Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

What is the best app for downloading chord charts/lead sheets on the fly to an android tablet? We occasionally get a request that the singer knows the words to, but I'm not up on the changes. This is especially true for some pop stuff that I've heard but never bothered to learn. I know there are lots of places on the interweb that show the changes to about any tune you might want but I'd like to be able to access them via WiFi during the gig in real time or on break. Since I mostly think in Nashville number system, it's easy to transpose as needed. I just don't know if there's an app that will let me access lots of tunes. We mostly do oldies, classic rock, classic country, some standards, etc. Any thoughts? Maybe I'm looking for something that doesn't exist. I do have a notepad in my phone with the changes to some tunes that we only do occasionally and that I have trouble remembering especially bridges....I'm terrible about remembering bridges to songs.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
    I know there are lots of places on the interweb that show the changes to about any tune you might want but I'd like to be able to access them via WiFi during the gig in real time or on break.
    Access them on an android web browser like chrome since you are connected to the web with wifi.

User Info Menu

Duh, why didn't I think of that? Trying to make things complicated, I guess.

OTOH, what's a good app for downloading and storing chord charts in advance? I know there are lots of them out there for jazz/standards, but how about pop/country/oldies, etc.? Maybe I'll just have to keep entering them by hand but it would be nice to have a source.

User Info Menu

Might be worth looking at the iReal Pro forum: iReal Pro Forums . Although the app comes with loads of jazz standards, I think there are other genre songlists created by users on the forum, which you can download. You can manually enter your own songs in it too if you want.

User Info Menu

iRealPro seems to be the standard. You can download charts for countless songs. The jazz bundle alone has 1200 songs, plus there are trad jazz, gypsy jazz, pop, and what-have-you bundles as well. The app costs a little, but all the songs are free. Another app that also can use .pdf files, and can display standard notation lead sheets in addition to chord charts, is Fakebook Pro. I have both on my phone, and use either as I choose. Fakebook Pro has a rather clunky interface, and the search function on iRealPro is much better, but they both do the job. Neither is perfect, but both are adequate. Because of the limitations and the file format, iRealPro songs take up very little storage space, so you can store many thousands of songs on a phone even if it has limited storage available. PDF files are bigger. Another nice feature of iRealPro is that it can play backing for all its tunes using a midi function. It's not like tracks made by real musicians, but it's good enough for practicing and learning tunes. Both can instantly transpose songs in proprietary format chord charts to any key.

It's worth it to me to have both. With Fakebook, I can scan sheet music into .pdf files and import into it easily, so that's what I use if I have sheet music for a song. iReal is easier to enter chord charts. Both have tons of songs of all genres available for free download. I see no good reason not to have both installed and use whichever is easier at the time.

User Info Menu

IRealPro is a superb app. Around here, everybody has it. You can get a zillion tunes and keep them in your phone. I use it as a practice tool as well. It generates nice backing tracks with lots of options to get the rhythm and mix you want. Any tempo. Any key.

The only weakness is that it's chords only. No melody.

For melody, around here, I see people using tablets. There are fakebooks with clickable indexes floating around the net. The clickable index is the key.

There is an app called ForScore that some people I know really like. Somehow, it can organized disparate sources. You get a way to look up charts in different fakebooks and other sources very quickly. As far as I know, it is not available for Windows.

User Info Menu

Ideal is absolutely brilliant for that ....

Best few bucks you'll ever spend

Apple or Android

User Info Menu

Anybody use a thing called 'Songbook'? Downloaded a demo of it yesterday and it seems to do what I want. Lets you copy and past lyrics with chords from the web then changes them to 'ChordPro' format and I think it'll transpose. Pretty cheap, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    Ideal is absolutely brilliant for that ....

Best few bucks you'll ever spend

Apple or Android
    Couldn't find anything called 'Ideal' for storing music - do you have a link?

User Info Menu

Never heard of Songbook, but then I haven't been looking. What I have works well for me. In the end, whatever works for you is fine.

User Info Menu

I just got a "2 in 1" Windows laptop. I can fold the kb back so it looks like a tablet.

It's big enough that I could read three pages side by side in landscape orientation, but Adobe will only do 2 pages side by side.

Does anybody know of software which will display a pdf and give you an option to put 3 pages on the screen at once (pretty small, but still legible)?

I have lots of fakebooks in electronic form. I even have a clickable index that works with a bunch of them.

But, in tablet mode, the index isn't clickable. I can' t use it if I have to scroll 150 pages to get to a tune.

Is there any Windows software which solves this problem?

Apparently, ForScore does it for Mac and/or Android.

User Info Menu

The way I found to do this in Windows 10 is to create a new pdf document in which each landscape page contains 3 of the original pages side by side

- open the pdf
    - select print ... this opens the print option page .. select Microsoft print to pdf
    - click the "multiple" form entry
    - use pages per sheet 3 by 1, horizontal, and landscape page format
    - scale as needed if you want each original page bigger
    - print it
    Perfection is in the Details, but Perfection isn't a Detail (Leonardo da Vinci)

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar View Post
    I just got a "2 in 1" Windows laptop. I can fold the kb back so it looks like a tablet.

It's big enough that I could read three pages side by side in landscape orientation, but Adobe will only do 2 pages side by side.

Does anybody know of software which will display a pdf and give you an option to put 3 pages on the screen at once (pretty small, but still legible)?
    I use Okular, and it has a View Mode that has three pages side by side. There seems to be a Windows version as well: Okular - more than a reader

I would go with mhch's suggestion though - it's simple and foolproof.