The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

One of the struggles I have is keeping track of everything I want to learn. Not just tunes, but licks, solos, etc.

Is there any such app that anyone knows about that helps keep track one's own repertoire, vocabulary, etc?

If not, I'm thinking about creating an app for just this purpose. (I dabble in programming). Thanks for any ideas!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A notebook and pencil, or MS Word and Excel.

The more you code, the less you'll play the guitar. The mastery goal is to have as much of it in your head and hands as possible, with minimal notes.

You may get sidetracked here, unless your real goal is apps vs. jazz guitar facility.

User Info Menu

I understand that. If I had a reason to believe it could help others, I'd do it. I thought about trying to combine it into some sort of a vocabulary/repertoire progress tracker, and a practice planner that would lay out a schedule based on what your goals were.

I also understand it may be overkill, and don't know how many guitarists would actually use it. Just throwing the idea out there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    A notebook and pencil, or MS Word and Excel.

The more you code, the less you'll play the guitar. The mastery goal is to have as much of it in your head and hands as possible, with minimal notes.

You may get sidetracked here, unless your real goal is apps vs. jazz guitar facility.
    I spent seven months on one app, had no time to play at all. But on the other hand, ill use it forever

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L21 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Modacity is pretty great for this

User Info Menu

I'm going to also chime in for pencil and paper, music paper for those ideas. Simple, foolproof,and you'll be getting better at writing music notation, if that's of any interest to you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcsanwald
    Modacity is pretty great for this
    This is news to me, thanks!

Very cool. Look at "streaks" elements as options for tasks as well. This is something is really big with kids nowadays , and it really does help with motivation. You click something every time a task is completed for the day , and it creates a "streak " which can be maintained etc.

I've always been very self-motivated with practice . So, it's somewhat difficult for me to understand the need, but installing streaks app on students phone has been one of the easiest things to do to get them to practice more steadily. first came upon this phenomena when I was transporting one of my own kids friends in the front to the car. He was randomly taking pictures of the sky to keep "streaks" going on Snapchat or something.

Anyway, with lessons I mostly get them to do time benchmarks . I tell them to do different time increments : five minutes, 20 minutes , 45 minutes etc. If they practice the longer increment, they check off the shorter ones as well. I want them to at least practice five or 20 minutes on days when they "don't have time to practice".

I think the one I use is called "streaks" actually, available on both platforms for smart phones . To make it more of a specific music app, it would really need to have some more specific templates for types of things to practice, "Notes" options For progress etc. , The ability to include links, and probably more specific " open with" options for things like MP3 or PDF etc. I know that last bit is probably blue sky type stuff, but I don't know what you're looking for exactly. Good luck!

By the way, the OP strongly implied that he enjoys this type of thing. It's silly to keep on with "paper and pencil" and " time wasting" comments for someone who is legitimately interested in developing an app etc.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for the comments. I will consider all of this. I like that streaks idea, that seems pretty cool.

If I decide to develop something, is anybody up for testing it out??? This wouldn't be right away of course, but I may give it a go, and see if I can come up with something.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonB
    Thanks everyone for the comments. I will consider all of this. I like that streaks idea, that seems pretty cool.

If I decide to develop something, is anybody up for testing it out??? This wouldn't be right away of course, but I may give it a go, and see if I can come up with something.
    Yeah, I'd consider it.

User Info Menu

Are the free parts of Modacity good? If not, how much are the in-app purchases?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blues
    Yeah, I'd consider it.
    Cool, thanks man

User Info Menu

There are literally THOUSANDS of songs on iReal Pro, with chord notes, and band in a box background options. It was a one-time purchase app for my iPad a year ago.