Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

A company called BandLab bought Sonar from Gibson and renamed it Cakewalk, its old name, and has released it for free for Win 7 64 or later.

BandLab Technologies x Cakewalk | Important Announcement

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is a deal. Free Cakewalk (Sonar Platinum) minus the bundled 3rd party content. That is a powerful DAW.

BandLab: Music Starts Here

User Info Menu

Just downloaded it and tested it with projects I previously recorded with Sonar X3 - seems to be entirely compatible, with twice as many plug-ins. What's not to like !
    Have no secrets, hear no lies.

User Info Menu

Free? Weird. This is a game changer.
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

User Info Menu

Wow, is there a catch?
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Great info, thanks, TedBPhx! I'm a long-time Sonar user, currently on 2015 Platinum. I'll have to check this out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Wow, is there a catch?
    You have to sign up to BandLab - so they will probably sell your personal data and voting preferences to Cambridge Analytica, assuming they don't already have it.

Joking aside - I signed up and although I may never use it, it sounds quite interesting.
    Have no secrets, hear no lies.

User Info Menu

I believe there is an option to turn off bandlab (it is certainly possible through windows). It seems like a good thing. Once installed, the program says it is on a 6 month lisence only, but according to the cakewalk forums:

" QUICK UPDATE: The 04-10-2018 in the license/about us is just an arbitrary 6 month date set for authorization checks - it's confusing and will be removed in future versions. It's NOT an expiry date :-) "

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense View Post
    Just downloaded it and tested it with projects I previously recorded with Sonar X3 - seems to be entirely compatible, with twice as many plug-ins. What's not to like !
    Are you able to use either EZDrummer and/or EZKeys with it?

I'm new to Cakewalk/Sonar, so it's most probably user error, but I just can't figure out how to use'em. In Studio One is no problem, in Cakewalk, not a clue.

EDIT: I figured it out: the path of the 64-bit plug-ins I have was not registered by the program at the install, so I just went to "Settings", found where to point out the new path, and the program created a new folder in the "instrument" drop-down menu called "uncategorized", and they're all there. Problem solved!
    Last edited by LtKojak; 04-18-2018 at 11:53 PM.
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy
    https://soundcloud.com/theodore-koja...hy-bro-project
    Hy-Bro Test Sound Files

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep View Post
    Free? Weird. This is a game changer.
    I think so, too. I've been on Sonar since Sonar 3, and I was on 2015 Platinum prior to this BandLab event.

This release is an upgrade to current, for me, and I was already in their camp -- So, all good, and no learning curve.

The BandLab version is full-featured Sonar, folks. If you're interested in multi-track recording, this is worth a look, particularly if you're not already deeply vested in a competing platform.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim View Post
    Can you write out a full big band score and extract the individual parts with Cakewalk?
    Not sure if you're being tongue-in-cheek, but Sonar is not the app for what you describe. On the other hand, Sibelius (and there are others) is.

User Info Menu

Can you write out a full big band score and extract the individual parts with Cakewalk?
    You could compose the score in staff view, but would most likely need to import it into finale or sibelius to extract the parts, plus sonar doesn't score any dynamics notation in the music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster View Post
    Not sure if you're being tongue-in-cheek, but Sonar is not the app for what you describe. On the other hand, Sibelius (and there are others) is.
    Sonar, like most other DAWs, when using the midi sequencing function, works as a music notation program, entering music to record by entering notes on the staff, and then providing printable sheet music if desired. Not equal in quality or function as a dedicated notation program.

That seems like an awful lot of work that could be avoided. I write charts every week or so for a seven horns student jazz band, and with a program like sibelius all you do is write the score into it (using either a midi keyboard or mouse and keyboard). Then you press one button and it prints all parts by itself. Transposing the entire tune or changing instrument for a part is also one click away. You should definitely check out sibelius/finale or even Musescore (a free program with some limitations, but pretty good for charts).

If using a midi keyboard, you can always use quantize or even step recording for better results.

User Info Menu

One of the best programs to do that is the following:

Notion 6 | PreSonus Shop

It's too offered in a bundle with the Studio One DAW.
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy
    https://soundcloud.com/theodore-koja...hy-bro-project
    Hy-Bro Test Sound Files