The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Not sure exactly where this should go. I’ve used Apple Music since it came out but recently found that Spotify had something I was looking for that wasn’t on Apple Music. I don’t want to subscribe to both so I was wondering, before my free month of Spotify is up if any of you have any input about which has more jazz guitar recordings you like and which has more new releases as they come out. I imagine they are largely the same but I am seeing advantages to both. Apple Music has more as a total number but that is largely not jazz so I’m not too concerned about those numbers. If I were to stick with it longer it might be easier to tell based on which has new recordings as they come out but that would take me beyond the trial month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Google Music, in my somewhat limited experience. I don't like Spotify at all, and I have no experience at all with Apple. Google Music has lots more jazz guitar music than I know about, certainly all that I care about. I have my entire collection uploaded there, and when I ask for new music, I generally get what I prefer. YMMV.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    Not sure exactly where this should go. I’ve used Apple Music since it came out but recently found that Spotify had something I was looking for that wasn’t on Apple Music. I don’t want to subscribe to both so I was wondering, before my free month of Spotify is up if any of you have any input about which has more jazz guitar recordings you like and which has more new releases as they come out. I imagine they are largely the same but I am seeing advantages to both. Apple Music has more as a total number but that is largely not jazz so I’m not too concerned about those numbers. If I were to stick with it longer it might be easier to tell based on which has new recordings as they come out but that would take me beyond the trial month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I switched to Spotify premium and am finding tons of stuff I dig. I'm generally a luddite curmudgeon who bitches and moans about having to get stuff online that I used to be able to get around the corner, but I have to admit Spotify is pretty darn terrific.

John

User Info Menu

I switched to Tidal...it's higher quality than Spotify, they pay artists more, and they are better about providing album info like who is playing on recordings (which is helpful if you want to find other albums that an artist played on as a sideman.)
    There's a lot of jazz guitar on Tidal.

User Info Menu

I like the Jazz Guitar channel of JazzRadio.com.

User Info Menu

Spotify is very convenient and I enjoy the ability to dial up a guitarist I have never heard of and listen to a full album without laying out the full price of an Apple download. I can go back and listen to the tunes of my youth (usually just once is enough) and not have to commit to anything beyond my $10 a month. Spotify has enough jazz guitar content to keep you busy although its jazz guitar catalogue may not be as rich as that on iTunes though. Of course, I am pretty certain artists are receiving very little from Spotify (or iTunes for that matter) so the downward trend for artists continues.

User Info Menu

i love spotify.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mccolalx
    I switched to Tidal...it's higher quality than Spotify, they pay artists more, and they are better about providing album info like who is playing on recordings (which is helpful if you want to find other albums that an artist played on as a sideman.)
    There's a lot of jazz guitar on Tidal.
    I looked at the Tidal website and it was interesting- no where could I find information as to what it actually costs once the 30 day trial is up. I don't care for companies that are not upfront with their pricing and so I didn't sign up. Do you know what the prices are for the various levels of service?

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I looked at the Tidal website and it was interesting- no where could I find information as to what it actually costs once the 30 day trial is up. I don't care for companies that are not upfront with their pricing and so I didn't sign up. Do you know what the prices are for the various levels of service?
    Subscription Types
    Premium - $9.99 USD a month with standard sound quality, high definition music videos and expertly curated editorial. (prices vary depending on geography and local currency)

HiFi - $19.99 USD a month with lossless High Fidelity sound quality, high definition music videos, expertly curated editorial. (prices vary depending on geography and local currency)

Family Premium - $14.99 USD a month including up to 5 additional family members totaling 6 on the account. Standard sound quality, high definition music videos, expertly curated editorial (prices vary depending on geography and local currency)

Family HiFi - $29.99 USD a month including up to 5 additional family members totaling 6 on the account. Lossless High Fidelity sound quality, high definition music videos, expertly curated editorial (prices vary depending on geography and local currency)

Student Premium - $4.99 USD a month, must be able to confirm eligibility, you will need to reverify eligibility every 12 months. (Not available in all geographies)

Student HiFi - $9.99 USD a month, must be able to confirm eligibility, you will need to reverify eligibility every 12 months. (Not available in all geographies)

Military Premium - $5.99 USD a month, must be able to confirm eligibility (Not available in all geographies)

Military HiFi - $11.99 USD a month, must be able to confirm eligibility (Not available in all geographies)

Subscription Types – TIDAL

User Info Menu

I actually use Amazon Music Unlimited. I think it's about the same price as Spotify. It's 7.99/month for Prime members and 9.99 a month for those who aren't already Prime members.

I dig it. And there was an Emily Remler album on there that I couldn't stream or purchase on Apple Music/iTunes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I like the Jazz Guitar channel of JazzRadio.com.

Thanks for the "heads up". Great jazz guitar channel.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

You can find pretty much everyone on Spotify

User Info Menu

Spotify

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I am a new Tidal user and certainly don't recall having a problem figuring out pricing. But here is their official pricing info.

Subscription Types – TIDAL

dave

User Info Menu

If you live in Europe then also check out Quobuz, a French streaming company. Their streaming quality is higher than any of the other ones and they are specialized in jazz and classical music. It doesn't mean that they have everything. The best would be to have them all!