The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Hello,
    Although being a new member, not new to fora, so I did some searching already. Hope I do not offend anybody by mislooking the following question.

I'm a bit of a computerfobic, but I do use my Mac frequently with Band in a Box and Finale. But only so little because I usually just can't figure out how to get what I want. The simple stuff, yes (simple note-editing and simple Band in a Box accompanying), but the more demanding stuff, alas, no.

Now here's the question: I am looking for a very simple jazz chord notation program. To be more specific, if you look at YouTube:
    you see the kind of notation I'm looking for. I has to be simple. I know that there is some way of getting these results in Finale, but I haven't a clue. And it's just for making my own personal fakebook on gigs...

Anybody? Help is very much appreciated.

Greetings, Herman

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Band In A Box for Mac allows you to create Chord Diagrams, but it doesn't seem to allow you to print them, and the program itself is pretty complex.

iRealPro, available for Mac and IOS, is much simpler to use and does allow the diagrams to be easily printed.

User Info Menu

IReal lets you type in any chord you want. C7b5b913? Sure. But it doesn’t have a way of doing fingering diagrams or grids, if that’s what you are looking for. Not sure what program might do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Yeah, strange indeed. So many options for ‘normal’ notation. But not these things. Ireal, I have. Has so much limitations though. Can’t even do more than A B C D. But E is not an option???? well, I will have to make due with it.
    thanks for the answers people.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Geitekaas
    Yeah, strange indeed. So many options for ‘normal’ notation. But not these things. Ireal, I have. Has so much limitations though. Can’t even do more than A B C D. But E is not an option???? well, I will have to make due with it.
    thanks for the answers people.
    I am not sure I understand. Are you saying you don’t think you can enter an “E” chord in iReal? You certainly can. If you are unable to notate an “E” chord there is something wrong with your installation or the way you are trying to enter the chord symbol. Perhaps reinstall it?

There is nothing on that YouTube video that iReal can’t do, and fairly easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Oh, no. My mistake. I meant E as in part. It only goes to D. So not an E chord. Sometimes, in musettes e.g. one needs more than 4 different parts.
    iReal solves the problem a bit in the example by adding a different E. But it’s just one of many shortcomings....
    But, no, not the chords. Sorry for the confusion...
    Attached Images Attached Images Jazz chords specific software for Mac advice needed-33495b19-0025-4abb-8b4f-774d1325d5d3-jpg 

User Info Menu

And I don’t like the lines as separations. I want the squares.
    well, any way. It is not a big deal.

User Info Menu

The lines as separations are measures...sheet music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Geitekaas
    And I don’t like the lines as separations. I want the squares.
    well, any way. It is not a big deal.
    You want it to look like the ‘gypsy grilles’ charts. There’s a discussion here about it.

Grilles - DjangoBooks Forum

User Info Menu

Ah...I had never seen "Gypsy" grilles before. It does look like the OP is trying to craft charts that way.

User Info Menu