option and it looks good, but I'm not ready to spring for the upgrade.