User Info Menu

I need some help with this.

Consider this gear:
    -Sound interface: Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    -Amp: DV Mark Little Jazz
    -Pedal: Behringer Graphic Equaliser EQ700
    -DAW: Reaper or Presonus Studio One version 3
    -Camera: Zoom Q2n

The idea is to override the camera mics and feed the sound from the soundcard or PC (so it has the same tonal quality as when I'm playing and listening on my headphones). I also would like to play a jamtrack on the PC and play over it, so the camera is fed both the audio track and the signal from the guitar, but I'm in a mess about how to go about it.

The Zoom Q2n has one USB, HDMI and Ext In ports.

Please any advice? Thanks!
    ================================================== ================
    It's better to play one thing for 24 hours than 24 things in one hour. -- Bill Evans

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I use something different so this may or may not help you.

I use Cubase as my DAW, iPhone as my camera, and Cyberlink Power Director as the video movie maker tool thing.

I record with the iPhone and DAW (with or without a backing track) simultaneously.

Then I export and upload the files from both the iPhone and DAW into Power Director. Once there I simply align the two tracks visually, cancel the iPhone sound track, and use the sound track from the DAW (obviously).

Aligning the tracks visually is easy if you make a big sound at the beginning of the recording, like a loud chord. Then wait a second or two, then start playing. The big chord shows a large signal on the tracks and you align accordingly. Once you verify that the video and audio are in sync you trim off the start of the tracks, and of course the end of the tracks depending on how/where you ended.

Then you "produce" and export your "movie".
    Last edited by Jazzstdnt; 05-10-2019 at 02:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt View Post
    I use something different so this may or may not help you.

I use Cubase as my DAW, iPhone as my camera, and Cyberlink Power Director as the video movie maker tool thing.

I record with the iPhone and DAW (with or without a backing track) simultaneously.

Then I export and upload the files from both the iPhone and DAW into Power Director. Once there I simply align the two tracks visually, cancel the iPhone sound track, and use the sound track from the DAW (obviously).

Aligning the tracks visually is easy if you make a big sound at the beginning of the recording, like a loud chord. Then wait a second or two, then start playing. The big chord shows a large signal on the tracks and you align accordingly. Once you verify that the video and audio are in sync you trim off the start of the tracks, and of course the end of the tracks depending on how/where you ended.

Then you "produce" and export your "movie".
    + 1

That's how I do it, too (on a Mac with GarageBand and iMovie). If you want to save the step of editing/synching audio and video, you could also just take the audio out directly from your interface or PC headphone output and plug that into the Zoom Q2n's external audio input. If want to include both the jam track and your guitar amp's sound, you would need to mic the guitar amp into the DAW and mix it with the jam track. You would also need an adaptor to go from the the interface's line out to the 3.5mm stereo plug the camera uses (or a double-male 3.5mm cable to go from the computer's headphone jack to the zoom). [FWIW, I usually use an amp simulator plug-in in my DAW rather than mic an amp; it's not easy to get a good mic'ed amp sound.]

Whether it's worth going to all this trouble depends on how high quality a final product you're looking for. You could just play back your jam tracks through speakers (if you have decent ones), play along through your amp, and use the Zoom's mic's to pick up the combined sound in the air. That might be good enough for your purposes and a lot simpler.

John

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I know that you can record the sound separately and then mix it with the video, but it's too much hassle imo if you plan to record frequently.

I'm also trying to avoid picking up ambience sound and I like the tone that comes out of the headphones (different from the one that comes out of the amp), so this is the tone I'm trying to capture when recording.

I think I'll use John's idea to connect the sound interface's line out to the zoom's line in port with a 3.5 mm cable, so will try something like this:

from guitar to pedal
    from pedal to interface
    from interface to pc for video editor via usb
    also from interface's line out to zoom's line in to override the internal mics
    and then to record from the video editor using the zoom as a webcam (the zoom has a function for this, nifty little thing!)

i think that the video editor would capture any sound that comes out of pc, that is the jamtrack and the guitar at the same time, I just hope that there is no delay or latency involved.

This also means that there is no need for daw, unless you want to tweak the sound file later (not my case).

Thanks again for the input!
    It's better to play one thing for 24 hours than 24 things in one hour. -- Bill Evans

User Info Menu

One way I've done this is to plug the backing track into one of the PreSonus inputs, then the direct line out of the amp (DV Mark Micro 50 Head XLR) into the other. I monitor with headphones. The USB output of the PreSonus goes into the Lightening input of my iPhone.

My most typical set up uses the leisure of two amps. I run the backing track through the Aux Input of the DV Mark, and from that to the PreSonus. I then play my guitar through a Princeton Reverb Re-Issue and mic the cab with a Shure SM57 going into the other channel of the PreSonus, USB out to the iPhone. I also sometimes use a Polytone with a Pre-amp out, or another tube amp I have with an effects send that makes a good direct line out. These I like because I hate monitoring with headphones, and I can hear the sound through the speakers.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Update. After a few hours of trial and error, I've figured it out...

Guitar goes to EQ pedal (this is the only pedal I use)
    EQ pedal goes to sound interface (I use Presonus AudioBox iTwo)
    (Obviously) Sound interface goes to PC via USB
    Headphones for direct monitoring come out of the Presonus (headphones jack)

Then...

A webcam (I'm using a Logitech) goes to one of the USB ports in the PC

Then...

The magic ingredient, I had to do my research for this...

Googling for webcam recording software, I stumbled upon a nifty one called Filmora. Nice design, functionality and low price.

It allows me to record the camera, the guitar and the jamtrack simultaneously by mixing on-the-fly the audio recording with the system sound, in this case anything that passes through the Presonus.

The quality of the audio is very good, and it allows you to mix to mono too, which boosts the whole thing. The quality of the video depends on the resolution of the webcam. The one I have is 720 fps and does a decent job, maybe I'll upgrade to 1080 fps later.

To note, no need to mess about with daws or amps, just capturing the system's sound at the same time as the video with the Filmora application. Cool!

If anything, I'm considering to get myself a guitar pre-amp (ART Tube MP Studio V3, wait for me, baby) to place in between the guitar and the EQ pedal to boost the guitar signal and tweak the tone, but as it is now I'm quite pleased already.
    Last edited by Torito; 05-12-2019 at 03:19 AM.

User Info Menu

I would like to echo what Torito said regarding Filmora (Wondershare). Mostly for my own use and sharing with a few close friends I will record some solo classical guitar stuff. I use an external USB mic (Blue Yeti) and let my Dell Webcam software do the audio (from the Blue Yeti) and video capture. When I load this .wmv file into Audacity for whatever audio tweaks I want done, it automatically strips out all but the audio. I don't do an clipping or trimming, make relevant audio adjustments, export the audio as a .wav file, and load both the original .wmv and the new .wav file into Filmora. And I delete the audio from the .wmv file.   If I simply 'left adjust' both files they generally end up well synced, although (oddly) the video file usually has a slightly longer timeline. I always start with one loud clap of the hands in case more syncing us required.

Then whatever cutting/trimming/etc is required is done in Filmora. I ended up buying a copy of Filmora even though the free version probably does all that I need (it does put out a Watermark that the paid version does not). But my requirements are about as simple as it gets.

dave
    Gibson ES-175D
    Eastman AR905CD-BD
    Jesus Marzal Classical (Cedar)
    Ashley Sanders Classical (Spruce)
    Garcia Classical (mostly used as wall art)
    Yamaha SLG200NW Nylon-Electric