The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

I have a nice amp, an E609, SM57, and Samson VR88 for microphones, and record into Reaper. I currently have a little Behringer mixing board/interface, but I'm pretty sure it's the root of a lot of my recording issues. My Zoom sounds better than my current recording setup.
    Any recommendations for a decent interface in the $200 range? Is that enough to get something decent?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I use one of these Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 | Sweetwater

- very transparent and well within budget, so enough change to buy one of these: Alto Professional - ZMX Series > ZMX862

User Info Menu

What kind of zoom recorder do you have? Some of them can do duty as an interface. Presonus, Steinberg, Focusrite all offer plenty of quality, budget friendly gear well within your price range.

User Info Menu

I use the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 but also like the ProSonus Audiobox iTwo.

I play around with ideas on recording. Currently, the direct line from the amp goes into one channel of the Audiobox, and a Shure SM57 on the speaker goes to the other channel. I'm really trying to see how the mic position changes the sound, using the direct line as a control.

User Info Menu

Another Focusrite Scarlett i2 user here. I am happy enough with it. Sometimes I’d like to have a channel or two more. Hence I may upgrade to the next higher model eventually.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morroben
    I have a nice amp, an E609, SM57, and Samson VR88 for microphones, and record into Reaper. I currently have a little Behringer mixing board/interface, but I'm pretty sure it's the root of a lot of my recording issues. My Zoom sounds better than my current recording setup.
    Any recommendations for a decent interface in the $200 range? Is that enough to get something decent?
    I've got a Personus Audiobox (the 24-bit/44.1khz version), which was about $80. It works for me, but my needs are simple. I'm fine with just two inputs outputs. The preamps are quiet, I don't experience any noticeable latency, sound quality is better than my hearing, and it works seamlessly with my DAW (Garageband). There's a slightly more expensive variant that has a 96k bit rate.

Whether a $200-ish interface would be good enough for you depends on your needs. The more you spend, the more ins and outs, the more ruggedly built a box, and the better quality convertors you get. For most people doing basic, one instrument at a time, all in the box recording, the lower end options from the usual suspects (Focusrite, Presonus, M-Audio, Tascam ...) are all fine. If your needs are more complex (e.g., recording a whole band live with external effects), you probably need to spend more.

John

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I have the M-Audio M-track, 2 inputs, minimum fuss, works fine, but I added the ART USB Dual Tube Pre, and any acoustic sounds, from guitar to vocals to horns, really benefit from the tubes. I think the both of them together totaled less than $200, and I have 4 channels available.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    I have the M-Audio M-track, 2 inputs, minimum fuss, works fine, but I added the ART USB Dual Tube Pre, and any acoustic sounds, from guitar to vocals to horns, really benefit from the tubes. I think the both of them together totaled less than $200, and I have 4 channels available.
    This is interesting. So you're running the M-Audio and ART separately, for a total of 4 channels? I didn't realize that a DAW could recognize 2 different interfaces simultaneously.
    I would probably only want one unit due to desk space issues. The ART looks interesting. The Alesis stuff gets great reviews, too. I might try to do some more research on that ART.

User Info Menu

Just a FYI the NAMM show is going on now and companies are making announcement on new products and I've seen some new interfaces from a couple companies so check the new stuff before you buy.

Seen M-Audio mentioned and my first interface was one of their little ones, and hate to say my current interface the new version of the M-Audio because they are inexpensive. BUT what I don't like about M-Audio their mic' pre seem to be very low output and I have to crank their gear more than other brands. And we know you crank gear you increase noise.

User Info Menu

In the past couple of weeks I've auditioned an Audient iD4 and a Presonus Studio 26 to replace a no-longer-supported Apogee Duet firewire 400. I ended up keeping the Presonus because it has MIDI in and out and also 4 output channels. The Audient has a really nice sounding DI for recording instruments—very nice for fattening up the guitar tone before sending the signal into a modeler. The Audient also has a single large knob that you can map on-the-flu to control interface elements...very cool. If I didn't need the extra outputs, I definitely would have gone with the Audient.

