The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I have been "cherry-picking" Jazz instructional material (and some from other genres). Rather than killing my printer and going broke on ink, I thought it might be wise to use a Kindle instead.

Have any of you done this? Will it readily display the .pdf documents, such as from Matt Warnock and Dirk's instructional books? Can the hold a lot of content or do they tend to be limited?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

yes it's just like an ipad basically it'll play audio and view pdfs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    I have been "cherry-picking" Jazz instructional material (and some from other genres). Rather than killing my printer and going broke on ink, I thought it might be wise to use a Kindle instead.

Have any of you done this? Will it readily display the .pdf documents, such as from Matt Warnock and Dirk's instructional books? Can the hold a lot of content or do they tend to be limited?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.
    Depending on which size you have, it might be on the small side, but storage shouldn't be a major issue. I have the Amazon Fire tablet (8", I think; don't have it in front of me to check). I keep my fake books on it. It's readable close in, but difficult at music-stand distance.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m78w
    yes it's just like an ipad basically it'll play audio and view pdfs.
    There's different types of kindles
    I've got a kindle Fire 7".. It'll display pdfs ok
    Yeah it's an Android tablet

I think a bigger screen would be better tho

The ebook type kindles are a different beast ...
    I don't know any one who used these for music etc

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies. This looks to be promising.

User Info Menu

If you are willing to spend a little more, an iPad with forScore works great.

User Info Menu

I agree with getting a bigger screen...its worth spending the extra money to get a bigger screen if you are going to use it on a music stand...I downloaded some music stuff and to see very much of it, my screen, a mini-ipad, was too small for these old eyes...if you make it larger, then you can only see a small section at a time. Just my 2c worth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcpicker47
    I agree with getting a bigger screen...its worth spending the extra money to get a bigger screen if you are going to use it on a music stand...I downloaded some music stuff and to see very much of it, my screen, a mini-ipad, was too small for these old eyes...if you make it larger, then you can only see a small section at a time. Just my 2c worth.
    I probably won't be using it on a stand. I envisioned using it to read my various jazz book downloads primarily so I don't have to use up ink printing. I can print only pages that I need. I have some nice material already that I could upload.

User Info Menu

They do provide a free Kindle app on Mac or PC and this is much better. I have a Knidle, but prefer the computer viewer for anything instructional. However I really only do this for software and programming books, but I think the same would apply for music books. Try it with sample books- all free!

User Info Menu

I have a Kindle reader on my iPad. Those Kindle screens are too small for me.

User Info Menu

I own a Kindle Fire 10, Apple Ipad, and a MS Surface Pro 4. All but the Kindle Readers can read PDFs adequately. There is ample storage in all 3. I also own a couple of Kindle Readers a well as a Kobo and I wouldn't consider them adequate for anything but book i.e. novel reading. The Kindle Fire 10 is decently sized and capable of reading pdfs. I don't use it because my Surface Pro is (a) larger, B) runs a full PDF editor, 3) runs all Windows software e.g. Transcribe, Neck Diagrams, BIAB etc. 4) runs Kindle app and a good Android emulator. Plus all my business software.

The Kindle 10 is Ok but it is too small IMO for music stand reading at the usual distance. Frankly even my Surface Pro isn't big enough for me. As far as Kindle music books, it is hit or miss depending on the publisher. Some work great, others only scale up the text but leave the music in capable of enlarging. This seems to happen more with the older Kindle books.

I am waiting for Onyx to release a side lit version of their Boox Maxk2. I also wish it would drop in price but if they side lit it I would go for it,