The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

This
    Last edited by guitarbuddy; 06-05-2019 at 07:00 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

iGig generally needs your pdfs to be named exactly what it expects. So the "old" RealBook vol. 1 is crealbk1.pdf. If you name it anything else at all, iGig won't find it. I also find the page offset feature not always accurate. That typically is due to the way the specific fake book was scanned in the first place. We often are at the mercy of whoever scanned the copy we got, and maybe a couple pages stuck together going through the scanner, or the person left off the title page, or some such vagaries. I have found iGig worth the trouble, but it is definitely not the most intuitive app I ever used by a long shot.

User Info Menu

This probably isn't super helpful, but, for iOS, I use forScore on my iPad and it's great. Anytime anyone shares PDFs of charts in dropbox, I import them into forScore and tag them appropriately. I don't use a foot pedal page turner myself, but have many friends who do, and it works great for them. I also recently got a chance to write for a 4 part vocal group, and, all the singers used forScore on their iPads, no paper.

Having written a lot for big band the past couple of years, I can't wait until everyone moves over to tablets for sheet music. Printing for a big band is just awful.

User Info Menu

I know less than nothing about iThingies, so I may be offering useless advice, but I like Fakebook Pro for viewing .pdf charts. It takes any .pdf file, and will separate pages automatically. It's the best I've found for this, but I don't know if it runs on anything from Apple. I've imported complete fakebooks, scanned pages and collections of stuff, all without issues, and it lets me change the filename and the name of the book upon import.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbuddy
    forScore is better for your own charts, while iGigbook is better for established fakebooks because of the in app indexing.
    That's been my experience.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbuddy
    Actually I know two guys here in Louisville who use both. From what they tell me forScore is better for your own charts, while iGigbook is better for established fakebooks because of the in app indexing. I may look at forScore, then, and thanks for the tip.
    I'm sure that's probably true for fake books, as I don't think it would do anything special in terms of indexing. I've only used forScore for PDF charts. You can also mark up charts with the pencil which is a really nice feature (writing in dynamics or cues and such).

User Info Menu

I've recently gone from paper to
    ipad with forescore
    I'm loving it so far !
    but I'm by no means a power user

But its so great not to have to use paper so much

On forescore most of my realbooks indexed fine for the search function
    a few needed tweaking a bit (you tube video tutorial)
    and a couple just wouldn't index right and are a few pages out
    not the end of the world by any means

a slight learning curve but
    The advantages VASTLY out weigh any hassles associated .....

never used Gigbook
    I was recomended forescore by a friend who is a pro Jazzer in the UK
    he said "get Forescore its what we all use"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcsanwald
    This probably isn't super helpful, but, for iOS, I use forScore on my iPad and it's great. Anytime anyone shares PDFs of charts in dropbox, I import them into forScore and tag them appropriately. I don't use a foot pedal page turner myself, but have many friends who do, and it works great for them. I also recently got a chance to write for a 4 part vocal group, and, all the singers used forScore on their iPads, no paper.

Having written a lot for big band the past couple of years, I can't wait until everyone moves over to tablets for sheet music. Printing for a big band is just awful.
    A music professor friend of mine died unexpectedly last year. 170 of her colleagues, students, and music professionals formed a choir to sing for her funeral service.

All of the music was distributed as .pdfs for home learning, but photocopies were made for the service. They didn’t anticipate such an outpouring of support in the choir, so they came up short.

I was the only person who had .pdf copies saved on my 12.9” iPad Pro. forScore is a great app, and using the Apple Pencil, it allowed me to index and markup the music with rehearsal and performance cues for the service.

I also happen to keep my Fake and Real books in forScore for that very same reason.

User Info Menu

I used an Android tablet for a long time, but it got old like me, and now I'm using a Chromebook (Pixelbook to be precise) for pretty much everything, it's my daily driver. It runs ChromeOS, Android, and Linux apps very well. It has a touchscreen, and for use on a music stand it folds 360 degrees, disables the keyboard, and is less than 1/2" thick. I run both iRealPro and Fakebook Pro on it, and it has a default .pdf reader for files I haven't imported into one of those. Works for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    iGig generally needs your pdfs to be named exactly what it expects. So the "old" RealBook vol. 1 is crealbk1.pdf. If you name it anything else at all, iGig won't find it. I also find the page offset feature not always accurate. That typically is due to the way the specific fake book was scanned in the first place. We often are at the mercy of whoever scanned the copy we got, and maybe a couple pages stuck together going through the scanner, or the person left off the title page, or some such vagaries. I have found iGig worth the trouble, but it is definitely not the most intuitive app I ever used by a long shot.
    Some of this information may have been true with the early versions of the app but are not true today. Linking a PDF to an index is a simple process where you press and hold the name of the PDF in My Scores and then select the index to link it to from a list. Offsets are only accurate if you supply the correct number and the PDF you have has all of the pages present. If you're missing pages or the pages are in the wrong order it no longer reflects the actual book. We've also made this process very easy, you simple enter the page number present on the sheet music you are looking at and the offset is calculated for you.

User Info Menu

So completely dumb question here ... I already have pdf versions of the old illegal RealBooks (5th Edition, and Volume II) on an android tablet; right now, I scroll through the whole thing and/or jump to page number + (guessed) offset to get to a tune. If I install FakeBook on the tablet (iGigbook is only for Apple, right?), I can open my RealBook pdf with it, and it will automatically index the pages and create a table of contents with links to the tunes? If so, holy mackerel!

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    So completely dumb question here ... I already have pdf versions of the old illegal RealBooks (5th Edition, and Volume II) on an android tablet; right now, I scroll through the whole thing and/or jump to page number + (guessed) offset to get to a tune. If I install FakeBook on the tablet (iGigbook is only for Apple, right?), I can open my RealBook pdf with it, and it will automatically index the pages and create a table of contents with links to the tunes? If so, holy mackerel!

John
    iGigBook is available for both iPads and Android Tablets. The app has an index for the two books that you mentioned which allows you to type in the name of a tune and see all versions from all the Real Books or Fake Books you have added to the app. You just select the song title and it displays the correct page.

User Info Menu

IGigBook is great on my iPad. I use it to load up real book PDFs into a set list to create a set for which I use for jamming.

The nice thing is that if you load a MP3 backing track, say BIAB created, into iTunes you can then play the backing track while viewing the sheet music..great for practice.

Now being able to run two apps at once with iPad Pro, I can travel and still practice...run a guitar through an interface and then via audio app e.g. GarageBand ( I use Cubasis) and iGig and presto...travel rig for practice..