Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    So I'm finally back to playing a bit after 5 weeks of rest. This week my amp modeller died on me and I recorded a track with only my preamp and I was stunned at how good it sounds. What you hear in the vid is the sound of the guitar through the preamp with just a little reverb added in post production.

    For the guys in a hurry here's the vid with some info added in it. Best play it through a hifi set to get an idea.



    For those wanting to know the rest of the signal chain here's my latest Blog entry on direct recording:

    Dutchbopper's Jazz Guitar Blog: Art Tube MP Studio V3

    Regards,

    DB

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Sounds good Dick. I do a lot of my recording with my 175 plugged straight into my digital recorder, like you just adding some reverb afterwards. Using any other method doesn’t seem to add much.

    Maybe this is something that Gibson archtops are particularly good at?

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    Maybe this is something that Gibson archtops are particularly good at?
    That may well be the case Graham. All my Gibsons sound fine with direct recording. Maybe it's a laminate thing ...

    DB

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog View Post
    So I'm finally back to playing a bit after 5 weeks of rest. This week my amp modeller died on me and I recorded a track with only my preamp and I was stunned at how good it sounds. What you hear in the vid is the sound of the guitar through the preamp with just a little reverb added in post production.

    For the guys in a hurry here's the vid with some info added in it. Best play it through a hifi set to get an idea.



    For those wanting to know the rest of the signal chain here's my latest Blog entry on direct recording:

    Dutchbopper's Jazz Guitar Blog: Art Tube MP Studio V3

    Regards,

    DB
    I agree that direct works better than to mic'ing an amp in a home studio (though I greatly prefer playing through an amp). I'm curious -- why do you use a mixer as well as an audio interface? Why not just do directly from the Tube MP to the interface?

    John

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    Sounds good Dick. I do a lot of my recording with my 175 plugged straight into my digital recorder, like you just adding some reverb afterwards. Using any other method doesn’t seem to add much.

    Maybe this is something that Gibson archtops are particularly good at?
    Yep thirded. ES175 through a PA works.

    Joe Pass’s touring set up iirc.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    I use old M-audio audio interfaces - a Delta 44 and a Delta 1010. Both are twenty years old and work perfectly. Since neither of them have built in mic preamps - line-level inputs only! - I have to use an external preamp. And the one I use is the ART Tube MP Studio V3. And it sounds great! Both on mic and direct-in electric. Not having to spend a lot of money on an interface is great.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by John A. View Post
    I agree that direct works better than to mic'ing an amp in a home studio (though I greatly prefer playing through an amp). I'm curious -- why do you use a mixer as well as an audio interface? Why not just do directly from the Tube MP to the interface?
    John
    Good question John. It made me think. I think I used it because ... errrr ... I had it?

    I unplugged the mixer and I plugged in several guitars directly into the Focusrite and .... the sound was WAY better than through the mixer on all of them Pfffff ... this renders yesterday's Blog post completely obsolete. The Focusrite and the valve preamp are more than enough. The mixer is totally unnecessary and even detrimental to the sound. Thanks man!!!!

    DB

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog View Post
    Good question John. It made me think. I think I used it because ... errrr ... I had it?

    I unplugged the mixer and I plugged in several guitars directly into the Focusrite and .... the sound was WAY better than through the mixer on all of them Pfffff ... this renders yesterday's Blog post completely obsolete. The Focusrite and the valve preamp are more than enough. The mixer is totally unnecessary and even detrimental to the sound. Thanks man!!!!

    DB
    Cool! Now all you need to do is go back and redo all your previous videos with better sound!

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Well I’ve got one of these jobbers lying around in storage. Will dig it out and give it a try.

    Using the tech 21 FlyRig atm, very good imo

    Always felt there were too many options on the ART and I didn’t know what any of them did....

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog View Post
    Good question John. It made me think. I think I used it because ... errrr ... I had it?

    I unplugged the mixer and I plugged in several guitars directly into the Focusrite and .... the sound was WAY better than through the mixer on all of them Pfffff ... this renders yesterday's Blog post completely obsolete. The Focusrite and the valve preamp are more than enough. The mixer is totally unnecessary and even detrimental to the sound. Thanks man!!!!

    DB
    Ha! Happy to be of service.

    John

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    the ART Project series Dual tube Pre is a great tool as well, with optical compression available.