The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

I've been using MuseScore for a long time now to create chord sheets but I see chord sheets on the web that are much easier to read especially from a distance that look like this:

Creating chord sheets-jazz-studies-example-i-got-rhythm-jpg

Can anybody tell me how to create these? Is there a software available?

Thanks
    Tom

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That example may have been done with the IReal pro app, the font and display looks just like that and it lets you enter your own chord progressions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    That example may have been done with the IReal pro app, the font and display looks just like that and it lets you enter your own chord progressions.
    Thanks. Since I don't have an iphone/smartphone (old fashioned guy here...) I'm looking for something I can use on my computer...

User Info Menu

They suggest using an emulator for that:

Windows | iReal Pro

User Info Menu

You need to install the correct font. I don't know what the name of the font would be in Windows, because I haven't used that OS in years. in iRealPro it's called Handwriting. There is a font available called Jazz, that from a cursory glance looks like what you might want, but I've never used it. Google will find it for you.

User Info Menu

They suggest using an emulator for that:

Windows | iReal Pro
    Thanks - I'll keep that in mind but iRealPro is quite recent isn't it and I have been seeing this layout (as above) for a couple of years now so there must be some other option...

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    You need to install the correct font. I don't know what the name of the font would be in Windows, because I haven't used that OS in years. in iRealPro it's called Handwriting. There is a font available called Jazz, that from a cursory glance looks like what you might want, but I've never used it. Google will find it for you.
    It's not about the font (which I have) - it's about the layout of this type of chord sheet - very easy to read and lucid.

User Info Menu

I think irealpro has been around for at least 5 years.

User Info Menu

Yes I got it on my iPad at least 2 years ago.

User Info Menu

For comparison here’s the standard iReal Pro chart for I Got Rhythm. You can change the minor symbol to ‘-‘ so if I did that it would look almost identical to your example.

Creating chord sheets-c1b7964b-4a96-48eb-845f-1721c5696cc0-jpg

User Info Menu

I like that font too.

As for iReal Pro for Windows with an Emulator, I tried that a couple years ago and it was a great disappointment. (Things may have improved since then.) I have a smartphone now and iRealPro on it, which is good, though I rarely use it. Happy to have it for when I want it, of course.

But I do love that font. It is easy to read. And at 60, ease of reading a chart on a music stand is a big deal. Using pencil and manuscript paper---which I still do----is good but hard to read later. (For me, anyway.) Sometimes I write it out in pencil and write over the changes in a Sharpie. Getting old...

User Info Menu

I guess it's what one gets used to, and preference, because I prefer a standard sans serif font. That's easier for me to read. But the jazz font is what you see in lots of fake books, especially the Real Book, so lots of people are used to it and like it.

I use iRealPro on my chromebook, which also runs Android apps. I also have it on my phone, but I don't use it there unless I get caught somewhere and need a chord chart and only have my phone, which isn't often. The phone is too small and input is painful. But on the chromebook it's a great app, and prints chord charts easily. You can export any song as either a .pdf or in iReal format for printing or just reading.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by invisible pink unicorn
    Yes - thank you. I came across this in my search and will probably use it if I don't find any other means of doing it offline.

User Info Menu

One can use Band-in-a-Box to print chord sheets which look like the one displayed here above.

A number of appropriate preference options need be correctly set, but the complex ad-hoc menu system doesn't make it easy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mhch
    One can use Band-in-a-Box to print chord sheets which look like the one displayed here above.

A number of appropriate preference options need be correctly set, but the complex ad-hoc menu system doesn't make it easy
    Thanks for the tip. In my experience with BiaB the program has some problems with repeats/separate endings, though...

Muse score also has a jazz font, if you're doing something with notation etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I think irealpro has been around for at least 5 years.

Yes I got it on my iPad at least 2 years ago.

I’ve been using iRealPro for at least 2 or 3 years. The forum for that program has thousands of chord charts and I’ve found it really helpful to discover variations on songs. And being able to set the band in a box to play along had been great for practicing.

User Info Menu

Another cool thing I've been doing recently with iReal Pro is to switch it to the 'number notation' option (in the settings - Fonts menu).

This shows all the charts in numeric interval form rather than chord names. Using this is a good way to start recognizing common progressions occurring in lots of different tunes, instead of just seeing a load of different chord names on the screen. Not something I've paid much attention to before, but I recently downloaded a Bruce Forman video about learning tunes and it got me thinking I need to do this!

User Info Menu

Here’s an example:

Creating chord sheets-7ca3eb56-dfe7-4c0a-9cce-caac56da33c4-jpg

User Info Menu

Another cool thing I've been doing recently with iReal Pro is to switch it to the 'number notation' option (in the settings - Fonts menu).

This shows all the charts in numeric interval form rather than chord names. Using this is a good way to start recognizing common progressions occurring in lots of different tunes, instead of just seeing a load of different chord names on the screen. Not something I've paid much attention to before, but I recently downloaded a Bruce Forman video about learning tunes and it got me thinking I need to do this!
    Cool!!! thanks

User Info Menu

Please further my education? What do the delta and the null mean? Dim and aug?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    Please further my education? What do the delta and the null mean? Dim and aug?
    Chord symbols with names and intervals | Guitarchordspedia.com

User Info Menu

Thank you.

User Info Menu

I’ve used iReal Pro daily since 2011. If I didn’t already have an Andriod or Apple tablet I’d buy one just to be able to use iReal. It doesn’t require much memory or processing speed, so the cheapest tablets should work. If I need to get a chart from my tablet to a PC or another person, I’ll usually just make a screen print and transfer it via email or a cloud service.

User Info Menu

I run iRealPro on my chromebook. For transferring songs, I usually use the share function and export them as .pdf documents, which can be printed anywhere. You can also transfer them in iRealPro format, if the receiver has it. I do that for transferring songs between my chromebook and phone. I prefer using the chromebook because it's easier to enter songs using a real keyboard, but I like to keep songs on my phone also, because I don't often have my chromebook handy away from home, unless I specifically need to take it.