The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23
    I'm trying to decide which way to go for a DAW. I'd appreciate any feed back at all.
    Thank you.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Fwiw, I’ve been recording for like 20 years now, from 4 track to adats to Cubase, Pro tools, DP, Radar, etc...

Logic x is just so damn good for actually making music, I can’t conceive of an argument to not go with it. That and a decent apogee interface, and you can turn out some excellent results.

Check out their drummer feature, that alone should make you seriously consider it. Let’s say you want to cover a song. You simply enter the parts into the arrangement track (into,verse,chorus,verse,chorus,outro) and click create drummer. Boom, there’s drums for the whole song, fills, cymbal changes, everything. A real time saver. From there you can tweak all you want, or not.

it also comes with a good selection of decent sounding instruments, as well as useful loops.

Well worth the money imo.

good luck

User Info Menu

Ps, don’t use usb interface with new macs. There are some issues you’ll want to look into.

Thank you. I'd heard there were issues with the new Mac Book Pros. I didnt know what they were.
    That's the reason for my question.

Thank you.

User Info Menu

Long time Mac user here. I would highly recommend one and Logic Pro X as well as many other free or cheap audio apps and plugins. New MacBooks use USB C and I hate not being able to connect my work computer to almost anything without an adapter. This might be related to these rumored issues with usb interfaces, but I can’t imagine an interface vendor not addressing this. I like Focusrite best. Drop them an email if you are concerned.

Thank you Deke. I appreciate your time and response.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Montgomery
    Thank you Deke. I appreciate your time and response.
    No problem! I was lazy and just googled. Plenty of people say you can just use a cheap USB adapter to hook up a USB C mac to any audio/midi interface. PC or Mac, like I said I do like Focusrite interfaces. I started with a Steinberg and while it was fine, I noticed a definite increase in audio quality (guitars and mics) with the Focusrite. It is pretty amazing what you can do with a computer these days and music. The old idea of a computer being any other machine is certainly true when it comes to music. Have fun!

User Info Menu

Windows, Cubase, PreSonus fan for over a decade until about 5 years ago. Now it’s iPad, Focusrite or IK, and a myriad of inexpensive good apps that I string together as needed. Very much a modular approach to a DAW.

Thank you Ted.

User Info Menu

IMO, there is no point going usb for your interface. If you’re going Mac, get a thunderbolt interface. You will not regret getting a professional level interface (I recommend the apogee element series). Great conversion, low latency, stable drivers.

if you cheap out here, you will run into headaches.

Thank you Vintagelove.

User Info Menu

I bought a used Mid-2012 MB Pro for ~$860. 16 MB RAM, 256 Solid State drive, i7.

If you buy a new Mac, you must buy the configuration you want; they are not upgradable anymore.
    I highly recommend the specs above as minimum.

Logic Pro X is an INCREDIBLE deal and has everything you need. Even Garageband (Free) is adequate for most people.

Thank you

User Info Menu

I think you need to consider at least these 3 things in concert:

1. Platform (i.e. Mac or PC)
    2. DAW software
    3. Audio interface

It's the combinations of features and price points that will ultimately factor into your decision.

User Info Menu

Another direction to consider is to simply buy a stand alone Tascam or Zoom 8-track recorder. Nice ones are out there for $300. With these dedicated units you do not have the hassle of reconfiguring the inputs every time the OS updates. Turn one of the on and they work every time. I lost a lot of recording time fiddling with DAW’s. YMMV

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    I think you need to consider at least these 3 things in concert:

1. Platform (i.e. Mac or PC)
    2. DAW software
    3. Audio interface

It's the combinations of features and price points that will ultimately factor into your decision.

Yes, and a quality microphone!

Another thing, you may well need lots of CPU power for mixing and mastering, especially on multiple tracks.

User Info Menu

Macs are shite now, but can't seem to give them up.

User Info Menu

I've used both macs and PC's. I only use PC's now. Enough said.

Must admit though I use a Apple wireless router. I've spent more on apple products than music gear. Paying more for a phone than a guitar, oh the humanity. The thing is almost all of the Apple stuff I bought is obsolete and I still have and use almost all of the music gear I bought.

Apple, "We may not have the functionality of PC's but at least we are more expensive".
    Last edited by fep; 10-30-2019 at 07:37 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm trying to decide which way to go for a DAW. I'd appreciate any feed back at all.
    Thank you.
    My advice is to decide which daw application is best for you. There is a significant learning curve. Great results can be had on either platform.
    Find the daw that makes sense to you, and then think about the hardware.

User Info Menu

Cakewalk is free, it is awesome and has no limits as a DAW...and it only runs on a Windows PC.

User Info Menu

Thank you.
    A lot depends on what you want to do, and what software you want to use. For instance, if you want to use Logic, it only runs on Mac. FWIW, I use GarageBand on a 13" Macbook Air with 8 GB of RAM. Mine is a couple of years old, when they still had a USB-A port, and I use a PreSonus Audiobox USB interface. It works fine, even with lots of plug-ins loaded and other software running on the machine. I absolutely detest the Win10 user interface (there two Win10 laptops in the family, so it's not a matter of lack of familiarity). So the choice for me is clear.

John

User Info Menu

Another Logic Pro / Macbook user here. My Macbook Pro from 2012 has lesser specs, but does recording endlessly better than my brand new windows computer. I don't know how. When I run Keyscape on the windows PC, I get so much drop-out, latency, and RAM overload... Rarely an issue with the nearly 8 year old Macbook. Plus, Logic really is the most intuitive DAW I've ever tried personally! I actually bought the macbook only to run logic after using it in the studios I currently have access to.