User Info Menu

Are you recording acoustic or electric?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Just a FYI the NAMM show is going on now and companies are making announcement on new products and I've seen some new interfaces from a couple companies so check the new stuff before you buy.

Seen M-Audio mentioned and my first interface was one of their little ones, and hate to say my current interface the new version of the M-Audio because they are inexpensive. BUT what I don't like about M-Audio their mic' pre seem to be very low output and I have to crank their gear more than other brands. And we know you crank gear you increase noise.
    Get an Art Tube preamp.
    I'd stay away from the USB ones. They seem to have issues. It's a good intro to tube swapping too.

Thanks
    I was just looking for something like that

User Info Menu

I use the MOTU 4pre. Great device with pro quality pres. I'm on a Macintosh computer so not sure how Windows compatibility is but fantastic with MacOS, pretty well plug and play. It supports both USB and Firewire.

MOTU.com - Features

Recording interface recommendations?-4pre-display-hero1-jpg

User Info Menu

How does the Behringer interface with your computer? I'm asking because if you are plugging audio into your computer then you are using the computer soundcard to do the audio to digital conversions. In that case, that could be the problem. If so, you still need an interface, but your board may be fine as a mixing board.

I use a Behringer UMC404 and it works great imo. Here is a demo:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    How does the Behringer interface with your computer? I'm asking because if you are plugging audio into your computer then you are using the computer soundcard to do the audio to digital conversions. In that case, that could be the problem. If so, you still need an interface, but your board may be fine as a mixing board.

The Behringer has a usb out to the computer.

User Info Menu

I use a Focusrite 18i8. It works well.

User Info Menu

I have a 212, but I don't use it much.

A bassist friend, a trained electrical engineer, has the same 212.

We tried to stack them to make the equivalent of a 4 channel system, but we couldn't figure it out.

It sounds fine.

The software it came with was difficult to use. Ableton.

I end up using my Yamaha Pocketrak for most things. But, I'm not trying to make commercial quality recordings.

BTW, we originally got one 212 to record guitar and bass. A saxophonist friend walks in, and we're immediately short on channels. You probably never have enough channels.

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I have a 212, but I don't use it much.

A bassist friend, a trained electrical engineer, has the same 212.

We tried to stack them to make the equivalent of a 4 channel system, but we couldn't figure it out.

It sounds fine.

The software it came with was difficult to use. Ableton.

I end up using my Yamaha Pocketrak for most things. But, I'm not trying to make commercial quality recordings.

BTW, we originally got one 212 to record guitar and bass. A saxophonist friend walks in, and we're immediately short on channels. You probably never have enough channels.
    Did you mean Scarlett 2i2?

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Hey all...first post. I'm not new to guitar (playing since the late 80s), and I'm not new to jazz (took up jazz piano and sax starting in the mid-90s), and I often played jazzy-sounding stuff on guitar, but I only recently took up a disciplined study of jazz guitar.

I do know computer music, audio, and MIDI software/hardware systems quite well; hopefully, I can help out here while sucking up all your jazz guitar knowledge.

I'd recommend adding the Apogee One to your consideration list. It's $250 new, which isn't too far off $200, and, although it does far less than what you'll see from competing interfaces in that price range, what it lacks in features it makes up for in quality. It's only got 2 inputs, which you can use simultaneously, although they aren't really appropriate for stereo since 1 is a DI and the other is either a preamp or the built-in, still-quite-usable condenser microphone. At $250, a high-quality DI (instrument to line level), a solid mic preamp (mic to line level), a very serviceable built-in microphone, and pro-quality ADDA conversion is really a bargain.

For recording a single guitar at a time, it's great. You can record a DI and a miked amp as separate tracks, and you can mix to taste after the fact...or just use 1 channel. Either way, the One is capable of getting a good sound.

User Info Menu

I bought one in August for $219.00 at Sweetwater , they are priced at that same
    amount now .

They are really nice units

EZ :

HR

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep

I have one of these also and it's fairly easy to use ( USB connection )

I think it's probably the least expensive interface with 4 distinct in/out channels.

User Info Menu

I use Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 (it's really great).

User Info Menu

I've used Focusrite Scarlett Solo, 2i2, 18i8.

They're OK.